Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Garand range report

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Garand range report

#1 Post by Calfed » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:15 am

A few years back the Civilian Marksmanship Program placed a few hundred of the "6.0 million", Garands up for sale.

These were the "Last of the Mohicans", as far as Garand production was concerned and most were originally made up as National Match rifles. The moniker "6.0 million Garand" refers to the serial number, which is anything over 6,xxx,xxx and denotes the very last production Garands.. I was able to glom two of them

Both of them, unfortunately, came with brand new wood. Fortunately they also came with National Match barrels that are like new. One is a 3-53 LMR NM barrel and the other a 3-52 SA NM barrel.

I made a quick trip to the range this afternoon and fired one of the "6 million" Garands.

I was rushed, so I only had time to zero the rifle with some LC ammo and then switched to the Hornady M1 match ammo. Five rounds @ 100 yards...

Right around 2 MOA

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Garand range report

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am

Good shooting with a great rifle Calfed.
Decades ago the DCM sold M1D's for a week turns out it was like a lottery. No internet so you had to send in your paperwork and a money order for 225 bucks.
I sent mine in but was too late by 12 hours. The DCM contacted me and wanted to sell me a M1 that was pulled from manufacturing to be converted to a M1D rifle.( verified by paperwork and serial numbers)
I replied not for 225 bucks ( no mount ,no scope) So I got an unissued M1 rifle for 175 dollars that will shoot with the best of them.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#3 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 pm

Very nice looking rifle.
I have only waited 8 years to shoot one i had rebarreled.

Around 1998 the cmp had a bunch of m1d's from various national guard units. Guns were ftom used to excellent to unissued since building or refurb. They were offered with Everything. Most all of it still factory bagged.
They did the lottery thing for those as well. They went for upwards of a grand. Waay over my budget. But that didn't stop me gfrom sending in my name. :)
This was around the time they changed their " ome per lifetime rule".
So in 2000 i snagged my second one for 420. Just before they raised the price to 520.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Calfed » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am
Good shooting with a great rifle Calfed.
Decades ago the DCM sold M1D's for a week turns out it was like a lottery. No internet so you had to send in your paperwork and a money order for 225 bucks.
I sent mine in but was too late by 12 hours. The DCM contacted me and wanted to sell me a M1 that was pulled from manufacturing to be converted to a M1D rifle.( verified by paperwork and serial numbers)
I replied not for 225 bucks ( no mount ,no scope) So I got an unissued M1 rifle for 175 dollars that will shoot with the best of them.
Thanks, Rob.

Man I see those M1D "kits" occasionally on the auctions. They claim not to have been opened and go for big bucks.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Calfed » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Charles Lipscomb wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 pm
Very nice looking rifle.
I have only waited 8 years to shoot one i had rebarreled.

Around 1998 the cmp had a bunch of m1d's from various national guard units. Guns were ftom used to excellent to unissued since building or refurb. They were offered with Everything. Most all of it still factory bagged.
They did the lottery thing for those as well. They went for upwards of a grand. Waay over my budget. But that didn't stop me gfrom sending in my name. :)
This was around the time they changed their " ome per lifetime rule".
So in 2000 i snagged my second one for 420. Just before they raised the price to 520.
Thanks, Charles.

I got my first one in around 2007...service grade for $565. I also got a FG for around $450 that was a WWII rifle and appeared to have it's original bbl. Over the years I've been a regular customer of the CMP and have been happy with everything that I've bought.

Return to “US Rifles”