Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Stopping Power - Good Overview Video

steamer
United States of America

Stopping Power - Good Overview Video

#1 Post by steamer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:22 am

Just came across this today - thought it was pretty good and worth sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc

TNGhost
United States of America

Re: Stopping Power - Good Overview Video

#2 Post by TNGhost » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Interesting, in that it somewhat reflects Marshall and Sanow, but there is also a lot of "what if" extrapolation in their theories.

I am not so sure on it dismissing the ,22 and the .32 ACP so easily. One major reason is, that likely as not, those calibers are being used by individuals not as well trained in the use of a handgun, as one could surmise that a trained person would be carrying a heavier caliber. That would easily account for their higher "failure to stop" rate. (you can also detect some amount of prejudice in the fact they call them "mouse calibers").

You can take any set of data and manipulate it to say what you want it to or believe it should say, and I think the producers of this video did at least some of that, lots of "ifs". Personally I feel completely adequately armed with a .32 ACP. YMMV ;)

Any of these stopping power theories based on actual shootings, that don't take the training and skill level of the shooter into account are dubious.

steamer
United States of America

#3 Post by steamer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:01 am

I hear what you're saying - they did show some definite bias towards the smaller calibers. Also, I'm right with you on the .32 - my Tomcat and I go virtually everywhere together.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#4 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:18 pm

I think the type of ammo has a larger impact in most of these situations. JHP does worlds more damage than FMJ. I would surmise that 32acp with JHP ammo is comparable to 45acp with FMJ ammo at close range. If the US Army thought that 45acp was far better than 38spl in stopping hopped up attackers in the Philippines, that's the gospel to me and nothing more is needed to add to the argument. Don't most the magnum rounds just pass through their targets as well due to their added velocity?

I'd just read more military history and skip the youtube videos. I don't know if people read history anymore though.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, its hard to test what adrenaline does to ones aim in an emergency situation even with training. Pure guts likely is a better indicator, but you don't find what you are made of till it happens. Best to avoid situations like this if at all possible. If you miss with a high powered round in a densely populated area, you are putting other people at risk. Some drunk returned home and shot his wife and then shot himself afterwards. The bullets went through all sorts of walls and the roof. Food for thought.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:40 am

Shot placement is the key to any round fired. Hitting a nerve bundle or the brain, the attacker is going to slow down quickly.
The tried and true Double-Tap, center of mass and face,shot placement will stop most assailants, no matter what caliber it is.
Today's ammo is nothing like what it was just a couple of decades ago. The bullets expand quicker and may not clog as the earlier HP's did as they passed through clothing. Tissue damage is more severe causing more trauma to the attacker.
The so called "Mouse Guns' today are as lethal as their big brothers in many cases.
At the turn of the last century the most popular caliber in the world for personal defense was the .25 ACP and that only had a FMJ bullet. All military's then issued .32 ACP pistols. Some even in .25 ACP.
Today's .32 ACP and .380 ACP ammunition is far better than in the past. And if you hand load, you really can bring out the cartridges maximum potential.
I've been carrying a pistol for 45 years now. Over the years I've tried most of the popular calibers and so called " stopping power" loads/calibers. While all will get the job done well, the ease of carry is a factor as well.
My car gun is a Makarov converted to .32 NAA a nasty little bottleneck cartridge that has some impressive ballistic when hand loaded for the Makarov pistol. My everyday carry is a KelTec P3AT in .380. With today's ammo and powders the cartridge is darn close to 9mm Luger.
In the 50's one of the shooting magazines wrote an article on the "worst cartridge to be shot by". and as you can guess it was the .22LR lead bullet. It was found that the bullet traveled through the body at an irregular path doing all sorts of damage, and the waxy bullet lube was so full of Bacteria and other microbes that if the attacker did not bleed out from the wound, they were going to get very sick from infection and seek medical attention/arrested for a gun shot wound.
What ever you carry. Become very proficient shooting it. The caliber won't matter much if you can't shoot the pistol accurately.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Smokey
United States of America

#6 Post by Smokey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Supposedly the .38 Webley revolvers were good manstoppers. They used the 38 S&W with a 200gr bullet, at around 600 fps.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

TNGhost
United States of America

#7 Post by TNGhost » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:44 pm

The .36 cap and ball revolvers sport about the same ballistics (80 grain projectile at 800-900 fps)as the .32 ACP, and they were once favored by many serious individuals for combat and self defense, and rightfully so.

Among others, Bill Hickok put quite a number of men in the ground with one, most with a single shot, men who were poised and ready to fire at him as well.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”