Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#481 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:06 pm

TURKEY TRIVIAL TRIVIA -- I am wondering if there may be someone out there that had been looking forward to a wild turkey Thanksgiving dinner who had already done this. I guess there may be a place to do this such as with a black powder firearm using black powder and cast bullet or shot that they have made themselves and show some True Grit. But how in the heck does one tenderize a wild turkey. We did that once and all that I can say we did it...once. I even tried making Turkey Jerky, but that didn’t turn out too well...it was just not flavored enough, for me, but I couldn’t blame the turkey on that. I may try that again and really get the marinate soaked in for a couple or three days.
We have, or more like had, Blue Grouse around here but the coyotes within five years here seemed to have cleared them out - now there was some good eating. I assume that there maybe pockets of them somewhere but just haven’t bothered to look around and find any. Too many guns, too much to do, too much to learn, with so little time.
Well heck, here is a bunch of recipes to try, but I do notice no mention of the commercial meat tenderizers which I find do work for me. I have the meat sized hypodermic injection needle so......I will try something like these with a whole lot of small but deep injections of the ‘stuff’ and use butter for the liquid and marinate for at least two days after cutting into pieces. We just got a new Air Fryer oven to try and now I can use the old toaster type in the garage for my other things.

Oh how I hate to use the word, 'got'.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#482 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:56 pm

TRIVIA – This is a point of accuracy and not collecting. And that is case neck and bullet tension. We know that each round of regular and military ammunition has particular attention paid to this at the time of manufacturing. But as we also know that when it comes to reloading that this case neck and bullet tension is most often overlooked except for the serious reloader because it is unseen and a lot of of extra bother and trouble to anneal the case necks and some will say that they anneal every so many reloads. I noticed years ago that after each resizing of a case the neck becomes a little harder. This tells me that this will result in no uniform case neck bullet tension and not a ‘good step’ in reloading for accuracy. But, everything in life is a compromise and...this is one step that I think is easily compromised. Just do the best one can without this annealing. And one will end up shooting a group of “Flyers.”

Here is one way I tried to approach this one time. I had a chance to buy a bunch of what I thought was ‘once-fired’ military 30.06 brass for a penny apiece. It was like 5000. My idea was at least I would just use these as,”Reloaded Once.” And settle for what I may get, and work-up a good load for each of a varmint load, a target load and a big game load for my one 30.06 rifle. And I did, and I still have most of them and the rifle...but, I never properly identified them so I now have a bunch of unknown ammo that I haven’t gotten around to breaking down.

I was never into competitive rifle shooting so have messed with case annealing only once-just to try.

Why does some horse saddling use a breast collar and some do not?

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#483 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:56 am

DSC_0015.JPG
TRIVIA ----

Give a bunch of welding rod and access to a junk yard to the right person and they could come with a snazzy snow machine like this one. My first car was a 34 Ford Coupe that I paid 24 $ for.

The rubber belts are readily available.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”