Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

What machine guns did the Germans use during Operation Pastorius ?

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
Otselic2010
United States of America

What machine guns did the Germans use during Operation Pastorius ?

#1 Post by Otselic2010 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:17 pm

Anyone wanna guess ? I figure the German gun enthusiasts would know.
To those of you who don't know what Operation Pastorius was, It was a secret mission authorized by Adolph Hitler to land enemy agents on American shores to blow up defense plants, aluminum plants, bomb Jewish dept. stores etc. . 2 German U boats were sent to America to land spies on Long Island and in Florida in June 1942. The Florida landing went well , The landing at Amagansett Long Island was where all the action was. U202 landed at Amagansett beach on the morning of June 13 th and 2 armed German sailors rowed 4 spies onto the beach. The German Sailors were on the beach for a good 1/2 hour helping with the landing and helped move the crates of bombs up the beach to bury them in the sand. While the Sailors were turning the raft over to empty the water out a flashlight shined off in a distance and a Coast Guard sentry started walking towards the sailors and spies. One of the spies , George John Dasch, sees the Coastie approaching and quickly walked up to him to talk to him. The coastie asks what's going on ? The spy says they were a bunch of fishermen who ran aground while clamming. While they were talking the German sailors were crouching nearby behind a sand dune listening to the whole conversation. these sailors had direct orders from the U boat capt. to over power any person encountered on the beach and they'd take the person back to the U boat and feed them to the fish. The head spy, Dasch, convinced the Coastie they were ok and gave him a bribe to shut up. The coasties name was seamen 2nd class John Cullen and he was 21. The Coastie took the money and ran back to the Coast Guard station to report the suspicious encounter. He ran into the station and yelled there were Germans on the beach and to quickly get out a patrol. The Station commander got a group of Coasties and armed them with 30 caliber rifles and went on the beach to find the Germans. Thankfully there was heavy fog and nobody could see each other . The U Boat ran aground for 5 hours and had to wait for the tide to come in to free itself off the sand bar. All the while the crew had the Uboats machine guns pointed towards shore expecting the worst. Amazingly in the heavy fog , the U boat came ashore only 300 yards from the Amagansett Coast guard station and landed the spies. Without that fog there would have been a battle on that beach that night . the Uboat crew would've fought like crazy to get away. There were groups of Coasties walking around in the fog and yards away was the Uboat with machine guns pointed toward shore. The Coasties smelled diesel fumes and heard the engines revving to get the boat off the sand bar, but that fog protected them and the civilians in the Town of Amagansett. Amagansett had a lot of beach houses nearby. You can imagine all the destruction if the U boat opened fire towards land with their machine guns or fired the 88 mm deck gun.Long Island is flat as a pancake. 5 hours the U boat was stuck on a sand bar offshore and it was only 300 yards from the Coast Guard station! To complicate matters even more, there was a U boat crewman who had appendicitis and the u boat had no pain meds. The U boat capt. ordered the crewman to go ashore with a u boat officer and wait for light and surrender to the Americans to get treatment for the sick crewman. The U boat sailors got lost going back to the U boat and had to fire a red flare to alert the U boat they were lost. The U boat fired a green flare to show their position. Amazing with all this commotion , Armed Coasties walking the beach, sick u boat crew on the beach and they didn't run into each other and start a fight. The heavy fog prevented a WW 2 battle on that beach that night.The official Coast guard report said the landing took place 300 yards from the Amagansett Station. I find that hard to believe. Fog plays tricks on your mind and a nervous 21 year old NYC boy ( Cullen ) probably got confused. the landing probably happened a mile away. The spies quietly slipped off the beach and made their way to the Amagansett railroad station and took the Long Island railroad to NYC to settle in. A week later the head spy, George Dasch, went to Washington DC to surrender to the FBI and speak to J Edgar Hoover. Never spoke to the director and he did surrender. Dasch stayed at the Mayflower Hotel in Wash. DC. and checked into room 351. Room 351 is a tourist attraction , the hotel has Dasch's mug shot on the front of the rooms door. Cost $500 a night. US Naval intelligence intercepted a message that was sent by U202's Enigma machine at 8:53 NY time and the U boat was 28 miles south of Amagansett . That's about right. The landing took place between 11:30 pm and Midnight . The U boat speed on the surface to Amagansett was probably 10 or 12 knots. Very fast in fog.
I live very close to Amagansett and think about this landing a lot. I often go to Amagansett beach and visit the actual Coast Guard building that existed in 1942.I often wondered what machine guns they used and what the Coasties were armed with . I've read so many books on the subject and seen many exhibits I consider myself an expert on the subject. Nice trip if you ever visit Long Island.

vandle
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
Australia

Re: What machine guns did the Germans use during Operation Pastorius ?

#2 Post by vandle » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:49 am

Thanks for posting this part of history.
I have never heard of this incident of WW2 history.

Reminded me of the midget submarine attacks in Sydney Harbour.
Two destroyed and one managed to get away.
Only found recently buried in the Sand up in a river mouth up the coast of Nsw.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs192.aspx
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

Otselic2010
United States of America

#3 Post by Otselic2010 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:27 pm

Thanks Vandle,
Many people in NY don't know that history.
that was a very interesting story about the Midget subs going into Sydney Harbor. that was shortly after the battle of the Coral Sea and before Midway .It's possible they were looking for American aircraft carriers to damage . It's weird knowing the enemy came so close to your home.Americans were spared for the most part all the horrors of WW2. Australians were right on the front line and almost got invaded . Did Japanese aircraft bomb Australian cities during the war ? Midget submarines went into Pearl Harbor right before the attack on Dec. 7th. . The US Navy sank one the morning of Dec 7th and the sub was recently discovered outside the harbor.
NY harbor had a submarine net just like Sydney harbor had. German U boat 123 sailed right up to the entrance of NY harbor and saw Ferris wheels on shore. A German U boat laid a minefield right outside NY harbor one time.
A Japanese sub sailed right up to the California coast in 1942 and shot 18 shells into an oil drilling field. Another Japanese sub came up to the Oregon coastline and fired 20 shells into a US military fort.

vandle
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
Australia

#4 Post by vandle » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:50 pm

Darwin which is in the north of Australia was bombed several times during the war. Was a main naval base during the period.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs195.aspx

Other bombing attacks were spread across the top end from Broome in Western Australia to Townsville in Queensland.
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

Otselic2010
United States of America

#5 Post by Otselic2010 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks for the nice article.

echo1
United States of America

#6 Post by echo1 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:52 am

Thanks, good stuff. I heard about the incident, but not the specifics. PAX

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#7 Post by indy1919a4 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:24 pm

Real nice read guys. Nice details on the German spy landings in New York, Never could understand why they tried to bribe the Coast Guardsman vs removing him. But Dash was looking to defect. So I am sure he did not want a killing to mare his hopes, Per Australia You do hear alot of the Ill Fated Japanese plans to "invade" or Isolate Australia from the war.. But you do not hear alot about the attacks on the mainland.

And german bombardments and sinkings off the US East Coast are not a WW II thing.. It all happen 20 years earlier in the Great War..

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180955191/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180969691/

Otselic2010
United States of America

#8 Post by Otselic2010 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:23 pm

indy1919a4 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:24 pm
Real nice read guys. Nice details on the German spy landings in New York, Never could understand why they tried to bribe the Coast Guardsman vs removing him. But Dash was looking to defect. So I am sure he did not want a killing to mare his hopes, Per Australia You do hear alot of the Ill Fated Japanese plans to "invade" or Isolate Australia from the war.. But you do not hear alot about the attacks on the mainland.

And german bombardments and sinkings off the US East Coast are not a WW II thing.. It all happen 20 years earlier in the Great War..

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180955191/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180969691/
That Smithsonian download was good, especially the second one. That USS San Diego warship mentioned in the article was 510 feet long and was part of the great white fleet . It hit a German mine 11 miles off Fire Island Long Island and sank in 120 feet of water. The crew of the ship rowed to Long Island. It was the only major warship that the US Navy lost in WW 1. it's a very popular wreck for scuba divers. There was Black Sunday in 1918 between New York and New Jersey, A U boat sank 10 ships ( mostly sailing ships ) with a deck gun. There was no air threat back then. they were more civilized in WW 1 when they sank ships , the U boat would fire a shot across the bow and stop the ship and order the crew in lifeboats and sink the ship with the deck gun. Bigger ships they sometimes didn't give a warning and was unrestricted. Germany in WW1 and WW2 sank a lot of ships here and they attract a lot of fish for recreational fishermen to catch. 3 U boats were sunk around Long Island during the war.
That Cape Cod bombing actually happened . U boats had no fear coming close to shore because aircraft weren't really a threat.

Why they never made a movie about the U boat war off the East Coast of the US and the Amagansett landing I'll never know. What a movie that would be. 600 ships were sunk on the East Coast and 10,000 people died. Much more devastating than Pearl Harbor.

Never could understand why they bribed him and didn't remove him ? George Dasch the spy had an American born wife. He called her Snooks. When Dasch was younger he entered a seminary to study to be a Priest. Dasch was religious and didn't wanna kill the young Coast Guard sailor. The German Sailors questioned why Dasch let the Coast guardsmen go and he told them everything would be fine. The Sailors accepted the explanation and just wanted to get back to the u boat as fast as they could. The Capt. of the U boat was furious what Dasch did. The other spies were furious that Dasch let the Coast Guardsmen go and threatened to kill him on the beach.

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#9 Post by indy1919a4 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Otselic2010 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:23 pm

Why they never made a movie about the U boat war off the East Coast of the US and the Amagansett landing I'll never know. What a movie that would be. 600 ships were sunk on the East Coast and 10,000 people died. Much more devastating than Pearl Harbor.
Knowing hollywood, they would have butchered it like the way they treated the Japanese sub attack on the West Coast calling it 1941..
Attachments
10369.jpg

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#10 Post by indy1919a4 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:54 pm

Not really Submarine attacks, but came across this looking for other things. Just kind of sobering how much is still out there.. And these guys have more guts moving this stuff around.. I would be blowing it where it set..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXAtWAQAVlU

Return to “German Rifles”