Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

9mm steyr brass

lamontagne0527
Canada

9mm steyr brass

#1 Post by lamontagne0527 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:00 pm

would it be smart or possible to convert .223 remington brass casings to 9mm steyr by cutting them down to 23mm's and possibly reaming out the brass to open up the inside diameter?

Is this a bad idea? Should i just purchase the 9mm steyr brass if i can find it?

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: 9mm steyr brass

#2 Post by RWS » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:08 am

Starline makes 9mm Steyr brass. Graf's has it for $21 per hundred. I can pretty much guarantee you that it will be cheaper than converting free .223 range pickups unless you place zero value on your labor. This is especially true if you have to buy a reamer. Also, .223 brass has a rim diameter that is almost identical to .380 ACP, which is a bit smaller than 9mm Steyr so extraction might or might not be iffy.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/ca ... goryId/508?

If you have a free or cheaper source for them then 9mm Largo cases (which are tapered) can be fire-formed to work in 9mm Steyr pistols. Since new 9mm Largo brass cases are only a penny per case less than 9mm Steyr cases I see no reason not to use true 9mm Steyr cases since they are available, at least IMHO.

I load for 9mm Steyr using Hornady 9mm Steyr cases that used to be the only game in town. All you need to make really good ammo is a .38 Super die set and a 9mm Luger shell holder. 9mm Steyr is a straight-walled case that has a case diameter within a couple thousandths of .38 Super (which is also straight-walled).

After load experimentation I settled on 5.0 grains of WW231 powder behind a 115 grain 9mm FMJ bullet. Very accurate and reliable in my Steyr-Hahn pistols. Unlike most European 9mm's that use a 124 grain bullet, original 9mm Steyr ammo used a 115 grain bullet.

Hope this helps.

-Bob

lamontagne0527
Canada

#3 Post by lamontagne0527 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:24 pm

RWS wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:08 am
Starline makes 9mm Steyr brass. Graf's has it for $21 per hundred. I can pretty much guarantee you that it will be cheaper than converting free .223 range pickups unless you place zero value on your labor. This is especially true if you have to buy a reamer. Also, .223 brass has a rim diameter that is almost identical to .380 ACP, which is a bit smaller than 9mm Steyr so extraction might or might not be iffy.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/ca ... goryId/508?

If you have a free or cheaper source for them then 9mm Largo cases (which are tapered) can be fire-formed to work in 9mm Steyr pistols. Since new 9mm Largo brass cases are only a penny per case less than 9mm Steyr cases I see no reason not to use true 9mm Steyr cases since they are available, at least IMHO.

I load for 9mm Steyr using Hornady 9mm Steyr cases that used to be the only game in town. All you need to make really good ammo is a .38 Super die set and a 9mm Luger shell holder. 9mm Steyr is a straight-walled case that has a case diameter within a couple thousandths of .38 Super (which is also straight-walled).

After load experimentation I settled on 5.0 grains of WW231 powder behind a 115 grain 9mm FMJ bullet. Very accurate and reliable in my Steyr-Hahn pistols. Unlike most European 9mm's that use a 124 grain bullet, original 9mm Steyr ammo used a 115 grain bullet.

Hope this helps.

-Bob
Awesome, thanks Bob. i threw together 8 casings from .223 just to test it but will have to report at a later date. Are the .38 super dies necessary or can a 9mm die or 357 die work sufficiently? I'm trying to be frugal and i already own those dies.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by RWS » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Well, 9mm or .357 sizer dies will work, but will undersize the case diameter. 9mm Steyr and .38 Super case diameters are both .384" while .357 Mag is .376" in diameter. So... you would be overworking the brass upon resizing. It will work but case life will be reduced because of the undersizing a .357 Mag die will do.

9mm is a tapered case. At the mouth (19mm from the rim) the case diameter is .380, but because of the sizing dies' taper the case diameter will be less than that 5mm further out to the mouth on the Steyr case. Probably close to .376" like the .357 Mag.

Seating and crimping will have to be luck in a craps shoot. The .357 seater is too long and the 9mm seater is too short. One or the other may work though. I just don't know for sure

If you're that cash strapped, then of the two I would choose to use the .357 Mag sizing die simply because it is straight-walled like the 9mm Steyr case.

Just FYI, a set of Lee .38 Super dies is $31 from Graf's. Buying a die set when you get the cases will be the cheapest route as Graf's doesn't charge shipping, just a $8 handling charge per order. Not super expensive but that's your call

- Bob

lamontagne0527
Canada

#5 Post by lamontagne0527 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Unfortunately up here in canada does and brass can be a bit harder to come by. I will have to shop around for the dies and see what I can do but the brass at the moment is sitting around 40 for 100 without shipping or taxes. So figure about 60+ for the brass

Return to “Reloading”