Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Rust in Mosin 91/30 chamber

1891, 91/30, M38, M44, 91/59, P-series, M27, M28, M28-30 and M39
DurzoBlint
United States of America

Rust in Mosin 91/30 chamber

#1 Post by DurzoBlint » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:44 am

I have rust inside my rifle chamber and I am wondering what the fastest/best way to remove it. I've heard steel wool, but I don't want to mess up the blueing.

M67
Slovenia

Re: Rust in Mosin 91/30 chamber

#2 Post by M67 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 am

Polishing paste for valves on the motor head however very, very careful. More simple is removing with steel wool.
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:32 pm

Cleaning rod in a drill motor with 0000-steel wool and light oil works very well. Keep rod moving back/forth.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

shoot4fun
United States of America

#4 Post by shoot4fun » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 pm

How badly is it rusted?
light/moderate rust? just soak it with oil and some brushing with something in the .45cal range should take care of most of the problems.
severe, pitting and flaking metal - just how bad is it (and the rest of the gun for that matter)?

DurzoBlint
United States of America

#5 Post by DurzoBlint » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:27 pm

The rust seems to be a light-medium coating. the barrel is in great condition and it shot well (i shot it before noticing the rust). I've been having a hard time working the bolt and I'm think the rust has something to do with it (bolt is easy to open, hard to close. I disassembled it and cleaned it already). The stock is in great condition, no cracks, a few scratches that aren't very noticeable. I did buy it from Cabela's.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Are you sure it is rust and not baked on Cosmoline which is very common?
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

DurzoBlint
United States of America

#7 Post by DurzoBlint » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 pm
Are you sure it is rust and not baked on Cosmoline which is very common?
Yes, it was reddish in color and looked like normal rust. So far the only cosmoline I have found was on the firing pin rod. Some small amounts have leaked out of the rifle and I rubbed the rifle in mineral spirits to get rid of any cosmoline

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:42 am

The new batch of Mosins at Cabelas was a nightmare see http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... =19&t=2608. If you have one of these the chamber should be mirror bright. What I saw was dark chambers and rusted bolts. Basic garbage. So if the import mark is the same, then do some clean up and fine tuning. There is also a sticky bolt/hard to open due to cosmo and a lack of polish to tune the bolt. Back in 2004 the was a old sticky where a brass fired cartridge from the same rifle is screwed onto a round stick through the primer hole and very fine valve grinding compound is used around the cartridge. It is spun on a slow variable speed drill to lap out and polish the chamber. Also the are many old posts as a search to polish and correct the sticky bolt and fine tune the barrel to wood fit on a Mosin. See this old post:http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=13776.0

Some use the fired brass case and lapping compound, others use a proper fitting dowel with emery paper glued around, some a steel brush with lapping compound. Polish out the chamber, then polish the bolt contact points.
Check out the chamber, is it mirror bright? Check the bolt for polish& fine tune, check the barrel to wood space& contacts. Do some research on fine tuning a Mosin.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#9 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:51 am

To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

DurzoBlint
United States of America

#10 Post by DurzoBlint » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:04 am

Thank you for the information. I also double checked my chamber and it looks more like cosmo than rust.

Return to “Russian and Finnish Rifles”