Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Bluing video

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Bluing video

#1 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:19 am

Some just got to go nuts on a surplus rifle, a super clean up that might go too far. This is an interesting project for a re enactor special. Clean the metal and the stock. An interesting perspective- sort of an in home arsenal repair. Worth a watch, rusted dirty metal and cracked stock.

No, not this song, the next steam. :lol: :roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaG2Acg8n60

Anvil 013: Blue on Black, Steam on a Receiver- RUST BLUE: American, British, Frontier, French, Swedish, Swiss, German solutions. 30 bucks + 13 for shipping :doh: :shhh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHyoUF50rF0

Rust Blue bottle. http://www.rustblue.com/shop/bluing/rust-blue-american/
One concern. There is a high initial cost factor for the set up. Too much for just one rifle in my mind. One needs to buy the Rust Blue. Best to have an assortment of solutions to keep postage down lets say $150. Plastic pipe parts $40, heater and vaporizer, used, say another $40, used car oil from a new car cheep,why from a new car-- so its clean, but still broken down. Wire soft wheel $25. A used grinder motor, say another $25. Steel wool and a gallon tin of acetone for a wash $20. Then 2 or 3 gallons of Kerosene say $15. Then find an old, free, refrigerator box or buy a $10 shipping box. So to get set up lets figure around $325 give or take depending on what you got around the house and do not have to buy. And you can cut the cost if you buy one bottle of solution instead of a variety at just $44. :doh: SO THIS IS INTERESTING :arrow: A how to do a clean up on the metal. And if you repair the stock figure another $150 in wood working goodies....
See more posts on bluing under "general gunsmithing"
See more wood repairs under "stock care & replacement"
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

bobvz
United States of America

Re: Bluing video

#2 Post by bobvz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Startup costs are actually pretty cheap considering the equipment can be used for multiple firearms. I built my first rig for under $50. That included the pipe, pot, hardware, box, etc. You can use wet towels for moisture if you let it rust overnight. Vaporizers are $15 at my local pharmacy. You could probably buy one for $1 at a yard sale. Heat can be provided by gas grill, turkey fryer burner, hotplate, steamers. Tap water is virtually free. you don't need gallons of solvents. Just a couple of quart cans. They run around $7.00 or so each. Steel wool is fine for carding. Don't need a power wheel. Way under $100 investment. A smart shopper can do a lot better. Way cheaper than getting into hot blueing for a grand or paying $400 to have one gun rust blued.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:24 am

I will add two more videos worth a watch. Thanks to Bob for his time & knowledge. First part 1 then part 2. All three videos are a great knowledge base for the forum.
Anvil 035: To Blue or not to Blue? Part 1 pistol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQFxUNQOYKo

Anvil 036: To Blue or not to Blue? Part 2 Yugo mauser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrAJr8o3fDU
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:41 am

Startup costs are actually pretty cheap considering the equipment can be used for multiple firearms. I built my first rig for under $50.
I agree, lots of the set up can be used stuff. Do you recommend a second tube for soaking filled with Kerosene. It sounds like that is better for long term wear & durability. Is that a 6 or 4 inch diameter tube? How much Kerosene is required to fill the tube you show in the video?

Bob, here are some questions. Are the different solutions for each rifle that different, say between the enfield and german blue? I assume it is best to have the correct solution? Does it really make a difference? How close is the finished surface between a worn down to metal area in contrast to an intact original blued area after the procedure is completed. Can one see the difference between finished surfaces or do they actually blend in so good it is difficult to tell with this procedure? Assuming the correct Rust Blue solution is used on the firearm.

It would be neat to have photos of a bare spot and an original blued spot that remains intact prior to the procedure, then show photos off the same spots after the procedure is completed in order to demonstrate how good the finished rust blue blend is between the two different surfaces if they are adjacent to each other. :pray: :pray: :think:

Return to “Metal Care and Cleaning”