Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

M39 Feed issues

1891, 91/30, M38, M44, 91/59, P-series, M27, M28, M28-30 and M39
Smitty22gunr
United States of America

M39 Feed issues

#1 Post by Smitty22gunr » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:14 am

Hi all,

I had a feed problem with my Sako M39 the other day at the range. After 20 minutes of shooting (first time shooting the rifle) the last few rounds in the mag would have a tendency to nose down as the bolt worked forward. The result was failure to feed, as the tip of the round hit just below the throat of the barrel, failing to properly seat. Anyone else ever have that problem? Thanks in advance!

Smitty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Smitty22gunr on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger Dunn
United States of America

Re: M39 Feed issues

#2 Post by Roger Dunn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:58 pm

Sounds Like there was something in the mag. Did you try cleaning it?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:44 pm

A rim-lock will cause this as well. Always make sure the top round rim is in front of the round under it and so forth for the rest of the rounds.
A trick is to always cycle the bolt SMARTLY, never slowly and deliberate. The action has an interrupter at the left rear of the receiver. If the bolt is cycled smartly, this device will force a rim-lock to clear before it happens.
Rim-lock is the arch nemesis of all Mosin rifle firing a rimmed cartridge. With proper loading of the clip or hand loading the magazine and working the bolt smartly ( fast with force) you will never have this problem again.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ammolab
United States of America

#4 Post by ammolab » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:47 am

You might remove the action from the stock and be sure the interrupter is not loose. I think a loose screw once gave me issues as you describe.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:44 pm

A rim-lock will cause this as well. Always make sure the top round rim is in front of the round under it and so forth for the rest of the rounds.
A trick is to always cycle the bolt SMARTLY, never slowly and deliberate. The action has an interrupter at the left rear of the receiver. If the bolt is cycled smartly, this device will force a rim-lock to clear before it happens.
Rim-lock is the arch nemesis of all Mosin rifle firing a rimmed cartridge. With proper loading of the clip or hand loading the magazine and working the bolt smartly ( fast with force) you will never have this problem again.

Caution loading clips- use only original clips & learn to load the rifle by hand. I never us clips.
Second know the rim lock maneuver and be sure the interrupter is not gummed up with cosmo and it pushes in and out with good spring tension. Was that part cleaner and the spring good? Always check the interuptor function on all Mosins.

An interesting and very simple video on the rim lock maneuver to stop and shoot. Worth a look if new to eosins. But if you practice use training rounds not live rounds unless you are at a range with the rifle pointed down range. It is always a must to have some dummy/ practice rounds to work the actions off range. So here we go..... :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhwe0rm6des

Rim lock ? Interrupter function video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bmLGuw_bqY
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:41 am

Also I figure the rifle was cleaned by removing the action from the wood. It was already checked for hard cosmo????? If not, the inside of the magazine corners can be a cosmo pit and hinder the spring action of the follower carrier assy. Did you remove the follower carrier assy and really clean it and the magazine holder corners? Also check the side of the receiver where the interrupter and ejector is for hard cosmo. The inside of the bolt and inside chamber where the lugs are should also have been really cleaned of hard cosmo that might not be all removed with a normal cleaning. This really rock hard Cosmo gets soft when the rifle gets hot and can gum things up.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Russian and Finnish Rifles”