Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

G43 sporter stock without recoil lug hole??

KneverKnew
United States of America

G43 sporter stock without recoil lug hole??

#1 Post by KneverKnew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Does a G43 stock absolutely need the middle recoil cross bolt?
I recently picked up this sporterized stock for my non-matching G43 shooter. It's actually very nice looking and well done stock that has what looks like an Enfield buttplate. The only concern is that it is missing the middle recoil lug. There is no hole drilled. The original owner brought his rifle back and was shooting it in this stock using original German surplus ammo. My question is should I drill the hole and instal the recoil lug, or will the two receiver/trigger guard screws suffice? I'm shooting mostly reloads, 150 grain Hornady bullets doing 2500-2600 fps, or PRVI 198's doing around 2300-2400 fps. So I'm not really getting up to the pressures of the original military stuff.

Smokey
United States of America

Re: G43 sporter stock without recoil lug hole??

#2 Post by Smokey » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:32 am

A large part of recoil is the rocket engine effect from the high pressure gas (6,000 to 15,000 psi) exiting the muzzle after the bullet leaves.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

KneverKnew
United States of America

Re: G43 sporter stock without recoil lug hole??

#3 Post by KneverKnew » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 am

So Smokey,
Is that your vote for drilling and installing the recoil cross bolt? I’m tempted to try it without at just $31 for this stock. Is there any foreseeable way the rifle could be damaged in doing so? Or just running the possibility that the stock cracks?

Return to “Military Semi-Automatic Rifles General Topics”