Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Ljungman reloading

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Ljungman reloading

#1 Post by Calfed » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:53 pm

My sons and I shoot in a semi-monthly semi auto military silhouette match. We usually shoot Ljungmans, but occasionally will use a Hakim or Garand.

I've been using 36 grains of IMR 4064/140 gr Nosler Custom Competition
I'm also hitting about 5" above point of aim @ 100 yards with this load. My point of aim is 6 o'clock "pumpkin on a post". Both our Ljungmans have the +0.5 front sight.

Usually have a nice group and a flyer. This is typical...

Image[/QUOTE]

Recently began to refine my Ljungman loads. I reduced the powder charge from 36.0 to 34.5 grs of 4064, with Nosler 140 gr CC bullets, Prvi brass, CCI 34 primers, OAL 3.015. This shrank my groups a bit. It also tamed the extraction/ejection sequence a bit.

5 shot groups @ 100 yards

ammolab
United States of America

Re: Ljungman reloading

#2 Post by ammolab » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Looks good enough to me!!!

sowbelle
United States of America

#3 Post by sowbelle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:13 pm

This is why reloading is so fun. Precise loading for your rifle. Not a catch all recipe to fit all rifles.
I would maybe go down one grain to see what happens.
The key to all of this is to keep precise records. Temp, humidity, wind direction and speed. Obviously keep notes on the load itself. Try to keep as many variables under your control.This can make an ordinary rifle or pistol a tack driver!
Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:30 pm

Thats great shooting and the rifles sights are some of the best open sights on a rifle ever fielded.
I do lube my cases,as the Swedes did but use Borden's Slide-All dry film spray. I also made a gas pressure control valve which really saves the fired cases from damage when ejected.
I have shot the AG42B out to 800 yards and while not as accurate as their bolt rifles,it is a very close 2ND. Hits on a man sized torso sized target were easy to do.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Calfed » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:39 am

Thanks guys.

I got out to the range this weekend and took a few shots with my other Ljungman using the lighter loads. This time I was on the 200 yard range and I got the usual 4 decent shots and a flyer.

The 4 shot group was 2.25", or a little over 1 MOA. The flyer opened the group up to about 2 MOA. Group was shot with the rear sight set @ 100m

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Calfed » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:44 am

Rapidrob wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:30 pm
Thats great shooting and the rifles sights are some of the best open sights on a rifle ever fielded.
I do lube my cases,as the Swedes did but use Borden's Slide-All dry film spray. I also made a gas pressure control valve which really saves the fired cases from damage when ejected.
I have shot the AG42B out to 800 yards and while not as accurate as their bolt rifles,it is a very close 2ND. Hits on a man sized torso sized target were easy to do.
I usually use Slide all (as per a suggestion that you made to me years ago). I've run out of it (not easy to find around here, for some reason) and shot these rounds without any lube. Gun seemed to function fine, but I do notice that the cases look better after ejection when I use the slide all.

One of these days I'm going to have to locate the proper size screw and add the gas pressure device to my Ljungmans.

800 yards is amazing, Rob, for any milsurp rifle, let alone a semi. Great shooting!

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:35 pm

The 5TH round flier has always been a baffler. IMHO I think it has to do with the force or lack of the follower/ammo pushing on the bottom of the bolt carrier.
My rifle does the same thing as well.
I found that Hornandy Unique Case lube will work as well. Use the slightest film amount you can. If you can see it on your fingers,it's too much.
I "dab" the top of the lube, rub my finger/thumb together and then rub it on the cases. It works as well as Bordens Slide-All but really attacks chamber crud.
I found,the hard way, that shooting the brass dry stretches the fired brass and shortened the case life by 90%. The extraction force/case grip of the chamber is very high. This causes Incipient case head separation.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#8 Post by Calfed » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:35 pm
The 5TH round flier has always been a baffler. IMHO I think it has to do with the force or lack of the follower/ammo pushing on the bottom of the bolt carrier.
My rifle does the same thing as well.
I found that Hornandy Unique Case lube will work as well. Use the slightest film amount you can. If you can see it on your fingers,it's too much.
I "dab" the top of the lube, rub my finger/thumb together and then rub it on the cases. It works as well as Bordens Slide-All but really attacks chamber crud.
I found,the hard way, that shooting the brass dry stretches the fired brass and shortened the case life by 90%. The extraction force/case grip of the chamber is very high. This causes Incipient case head separation.
Thanks, Rob. I'll look into the Hornady Lube.

I did buy some DuPont "Non-Stick" dry film lubricant, but didn't use it this time.

The brass that I fire does have a very short life...and the case head, roughly 1/4" from the rim, is where it always fails. Sometimes after as few as 3 or 4 reloads.

ammolab
United States of America

#9 Post by ammolab » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:24 pm

Paste wax, auto or Simonize works to ease extraction. Powdered Wax was used by the Germans in WW2 to ease extraction.

Put wax on a sponge or rag and roll the cases across...let it dry, don’t wipe off. Works on Czech LPS in a Mosin too.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#10 Post by Calfed » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Thanks, Ammolab.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#11 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:33 am

Both are great ideas.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#12 Post by Calfed » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:44 am

Got out to Sac Valley Shooting Center this week and spent some time with some rifles, including my second Ljungman. Shot it at 200 yards, with the following results...

@200 yards, as usual, decent group and a flyer. Main group about 3" or 1.5 MOA, with the flyer, about 4.75" The sights were off, obviously. I was able to adjust them and got them pretty well centered.

@200 yds, the main group was 2.5", or about 1.25 MOA. With the flyer, about 5" or 2.5 MOA.

Return to “Ljungman Style Rifles”