Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Proper usgi stock for SA M1a?

KneverKnew
United States of America

Proper usgi stock for SA M1a?

#1 Post by KneverKnew » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:10 am

My son was given a nice SA M1a by a good friend of mine. It used to belong to his father. Came with a black crinkle paint fiberglass stock. My son would like a nice usgi stock for it this rifles serial number places build date in ‘73 according to SA. Original config was M1a loaded with wood stock.

I’m looking at stocks by gunbroker seller “antiquemilitary” to get a stock for my sons rifle for Christmas.

Would it be correct to get a SA original finish stock (more expensive) or would it Be just as fine to get an HRA or Winchester? Also, since I’m a Marine vet, I’m thinking of getting him the black Fiberglas USMC handguard.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Proper usgi stock for SA M1a?

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:50 pm

I have a couple of original stocks from the 60's in very good condition. No top "wood" if your interested.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

KneverKnew
United States of America

#3 Post by KneverKnew » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:33 pm

I appreciate the offer but was interested in antiquemilitary‘s stocks because of how nice some of their originals finish usgi stocks are. Just wondering if anyone has used this guy, antiquemilitary, before and if his stocks are decent deals. The one SA walnut stock I saw was over $200. It’s a special rifle for my boy so wanted it to be in a nice usgi stock, but still not break the bank.

ammolab
United States of America

#4 Post by ammolab » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:45 pm

KneverKnew
United States of America

#5 Post by KneverKnew » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:39 pm

I check our freds stocks and while the price is much better, I’m not able to refinish the stock at this point. Also would be nice to find a fancy curl if possible. I know. I’m sounding quite picky aren’t I.

Return to “M1A/M14”