SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER1

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

TURKEY TRIVIAL TRIVIA -- I am wondering if there may be someone out there that had been looking forward to a wild turkey Thanksgiving dinner who had already done this. I guess there may be a place to do this such as with a black powder firearm using black powder and cast bullet or shot that they have made themselves and show some True Grit. But how in the heck does one tenderize a wild turkey. We did that once and all that I can say we did it...once. I even tried making Turkey Jerky, but that didn’t turn out too well...it was just not flavored enough, for me, but I couldn’t blame the turkey on that. I may try that again and really get the marinate soaked in for a couple or three days.
We have, or more like had, Blue Grouse around here but the coyotes within five years here seemed to have cleared them out - now there was some good eating. I assume that there maybe pockets of them somewhere but just haven’t bothered to look around and find any. Too many guns, too much to do, too much to learn, with so little time.
Well heck, here is a bunch of recipes to try, but I do notice no mention of the commercial meat tenderizers which I find do work for me. I have the meat sized hypodermic injection needle so......I will try something like these with a whole lot of small but deep injections of the ‘stuff’ and use butter for the liquid and marinate for at least two days after cutting into pieces. We just got a new Air Fryer oven to try and now I can use the old toaster type in the garage for my other things.

Oh how I hate to use the word, 'got'.

OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

TRIVIA – This is a point of accuracy and not collecting. And that is case neck and bullet tension. We know that each round of regular and military ammunition has particular attention paid to this at the time of manufacturing. But as we also know that when it comes to reloading that this case neck and bullet tension is most often overlooked except for the serious reloader because it is unseen and a lot of of extra bother and trouble to anneal the case necks and some will say that they anneal every so many reloads. I noticed years ago that after each resizing of a case the neck becomes a little harder. This tells me that this will result in no uniform case neck bullet tension and not a ‘good step’ in reloading for accuracy. But, everything in life is a compromise and...this is one step that I think is easily compromised. Just do the best one can without this annealing. And one will end up shooting a group of “Flyers.”

Here is one way I tried to approach this one time. I had a chance to buy a bunch of what I thought was ‘once-fired’ military 30.06 brass for a penny apiece. It was like 5000. My idea was at least I would just use these as,”Reloaded Once.” And settle for what I may get, and work-up a good load for each of a varmint load, a target load and a big game load for my one 30.06 rifle. And I did, and I still have most of them and the rifle...but, I never properly identified them so I now have a bunch of unknown ammo that I haven’t gotten around to breaking down.

I was never into competitive rifle shooting so have messed with case annealing only once-just to try.

Why does some horse saddling use a breast collar and some do not?

OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG (359.62 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
TRIVIA ----

Give a bunch of welding rod and access to a junk yard to the right person and they could come with a snazzy snow machine like this one. My first car was a 34 Ford Coupe that I paid 24 $ for.

The rubber belts are readily available.

OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Scan-002.BMP.jpg
Scan-002.BMP.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
SOME DOGGY TRIVIA ON XMAS, OKAY --

This is our dog Myla... 14 years old and the most gentle and nice as can be. The deer are her friends and my wife can not get her to chase the deer out of her flowers and apple trees, She just barks at the elk and lets them know to move on, she doesn’t chase them, but hates the bear with a passion. She can smell a bear when she is in the house if it gets within 100 yards.. and creates all kinds of noise. Luckily she knows not to leave our property without one of us because she looks too much like a wolf and some people will just shoot a wolf because they are just mean and not nice...both the wolves and some people. The wolves will just kill the sheep and let them lie just to be mean.

A story from our local Newspaper...A fellow tried to get the State Game people to reimburse him for some of his sheep that were killed by a wolf or wolves. They said no because there are groups of wild dogs around that may have done it. So he shot a wolf that he caught at his sheep. The State people said yep, that’s a wolf and that will be a $10,000 fine.

It is a bad photo because very rarely will she perk up her ears like a wolf and I just took it quickly. And sometimes she will just perk up one ear.

The deer will come up to Myla within ten or so feet as she is just lieing there and communicate some how. It must be some kind of mental telepathy. And oh yes, the deer will communicate with each other this way or with a language outside of our normal hearing range.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=animal%20 ... 8148DFA715

There is a local lady that raises and sells Wolf and Dog mixes, for 4 and 5 hundred and they are not one bit nice.

Myla is super nice but I still can’t teach her to smile for a picture.

Her and I wish everyone a Merry Xmas.
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG (567.72 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
Last edited by OLDGUNNER1 on Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mashuga

Post by Mashuga »

What a nice looking girl you have there. I'm sure she likes having you as her human. Thanks for your posts; I look forward to reading them. Not much like Christmas here as it's currently 46 and supposed to be pushing 60 today. Merry Christmas to you and yours and a healthy 2020 to all.

OLDGUNNER1

Post by OLDGUNNER1 »

Well thank you for the kind words to a fellow Iowan and the same to you. We had a foot of snow today. And Myla had her share of the ham.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic

Post by 72 usmc »

And in Wi we had like 60 degrees, go figure. More snow on Halloween & Thanksgiving, then fall came back.... :doh:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”