Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Garand vs. M14

Smokey
United States of America

Garand vs. M14

#1 Post by Smokey » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:26 am

Been reading a paper on infantry weapon development, performance and recommendations which examined the Garand, M14 and AR15/M16 rifles.
Interesting that in the hands of trained infantry in all cases, the Garand outperformed the M14 for typical small-unit engagements.
While it has to be reloaded more often, a higher average rate of fire was maintained with the Garand (57 rnds/minute) than the M14 (40 rnds/minute).
Guess changing the box magazine on the M14 takes some extra time.
For all expected types of small unit engagements, the M16 was far superior.
It also examined why so few troops fired their rifles in WWII combat. With all the marksmanship training, troops didn't fire unless they actually saw someone to shoot at.
Makes sense since folks won't ordinarily expose themselves as a target. By the Korean war, training had troops shooting at an area where the enemy was located. A higher percentage of troops fired their rifles.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Garand vs. M14

#2 Post by RWS » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:01 am

Just curious, Smokey. Was the author of that paper a guy named Lee Emerson?

-Bob

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:48 pm

On rock & roll you can empty a mag asap, you most likely will not hit a thing, but it puts out some rounds. I had it in Boot, on the range and overseas. I like the M14. It is what I qualified expert on when I could still see.
Here is some other info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kouOZkgZliA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USCZsDxg6sA

Lee Ermey M-14 vs M-16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7i-svGLK8
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Hippycrowe
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by Hippycrowe » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:33 pm

I think the Garand is quicker to reload it does take time to take a mag out and stick a new one in.

It's too bad the M14 was used for the 1st time in a jungle war were the lighter 5.56 had an advantage at short range. Sometimes at close ranges they found the 30-06 and 7.62x51 would go right through a person and not do too much damage.
Didn't the Winchester mag fed garand shoot 960 rounds a minute.

JonnyDetroit
United States of America

#5 Post by JonnyDetroit » Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 am

Another variable here is barrel temp. Dumping 8 rounds out and reloading vs 20 to 30 rounds is going to broaden the grouping quite a bit.

ammolab
United States of America

#6 Post by ammolab » Tue May 21, 2019 10:52 am

“Average” rate of fire for an M1 Garand...57rds per minute??? Aimed fire? Even just shooting nothing.

I call major BS on that. You consider yourself an average Garand jockey?.Just try that some time. Load up a web belt or bandolier with clips and start shooting.

And if it nothing but a “mag dump” contest?....the M14 is full auto and can put out more than 40rds per minute “average”.

hardcore
United States of America

#7 Post by hardcore » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:34 am

to me....
there is no contest, own several of both (m1a no m14s)...
my vote goes to the m1a......
speed of reloading and round count....about the difference in both to me...but i dont know much

Hippycrowe
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#8 Post by Hippycrowe » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:12 pm

Having a Garand a M1a Ak Fn 49 and Ar15 I think the Garand is the fastest to reload and you can stash those clips every place.

It was a great system but now they have 50 round drums for the M1a and 100 round drums for the AR it's hard to see an advantage of an 8 round clip now.

INGarand
United States of America

#9 Post by INGarand » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:55 pm

The M-14 could also be loaded from stripper clips without removing the mag.

DarkLord
United States of America

#10 Post by DarkLord » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:03 pm

Well while the M14 had a good number of issues, reloading wasn't one of them. I can't imagine ANYONE being able to put more volume on target with a Garand than an M14. Personally, I would want to see more reports where that consistently happened before I gave any credence to it. Let's remember, the US military has a LONG history of rigging their tests to get the results they wanted.

Return to “M1 Garand”