Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Jumped on the bandwagon..bought a 81 Beretta

dmg4
United States of America

Re: Jumped on the bandwagon..bought a 81 Beretta

#16 Post by dmg4 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 pm

The pistol I received looks new!
Unknown.jpeg
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

#17 Post by vonalt » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:21 am

OK for those of you who have one and have shot it, how is the recoil and ease of racking the slide? I have a friend who has arthritis in their hands. I am hoping it would make a nice self-defense pistol for them.

dmg4
United States of America

#18 Post by dmg4 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:15 pm

Recoil is nil in the 32 auto model 81. However, the slide would not be easy (in my opinion) for anyone with severe arthritis.

The easiest slide to rack I've ever encountered is the Star model B in 9 mm. It's a full-sized pistol, single action. Basically it's a 1911 without the grip safety and in 9mm. It's a very good, reliable, sufficiently accurate and easy to shoot pistol. I own two of them.

If you want something the size of the Beretta 81, but don't want to rack the slide to chamber a round every time, find a Beretta 86. It's the version of the 80-series that has a tip-up barrel. They are not common, and they are expensive when you find them. I looked for over a year to find one. They are 380 ACP, and have a bit more recoil than the 81 in 32 auto. But the fat grip on the 80-series pistols makes them very comfortable to shoot, even with a "hot" 380 load.

If your friend doesn't need a small pistol to carry, I'd get a Star model B. It's still one of the best bargains out there. If it must be a double action, and size is not an issue, than an alternative would be a Beretta 92 in 9mm.

There are also a lot of small and well-built revolvers out there looking for a home. No slide to rack, no safety to forget. The original point and shoot. They come in all sizes and calibers. Data suggests that most disagreements will be over in less than 6 rounds. If it's a Ruger, you can also use it as a club.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

#19 Post by vonalt » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Back in the 1970s I had a single action Italian made Bernardelli Model 80 auto in 32 caliber. Sweet accurate little auto the size of a PPK. The wife made me get rid of it cause she was afraid our son would find it and want to play with it. So I sold it, regretted it ever since.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”