Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#376 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:11 pm

DSC_0010.JPG
Only if one may be interested is some info on gold. I have panned for gold in Alaska, California, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado.

Notice the color of this sample compared to some of those pictured – very rich. I just weighed this sample of gold telluride and it measured 567.0 grains and if it is the typical 40 % gold, which equals 0.4717 troy ounces and after yesterday’s closing spot gold price at one place in New York of $1418.60, this sample is worth $669.15, not counting the little bit of silver in it, If I did my math correctly.

It looks like gold has gone up about 200 $ per ounce in the past week or so...A lot more than the stock market. It is the only piece that I have.

http://www.nevada-outback-gems.com/pros ... d_ores.htm

Oh golly, panning and metal detecting can be such a lot of fun but, there are so many nasty and garbage people out there that can make it unsafe when one is out in the middle of nowhere by themselves. I saw where one guy was doing okay by doing his own thing within the city of Denver. He had made his little wet Rocker and and would stand in a foot of water of the South Platte River running through Denver and all he had to do was take his Rocker and shovel in and out of his vehicle. He said that he was averaging a little over a half an ounce a day, but ???? But it is not the same as setting up camp with a sluice box in a creek and staying for a while. There are places that this can be done in little like communities but this is different than being just with a wife or friend. Alaska can be one of the more safer places because one can really get to places where they are alone.

Okay, here is some scoop on Rocker Boxes - they will work in the water or on dry land. They can be made as small and handle as one may desire. Look at all of the links at the end.

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/design_p ... er_box.htm
Last edited by OLDGUNNER1 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#377 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:15 am

There is something strange about lead wheel weights that I have never understood. First of all wheel weight manufacturers do not deal with reclaimed WW’s. They can not be bothered with using unknown lead for making a quality and uniform product. They just buy new metals of known consistencies. Therefore the tire guys have no use for their used WW’s. Now if their Boy Scout son bothers to take them to a savage dealer for the small amount that they may get, this may be something that they may do with them. But I think that in general a tire dealer is not going to bother with them. Now they may have already promised them all away...
But...BUT, I have never...never never, had a tire dealer not give me all that I wanted. I will ask them for these ‘after’ I buy a set of tires from him. 20 years ago I did just that and he had a pile in back and said just help your self. I shoveled them into my poor pick-up until the leaf springs were backwards. And then a couple of years ago I wanted some zinc just to make some other things. The guy showed me a two thousand pound pile, and again said help yourself. As I started to sort out some zinc I quickly found too few to bother with and gave up.

Now there may be states that will not allow this, but I will leave those to their states, sorry about that. As I say, as far as I am concerned, zinc will do just fine with me. I can deal with the little less in density.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#378 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:03 pm

Okay - Here is a shot of the spot that my wife and I stopped at in fall of 95 and she panned about a quarter of an once in a hour just before dark. We were the only ones there. She would just scoop out a pan full of soil out the bank and get gold in every, 'EVERY' pan. It is just down river from the Mason Reservoir Dam on the left in the picture out side of Baker Oregon. See that horse-shoe loop off the road in the center of the shot...that is where we parked. Now with the current Google Earth shot I can see over a half dozen RV's parked right at this area. I can understand this because the river bank is almost unlimited as well as the gold, for recreational purposes. At the time panning was the only thing allowed, but just because of the activity now I would love to go back. I'll try to add a more close-up shot. This was actually the best gold panning place that I have ever been.

Attachments
!cid_13D7C46C5AF94156A9A96ED55B6BE430@BobPC.png
!cid_13D7C46C5AF94156A9A96ED55B6BE430@BobPC.png (120.79 KiB) Viewed 159 times

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#379 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (320.86 KiB) Viewed 151 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.67276,- ... a=!3m1!1e3

Okay - See the vehicles parked along the river bank just to the left of the horse-shoe curve in the road. They are there just for the gold - there is more than enough to go around. We might just go there again this fall.

The land was just for recreational use only....I assume that it still would be, and panning only.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#380 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:52 pm

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (96.22 KiB) Viewed 150 times
This is some of the dirt work just at the north end of the Reservoir (Parker Lake), I did not see this when we were there so I will assume that it has been done since.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#381 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Capture.PNG
When we were here in summer of 95 there was no activity or dirt work done in this spot just north of Fairbanks – just an old dredge setting there, but it was known that bedrock was 25 feet down. I looked around with my metal detector – nothing.

Years ago the old timers had dug holes through the perma-frost and picked the nuggets off the bed-rock. Since then people have decided to really get to digging.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#382 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:12 pm

Just for what it’s worth – on zinc bullet casting...fast forward to 4:57.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=zi ... ORM=VDRVRV

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#383 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:50 pm

DSC_0001.JPG
AGAIN – JUST FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH----

But oh my gosh....The double action trigger pull on my S & W 1917 went from maybe 15 pounds to about 8. I can’t find my trigger scale, I am just guessing. What I did was clean and polish things, re lubricate and reduce the strength of the trigger return spring. It worked so well I will now take a coil off. I haven’t decided just how and where to attack the main spring. I realize of course that S & W wouldn’t recommend this. They sell new spring kits. They realize the problems...? and SELL new spring kits for what looks like all models. And a gunsmith will not do this to a customer’s gun...well usually. But as one realizes I like the DIY thing. I have two other S & W’s...guess what. It doesn’t just have to work with S & W’s....It should work for anything.

In 1957 at Century Arms, when they were on Sepulveda Blvd in LA, these 1917’s, Colts and S & W’s were 16.95...the Webbly .455’s were 14.95, Colt 1911’s were 19.95 and 24.95 and German Lugers 27.95 and 29.95.

Before my time but I was told that DCM .03’s and .30-40 Krags at one time were 2.95.

And, and it was very hard to find a reliable crystal ball.

Hey – About three days ago on FOX News it was mentioned about an active duty marine, gave his name, that was 92 years old. I have never heard of anything like this....could it be?

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#384 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 pm

If one doesn't trust themselves this should work.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Custom-Tun ... tinfo/321/

They are available for different frames.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#385 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 pm

I have never seen this mentioned before but just something to play with....take three coils off of a regular 1911 recoil spring and shoot reduced loads, 3 or 3 1/2 grains of Bullseye and light bullets and notice the shorter recovery time in rapid fire. I aways thought of porting the barrel and slide of one but never have gotten around to it. I aways thought that it would be cool to adjust things for zero barrel rise.

An M1 Carbine story - While I was in the Air Force we had M1's to play with....My best time for field stripping one and putting back together, blind folded, was three seconds over a minute, with front stock screw open. I assumed that it could be faster with more practice.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#386 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:13 pm

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#387 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:32 pm

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Yo ... &FORM=VIRE

This may help with one that has not done this before.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#388 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:10 pm

HIT N’ MISS----

I have been messing with my S & W Springs the last couple of days. I have always been frustrated with the hard trigger pulls but have never really looked into it. I now seeeee the light – simple. Just like, “It is simple once one knows how.” I was watching Jerry Miculek’s ‘S & W Spring (Trigger Job)’. He made it look easy...because he has done it a couple of time...and then it is easy.

I was getting frustrated because I was having trouble getting the ‘trigger return spring out’. In his YouTube he just whizzed right through it, and I found the spring so strong and then I missed one of his words....1 minute and 36 seconds into his Youtube I missed his word, “Pry....” He done it so quickly, it looked so easy, and then replaced the new spring with a Ball Point pen so quickly. After I did it a couple of times and knew how, yes it was quick and easy.

Here is how I can do it now – in less than 15 seconds. Although I will take much longer because I will polish and lube the spring housing:
1. Use the point of a pocket knife to push under the back edge of the spring housing and lift it up slightly just to get a small screw driver under it....and while holding one hand over the whole thing so the spring won’t go flying, “PRY” the back of the housing up until the spring is clear and the end of the spring comes out. That is it for removing the old spring.

2. The reason Jerry made it look so easy installing the new spring with his Ball Point Pen is...because the new spring is so much more weaker than the original that it is easier to just push the new spring in. Make sure that the Ball Point Pen tip is out.

3. And then just a minute to remove and install the new Main Spring.

Just this morning I did this with a S & W Model 36 Air Weight...except I again used the original springs. I again ground down both springs with a Dermal.

I have come to the conclusion to not cut any coils from the coil springs, leave them the original length. Over the years I have cut coils from springs because I had not thought of taking the time to just weaken them. I have just stretched them out and then cut off coils.

I am seeing new weaker spring kits for 8.95 and so forth.

For what it is worth....I wished that I had come across this years ago.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#389 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Let me revisit this Boeing 737 issue again just because it is in the news again. All of these grounded planes are just setting around costing gobs of money for not being in service. Politics and money are at the root of this – big, big money. Big players are all vying for what they can get out of it. The way that I understand it is that it can be solved by adding one short sentence in the Flight Manual – good for one side, bad for another side. “Do not turn on the auto pilot until cruise altitude is reached.” A lot of extra fuel is required for ‘climb-out’ relative to cruise. And if this ‘climb-out’ can be more efficiently controlled by computerized autopilot, the operators can save a little money. A little here and a little there, pretty soon it can add up to big money. Even if there are more ulterior motives, something big is keeping them grounded. And maybe, just maybe it is Boeing themselves. When big planes like these are setting idle there is a lot of room for problems to develop. That is to say, the longer that this is allowed to go on, the more unsafe the planes will be. And therefore, and therefore it is not inconceivable for someone to say that, we should just scrap these, or sell them off to private parties. Insurance companies will lose some money but Boeing is already designing a more efficient model and probable have. The Boeing employees would just love the overtime for the next 20 years building replacements – just a rambling thought.

It is well known that there is enough oil and gas reserves under Colorado alone to supply the US for the next 400 years...add New Mexico and Wyoming and what does one get? Our government can not and will not allow the unfettered oil well drilling. I was talking to an older fellow a while back and he said that he can remember oil at 75 cent a barrel in Texas. He didn’t say just what year this may have been

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”