Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Electrolysis tank repost

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Electrolysis tank repost

#1 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:09 pm

This is Gunfreak's 21 Sept 2008 Electrolysis Tank repost. This is a direct copy & paste except I added the photos by the forum method so they stay in place. This was one of the old great stickies. Here is the original Wayback link, but most of the pictures are gone. However 12 pages of comments remain. :dance: See https://web.archive.org/web/20170319052 ... e5beecf8b8

21 Sept 2008 Gunfreak

How to make and use an electrolysis tank *PICS*

I get many requests on how to use and make an electrolysis tank. So here's how.

You will need

-Wall charger (cell phone charger works great)
-Tub large enough to submerge your part being worked on (or half submerged)
-Copper wire
-Baking soda
-Steel rebar or plain steel rods, a couple of them atleast 4 or 5 inches in length will do

Instructions.

First take your wall charger, and cut the end off the wire, then strip an inch or two of the insulation off. Most of the time but not always, the positive wire has a white strip on it, or a red strip, something to signify it's positive. The negative is usually the single colored wire.

Next take your tank and begin to fill it up with water, enough to completely (or half) submerge the part being derusted. Approximate how many gallons your filling to the tank with, and add 1 tablespoon of baking soda per gallon of water. The baking soda helps give the current something to move on.

Image 689
34ys689.jpg
Next, lay down your steel bars or rods on the bottom of the tank. Keep them about 4 or 5 inches away from the part being derusted. Make sure all your rods are connected with one another using the copper wire, drape the extra wire off the side of the tank like so..

Image 8t1
2rdg8t1.jpg
Then, take the part that is going to be derusted and put it in the tank, make sure it makes no contact with the steel rods and the wire they're attatched too. Here is my rusted Gew 88 barrel jacket.

Imageg80
ajtg80.jpg
Then take some more copper wire and attatch this to the part being worked on, drape the extra wire over the tank like so..

Image xih
i3yxih.jpg
Now take the wires of the wall charger (unplugged of course) and attatch the positive to the wire leading to the steel bars, and attatch the negative to the wire attatched to the part being worked on. Just make sure they do not touch or you will short out your charger.

It should look like this when properly setup..

Image sea
v42qea.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Electrolysis tank repost

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:15 pm

So just plug it in and let the electricity do the work for you. After 5 minutes here's what my tank looked like. You know it's working when you see the bubbles coming off the wires.
When the bubbles hit the surface, they are full of hydrogen gas. Not enough to start an explosion, since this is being done on a very small scale.

Image 2ye
2qkt2ye-1.jpg

After 2 1/2 hours my part was done. I unplugged the charger, and removed the barrel jacket from the tank. I immediently take this part to a running source of clean water such as the bathtub or the hose, and I use 0000 steel wool to wash off the black grime that comes off the cleaned metal. If done right the rust will be all gone, leaving behind your blued finish (if left in long enough it will eventually remove bluing).

The amazing part is before putting my barrel jacket into the tank, I didn't do a single thing to it. It was covered in hard thick cosmo, grease and dirt. The electrolysis removed all of the cosmo which floated to the surface. So Electrolysis DOES remove cosmoline, how I don't know. But it does. :D

Here's the jacket and receiver after electrolysis

Image 087
33n8087.jpg

Last edited by Gunfreak25 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Electrolysis tank repost

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:42 pm

Return to “Metal Care and Cleaning”