Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

The mythical LHO

zfk55
United States of America

The mythical LHO

#1 Post by zfk55 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:54 pm

looks like were far enough into the prototype to be able to field-test the end of next week, so it won't hurt to show you guys the first 3D drawing. There are a few things that don't show here that make this one very unique, but you won't have to pay for a new broad or send yours. This one will cover what you already have.
lhob.jpg.png

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: The mythical LHO

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:59 pm

It will be nice if it works and is sold at a reasonable price.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

zfk55
United States of America

#3 Post by zfk55 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:03 am

Hi Bob. This is based on our original LHO we introduced back in 2008 and it functions smoother than the old Beurgin device. We made and sold approximately 110 of them with never a complaint.

The manufacture of those originals was very labor-intensive and after two years we stopped production because there was so little money in it for us. That means we kept it below the cost of the Beurgin LHO, but that also meant we made approx 25% after manufacturing costs. Even though we machined the parts all of the bending was done by hand hydraulics and of course that meant multiple times on the hydraulics because of natural steel spring back. After the shaping. filing the metal that expressed itself at the bends was required and then the fine finishing of the steel itself. The final cost factor was not particularly inexpensive, and that was shipping to Seattle for Rockwell hardening of the rearward assist lever.
The original design is nothing more than a labor of love from me and I knew we had to keep the cost factor as low as possible. That proved very difficult to do.

Tolerances were critical and the point of contact of the rearward assist level on the boat bug face was also critical to avoid stress on the op-rod during the first quarter inch of rearward extraction. Just before bluing we welded one of our own op rods to the bridge. I had originally purchased 115 op rods through my representative in Switzerland and that, of course added to the cost factor. Three years ago I brought in another 100 op rods anticipating starting up the program again, but after the bookkeeper having run or factual costs in-house, I dumped the program. Those op-rods are the ones you see on our website as up for sale.

This new design is machined completely the bends the tolerances predetermined in the step files. It eliminates the need for us to supply an original oprod to the kit.

This is the original SP left-hand operating mechanism.
lho1.jpg
lho1.jpg (10.75 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
LHO001.jpg
Last edited by zfk55 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zfk55
United States of America

#4 Post by zfk55 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:06 am

duplicate. Sorry.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:35 am

I would be interested in one for our rapid-fire long range match to see if I could match the speed using my right hand to operate the bolt while shooting left handed.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

zfk55
United States of America

#6 Post by zfk55 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:36 pm

Bob, what I will be doing In the field testing will indeed be rapid recycling of the Bolt. I will be duplicating the initial tests done on our original LHO with a minimum of 1000 cycles, and to pass muster it must cycle correctly every single time without a hitch. Failing that, it would go back into a reworking of the original design but I don't expect that will happen with this one. The critical point will be the rearward assist lever pulling the bolt that first quarter inch out of battery and moving smoothly to the rear and straight back into battery again. What we will be watching for is any side thrust whatsoever to the operating rod and we control that with a black substance put on both sides of the rod and then examined for equal wear on the surface of the anodizing. The finished product is always blued steel but we do use an anodizing facsimile in certain areas of field testing that show friction.
I typically choose one person from among the forums for an out of house field test. If you are in fact a left-hander, you can let me know if you're interested in being the party to do the out of house field test.
P

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:00 pm

PM sent.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Smokey
United States of America

#8 Post by Smokey » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:40 am

We have one of the older LHOs on my wife's K31. She has to shoot left handed; and needed a powerful rifle to deal with an assortment of big furry things that will stomp, chomp, claw and gore you. It works great and the end result is just what she needed. Thanks for the solution to what was a somewhat difficult problem.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

zfk55
United States of America

#9 Post by zfk55 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:29 am

lho22.jpg
This is LHO prototype number one. Function smoothly both directions.
All materials have been ordered for the shop and Lat will be bringing in all of the black screws required for assembly. We don't want to use the old G11 knobs because they are simply not hard enough for this application. The new knobs will be slightly taller to allow the use of gloves for winter shooting.

The "in the white" photographs always make things look larger than they really are. Except for the clamp, this is no larger than our last LH0. Now...,., as for costs.

The last LHO went for $225 and I was hoping to keep this one somewhat less, but because we're now using high tensile steel this time, machining time increases and changes of bits also increase. I don't want to have to send these off to Seattle for Rockwell hardening. By the time we got them back the process including shipping actually hurt us financially.

I know that after running the complete program, adding knobs, screws and bluing we are going to be at least at the old figure. It could increase from 5 to 8 dollars, but we're not sure yet. If the new nitride treatment works better than bluing, then it will reduce the cost just a bit, but this is my best shot, gents. It's been six years coming and I truly am keeping it as tight as I can. Cross your fingers, because I'm crossing everything I have.

Now, for you G 11 series owners. Were going to try it tomorrow afternoon, but I have a sneaking suspicion this might work for the G 11 and if it was the perfect fit it would only take a minor modification. I will let you know.

The profiles of the Screws that you're seeing will be shorter and less prominent in the finished piece,

zfk55
United States of America

#10 Post by zfk55 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:54 pm

The LH0 prototype is now proofed. Materials are on the way and will begin production as soon as they all arrive.

A long time coming............

Return to “Swiss Rifles”