Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

RC DOU 42

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
ShaneB
United States of America

RC DOU 42

#1 Post by ShaneB » Thu May 21, 2020 4:38 pm

I have been collecting WWI & WWII firearms for a few years, but this is my first true mauser rifle. I picked it up to be a shooter and to stay within my budget. I would love a real numbers matched K98k, but that is out of my price range currently, and only seems to be climbing haha.
Attachments
RC K98 reciever marks.jpg
RC K98 waffenampts.jpg
RC K98 side.jpg
RC K98 bolt side.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: RC DOU 42

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Thu May 21, 2020 6:42 pm

Who is the importer that put the serial number on the receiver so big ? Can you show a photo of the import mark, and top of the bolt.
Time for some charcoal grill, high temp paint to subdue the marking. Can you feel the raised numbers?
It appears to be a Russian capture? Does it have the traits of an RC? see viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1911
Odd that the left side serial number was scrubbed during the Russian rebuild and blued over then restamped on the receiver top. It is the same on the stock :7312. This is the first time I saw the removal of the original serial number on the receiver of a RC by the Russians. Does this rifle have the X? I assume the bolt matches the serial Number 7312 and the bore is almost new since you wanted a shooter. Is the bolt electrowritten on the top with the serial # 7312? This rifle is a nice example except for that new dot matrix serial number placed so large on the receiver. But, on the other hand, the dirty birds are intact and not pinged out. Those RCs make excellent shooters. You will love that rifle.

If that new serial number is raised I'd lightly ping it down and apply a blueing paste or charcoal grill/auto high temp black paint to make it less visible. DO NOT REMOVE THAT NEW STAMPED serial #, just subdue its obvious nature. Some are flat and just need some paint; others are deeply stamped, laser etched and have raised edges that can be slightly flattened by a rub down so it's not felt with your finger then reblued or painted in the numbers low spots so it does not look like bare metal or white paint. Just rub a hard steel Snap On or MAC screw driver shaft over the edges and it smoothes them over, yet is still readable.
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 7.04.28 PM.png
I see the redish stock and stock #, are the other RC attributes present? Or is this a possible Classic Arms, cleaned up, K98k, RC modified rifle?
See one of the many posts about Classic Arms K98k batches of rifles they sold. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2084
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

ShaneB
United States of America

#3 Post by ShaneB » Fri May 22, 2020 4:54 pm

The bore is not perfect, but looks very serviceable. I do not have a picture of the Import mark currently but I know it's a C.A.I. import marked under the barrel near the front sight post, it is almost not visible when the cleaning rod is installed. The serial on the receiver is unfortunate, but I've never attempted to dull one down before like you suggested. The electropencil numbers all match #7312, I've been told because the serial is restamped on the top of the receiver with the "X" it may have been an Albanian rework.
Attachments
RC K98 bolt marks.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Fri May 22, 2020 7:16 pm

Russian captures were all reblued, and this rifle also has the tell tale electro pencil markings that are a forced match. Most Romanian/Balkan/Albanian capture K98k rifles show considerable wear. These are mostly found as an almost matching rifle; parts match except for the bolt and maybe the floor plate. Some have unnumbered floor plates. These rifles have not gone through a total rebuild. Stocks match and these have not been cleaned, redone, or refinished. All I have seen were lacking a re blue and had most of the rifle part's serial numbers as original matching German numbers. The biggest difference between an RC and Balkan K98K is that the later really wanted all the Nazi markings removed- and I mean obliterated. Scratched, punched, ground or pinged off the rifle. There is no stock serial number stamped on the Butt stock flat left side. Century added the dot matrix serial number to the receiver, which I believe is a recent practice. The serial number on the side of the stock is also a standard attribute/feature of an RC K98k. An intriguing rifle. Take a look at this old post> viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13

Yours is an interesting specimen. Do you have any links to such Albanian rifle specimens with scrubbed serial numbers and a re stamped serial # on the top like yours? I have got to search around for an example.

Please consider a photographic documentation. That rifle is so nice it would be interesting when you have time to photo document all markings, stamped, electro written, line outs and all the parts with such markings like the stock-its cartouches and number, the bolt and its markings, the barrel, barrel bands , floor plate& follower, receiver, trigger assy and more. Just a nice array of views say about 20 or so close up views. Most have never seen an RC rifle restamped in such a manner. But with RCs, you just never know what Ivan was drinking. And its import mark and that serial number on the receiver suggest a later import. I'd say around post 2012 and, it definitely has the post 2002, “must be conspicuous.” look. The first batches were around 1999-2003 tons of RCs showed up. By 2007/09 things got thin. Then later batches showed up in small groups post 2015.
Does anyone reading this have another example with a serial # re stamped at the top of the receiver??? And the scrubbed original.

Question does the barrel # match the receiver #? That bolt flat was also ground? Thanks for that great photo and reply.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Tuna
United States of America

#5 Post by Tuna » Mon May 25, 2020 2:13 pm

The dot matrix serial number is done by the importer. It is now required to be on all imports by BATF. This is now the serial number sent to BATF for their files. It tracks all imported firearms. Just another case of Big Brother watching.

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#6 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Tue May 26, 2020 4:23 am

I thought it was a done by the importer to simplify things. Easier to apply a new number than read the old one. And everything is in a nice clean order.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

ShaneB
United States of America

#7 Post by ShaneB » Tue May 26, 2020 11:50 pm

The barrel does not have a serial number that I can see, but I have not had it out of the stock yet. I don’t know if any other Albanian captures that look like this, that’s just what I was told when I picked the gun up in a trade. I have a few more pictures of the rifle on hand, but can add any more you would like to see.
Attachments
RC mag plate.jpg
RC stock number.jpg
RC bolt stop.jpg
RC bolt side view.jpg
RC Front band bolt side.jpg

ShaneB
United States of America

#8 Post by ShaneB » Tue May 26, 2020 11:51 pm

More pictures
Attachments
RC rear band serial.jpg
RC front band serial.jpg
RC under rear sight.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#9 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 27, 2020 9:45 am

Thank You.
That is a perfect example of a Russian Capture with all the attributes of an RC. It is the first I have seen where the serial number on the receiver was scrubbed & restamped. Generally if the barrel or stock was damaged on a capture, it was not repaired. It was scrapped or used to heat the building. As pure speculation, I wonder if that was a German WW II field repair where the number was restamped on the top of the receiver? This is the first RC where a scrubbed original receiver number appears and is restamped at the top. All of the many I have seen have the original German barrel and receiver serial number. Russians did not repair/switch out barrels. The barrels always match while all the other parts are a mix- a miss match as to serial number or late to early/stamped to milled parts parts. Even the stocks were miss matched. Some late parts may be on an early manufactured rifle, and some early parts on a late manufactured rifle.

What is best, is that your specimen still retains its original RC condition, except for the added cleaning rod & lock screws. CLASSIC, the original owner Classic added cleaning rods and lock screws in the better specimens they sold years ago. Each K98k was listed and sold separately with individual photos and descriptions. Except back then there was no dot matrix serial number on the receiver. Do you know if this rifle originated from the New Classic Arms batches they recently sold?

:arrow: Consider Maintaining the original RC state/nature, for top value. No one has buffed the RC electro written line outs or serial numbers, the stock still retains its RC shellac and color. Keep it in its RC nature-- it is an odd version. Can I repost some of your photos and your rifle in my K98 post, in this old post: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1911

It is a perfect example of you never know what RC attributes show up on a Russian capture. A link to this post & full credit will be given. Could you take one more macro photo close up of the receiver's top with the restamped receiver serial number so we can see the font more clearly. Thanks.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed May 27, 2020 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

ShaneB
United States of America

#10 Post by ShaneB » Wed May 27, 2020 9:52 am

72 usmc wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:45 am
Can I repost some of your photos and your rifle in my K98 post, in this old post: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1911

It is a perfect example of you never know what RC attributes show up on a Russian capture. A link & full credit will be given.

Absolutely you can use my photos in that link! I’m glad to add anything to the collective knowledge of this forum. I plan on keep the rifle in it’s current state, just with the possibility of filling that dot matrix serial number up with something to dull how noticeable it is as suggested. Cool to hear I have one of the many different odd examples of an RC K98.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#11 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 27, 2020 10:18 am

Thanks,
After seeing how unique that rifle is I WOULD DO VERY LITTLE so as not to alter the rifle & destroy its value. RC collectors search out such odd variations, but want them as found. I have an RC in a sniper stock.
Might I suggest just black grill paint. That is a rather unique specimen. I am sorry I posted that information :oops: . That is not a common RC. It is special. I would not alter the nature of the raised stamp & no blue that could stain & then not match the RC blue. Just dab some dull black grill paint into the mark. Nothing more. Knowing what I know now, that is all I would do. Heck, if it was mine and I was lucky enough to find such an example, I would keep it as a type specimen and not shoot it. I would remove the reproduction rod & lock screws, and hang it on the wall as a type specimen. Note these are later additions, RCs originally arrived missing the sight hood, cleaning rods & lock screws. I got to do some research what German field repairs occurred. It just makes me sick the importers put a serial number on the rifle as post 2002 Fed regulations.

Thank You, when time permits Could you take one more macro photo close up of the receiver's top with the restamped receiver serial number so we can see the font more clearly.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#12 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 27, 2020 1:27 pm

Posted, thanks again added that lower photo-perfect.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed May 27, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShaneB
United States of America

#13 Post by ShaneB » Wed May 27, 2020 10:13 pm

I took the best photo of the restamped serial on the top of the receiver as I could in my indoor lighting. I do not have anything on hand to change the dot matrix numbers so I will leave them as is as you now suggest. I guess I’ll be back on the market for a more run of the mill Russian capture to put the cleaning rod and capture screws on to take out shooting haha. I will have to group the rifle at least once to see how it shoots, bullet test makes me think it will be a rather nice shooter but don’t wanna damage value at the range.
Attachments
01531E34-2AE6-4E49-A876-4FA8A60DB56C.jpeg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#14 Post by 72 usmc » Thu May 28, 2020 9:31 am

If that cleaning rod is a Classic add on by the old owners of Classic; he had a guy hand make/machine those special and those rods are the best reproductions to be found. Later cheep reproductions bend easy due to soft steel, thread shaft different, head cut incorrect, straight edges, cheep incorrect blue. I think in my K98K link I show my Classic cleaning rod and the RC rifle with the star on the stock. Classic 2002-2007 rods are very well done reproductions, over the years some have aged and are difficult to ID as Repros. New ones you can tell a mile away. Just cheep Indian or Chinese junk. I think you are aware of this, but others may want to read up on reproduction cleaning rods: http://www.webuyrifles.com/rods/rods.htm

ShaneB
United States of America

#15 Post by ShaneB » Thu May 28, 2020 12:00 pm

I’m no expert on the cleaning rods, and have been assuming mine is a reproduction. If it is, I think it is one of the earlier ones that is of good quality that you mentioned, as it is very solid, has the pointed screw tip and the tapered slot like an original. However it is a 10 inch rod without a serial number or waffenampts, so no dead giveaway that it is original.
Attachments
6532F491-2944-49DA-9335-EEE66B71C21B.jpeg
7CEDC541-C13B-484B-8407-6473D4B12CAC.jpeg
BB0BD7C1-196C-4744-B2AD-7B174543D070.jpeg

Return to “German Rifles”