Reloading 6.5x53R Dutch

Mausermaniac792

Reloading 6.5x53R Dutch

Post by Mausermaniac792 »

Hello all,

I picked up a 1918 Hemburg M95 Carbine and I want to start reloading for it. I know this is no easy task since there are no dies to be found or brass. I did some searching online and figured out that guys use 6.5 Mannlicher Schonauer dies and reform .303 British brass. I've been on Youtube and found that one individual sizes the .303 case straight down to 6.5mm. I think that is a bit of a jump and one could stand to loose many cases that way. Plus he does not actually show the process he uses to size them all the way through. On the other end of the spectrum there is an old thread where a guy uses about 5 different die sets to slowly size down the neck of the .303 case to 6.5mm. My question is does anyone have a way they do this without using a whole bunch of dies or jumping from .303 right down to 6.5mm? Any input is appreciated.
-Mausermaniac792

Cattus Borealis

Re: Reloading 6.5x53R Dutch

Post by Cattus Borealis »

Annealing is your friend in this quest. I have heard that Virgin Remington or Winchester 303 Brass is the best way to do it.

Mausermaniac792

I have a quantity of new Winchester brass as it seems once fired is a waste of time and PPU has rims that are too thick. Should I anneal this between stages of sizing down or just at the end when it is complete?

Cattus Borealis

Post by Cattus Borealis »

I would do this before any major sizing.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rapidrob »

Decades ago I posted an article on how to make 6.5 Dutch brass from .303 Britt. It has been long lost due to the three crashes of this site.
You need two die sets ( common to find used) I use more dies,but you can use two sets if you take your time.
New,unfired .303 brass. NEVER brass fired out of a SMLE rifle!
A case trimmer
Horandy Unique case lube. This is the only lube I have found that works very well with little effort to reshape the brass. No grease dents.
6.5 M/S full die set. ( exactly the same as 6.5 Dutch)
7mm-08 dies ( you can use .308 Winchester as well but the case neck may collapse/fold going into the 6.5 die) Remove the dies neck expander/decapper in the 7mm-08
1. Shove the shoulder back with the 7mm-08 die and resize the neck. Have the shoulder just under the normal position by .002* via a case drawing on the web of 6.5 M/S
2. Trim the brass to length
3. Size the brass to 6.5 M/S
4. Anneal cases
5. Load up.Same data as 6.5 M/S. The dutch rifles and carbines shoot the long heavy bullets very well. They do not like the light 6.5 bullets. ( I only shoot long range)
* Slug your bore. Do not assume the bore is .264 Keep your loads under 2,550 FPS. I load to 2,400 FPS and the long rifle is very accurate with a 160 grain FLAT based bullet.
I seat the bullets to just clear the magazine. I do crimp.
* The case head spaces on the RIM,not the shoulder. If the shoulder touches on the chamber with the new formed cases,you will not be able to close the bolt.
SOME .303 Britt brass is too thick at the web, the case will not chamber. If this is the case,you will have to turn the brass down. S&B brass was too thick for my firearms.
Check the necks for being too tight ( thickness) a too tight neck will cause excessive chamber pressures.
I use SLOW powders only. After the first loading,neck size only if you can get away with it.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Mausermaniac792

Thank you very much Rapidrob! exactly the info that I needed!

Return to “Reloading”