Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#166 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:26 pm

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (296.93 KiB) Viewed 684 times
Here is an idea for one with the space...An all weather shooting range...see that lighted tube in the middle of the picture. Above ground or below ground out from a basement. Make it sound proof/sound surpressed so as to not bother neighbors if need be.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#167 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:47 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
That is one fun plane to fly - The owner would sell it to me for a mere 100 K.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#168 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:16 pm

DSC_0003-001 (2).jpg
Okay – With the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN article that was hard to read...I managed to enlarge the important parts. Believe it or not this is hard for the average shooter to understand the science of and therefor largely ignored and not believed - By the shooters, by the reloaders, by the gunsmiths and the barrel makers. The barrel makers may ignore this because of the possible confliction with their business, I don’t know. If they can sell a new barrel every 150 rounds to a bench rest shooter I am sure it has an influence. But I do have my guess with why the shooters, the reloaders, and the gunsmiths ignore it.

These test were made with non stainless steel barrels, so what could be the results with the stainless barrels? Just a Titanium sleeved barrel could do wonders.

I can't get two photos to attach so will attach other in next posting.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#169 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:59 pm

Road kill rules here in Colorado – I did this only once, 20 years ago. Then there was a five dollar fee. I did it just for the big set of antlers to make knife handles. Just like this article says, the meat can be a mess.
A large part of the highway between here and Durango is on one side of a river/creek, and the deer and elk cross this 60 mile stretch of highway back and forth by the thousands every day just to drink...usually starting at dusk. The deer are usually left to the ravens and coyotes but the elk are sometimes picked up because the meat can be okay and they may yield a lot of good knife handles. https://www.westword.com/news/rules-in- ... t-11047559

http://www.sehinc.com/news/dot-keeping- ... e-crossing
The funnel fencing does work of course but just for that part so funneled. And I wonder just why the elk may feel claustrophobic and not use them where the deer will. I wonder if more money could be spent on teaching the elk to learn English better so they could read the signs. And I wouldn't put it past the state to fake the deer using the crossings just to justify them.

Along this highway here there is one of the private deer and elk farms that are common here in Colorado. One can drive in and go ‘hunting’....This (hunter) is taken by horse back to a ravine, and a wrangler drives a trophy animal up this ravine, and the guide says, “Oh look, there is an elk.” And this hunter is charged by the number of points on the antlers as this hunter has indicated before this ‘hunt’ that he would like. Even bison can be brought in if some Brave Hunter wishes to do that. Ted Turner owns most of the bison around here. And the local markets sell it for, from what I see, around 7 $ a pound for the ground and more for the steaks. I have tried it once, supposedly, and for me I can’t differentiate it from beef.

http://lobooutfitters.com/packtrips.html Notice the comment about Grizzly Bear. I have lived here for 24 years and this is the first time that I have heard about this – I don’t believe it. What I did see one time was a Long Horn with no ear tags, as if it was a left-over from years ago. I know of one water hole that some bear, regular black bear, come down to every day to drink. Now who would think that setting in the bushes near this pond and shooting a nice, a nice thirsty bear would be sporting? Believe it or not, there are some that do. Another thing, it is illegal to bait wild game animals here in Colorado, but one can go to a store and buy a battery powered Turkey Feeder broadcaster to automatically scatter turkey feed on a timed schedule. I had a neighbor that did this just to be nice to the turkeys in the winter that may otherwise die – yep, someone turned him in. The owner of the land next to us put a salt block out for the deer...again, someone complained and the game warden made him remove it. He made the mistake of using the Salt Block. Had he used Rock Salt in stead, none would be the wiser. Be nice to your deer and give them some Rock Salt. Now if one uses this salt to ‘bait’ the deer, this would be illegal, in most states, I guess. Quite often, the legalities of something is determined by how good your lawyer is. Years ago one didn’t have to be a lawyer (member of the BAR) to be a member of the US Supreme Court or represent someone at a Supreme Court hearing. It was just a few years ago that that was changed, by them of course. I think that in the US, one can represent themselves in any court below the US Supreme Court. I have done it just for the experience. I did hire a lawyer one time – I didn’t want to take the chance. These were all for minor traffic offenses. I recall three times for representing myself.
https://law.freeadvice.com/litigation/a ... t_case.htm
I don't recall just how I got off into this.

A local guy kept trying to get the state to reimburse him for wolf-kill of his sheep. The state said that any bunch of dogs could have done it. He shot a wolf in with his sheep and the state fined him a thousand dollars and the last I heard, they still hadn't paid him for the sheep.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#170 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:14 am

DSC_0004 (2).jpg
The other part...
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#171 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Everyone has to believe in something....like this barrel life thing. Some will believe that a barrel is only good for maybe 150 rounds, therefore don’t use any break-in rounds to subtract from this. And then some may read about this 14,000 round test. There is a lot of difference between these and I will assume that most will just accept something between these two possible extremes because I will also just assume that most will not actually make any kind of test themselves...so be it. There is an old adage that says, if a lie is repeated often enough that it will become a truth. I believe that there is lot of truth among shooters with this...and history, I see so much of it, unfortunately. And I also wonder how some can say things with so much assurancy...Folly comes to my mind.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#172 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:49 pm

Nothing but fun....If one really wants to have some fun, really, really have some fun....just learn to fly in one of these. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fl ... &FORM=VDRE

Actually most do not realize that one can learn to fly in 10 or 15 minutes. Now taking off and landing and taking care of emergencies are a different story – :ugeek:

But just plain flying (controlling), can be learned quite quickly.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#173 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:26 pm

This is the kind of plane that I use to have. Aeronca Champ 7-AC, fully aerobatic. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ae ... ORM=VDRVRV
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#174 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:10 am

Scan.BMP-001.jpg
Cyrstal Ball extra -
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#175 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:57 pm

http://www.inforevz.us/ProFlightSim/

I have three of these but they are all old – 20 to 30 years. I have the Joy Sticks and Foot Peddles. This particular one is not a real training program, but they are available as well. I have seen them for up to 200 $ and more of course. They are a lot cheaper than going straight to an airport and flight instructor. Play with these for a while and then go to that instructor and then it may be for the minimum time. I have belonged to three flying clubs and one of them was the NAS Cubi Point Flying Club and they had 3 of the Navy trainers, T-34’s that the navy had given them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_T-34_Mentor

Let me add this about Flying Clubs, they are not the safest things to be involved with...mainly because of water in the fuel, but look at all of those others that are ‘messing’ with the planes. Believe it or not, one is more likely to get water in the fuel with the airport fuel stations than a regular vehicle Gas Station, it happened to me twice, in very bad positions. And water doesn’t act like one might think in a fuel tank. it is called ‘surface tension’, and because of this, the water problems will usually show up on take offs or landings or after abrupt attitude changes. One can see all kinds of situations where small planes land in golf courses or on freeways...and usually because of water in the fuel. With me it happened after some maximum slipping and the other at take-off as the tail went up. Here and in the mountains in general it is a bad place to have an engine quit because of this. This can be prevented, CAN BE PREVENTED. I have went around with the FAA on this and since politics rule on this, it will continue to happen. The FAA rules say that only the owners of the plane can modify their plane with my fool-proof water detection system. There are systems available for installation by the qualified FAA mechanic but not popular. Not popular because of the dumbest reason, the fuel stations are responsible for properly filtering out the water of their fuel. So therefore, therefore, most of the pilots will think, that since the fuel supplier is responsible for this, why should they worry. And you may think that there should not be pilots flying around like this.

I can modify a plane that I own with my water detection system for anywhere between five dollars and up, depending on the sophistication of the design. But I can’t do this to someone else's plane or even show them how....because of all the personal injury lawyers out there.

Another thing with the FAA flight training...as I was talking to a FAA flight safety officer one time, that worked in Denver, I pointed out that there was no requirement for ‘box-canyon recovery’ training. His response was that it is up to the pilot if they would like additional training with this. Heck, not one in a thousand would think of this and less would even bother to teach themselves. I sure taught myself in my Aeronca Champ. If one would talk to an instructor, they might tell them to reduce power completely....and I would say go to ‘full power’ immediately. And on emergency short field landings, the FAA teaches to go to idle power...and I say to make the shortest landing possible go to ‘full Power’. Now one should before such a situation arises, learn how to do this. This doesn’t apply to jets with more thrust than weight. With all of these mountains around here there are numerous fatalities with Box Canyon types of situations. And this same FAA safety officer told me that he saw no reason for any water detection system in a plane because ‘the fuel provider is responsible for this’. Which comes first, the rights or the rites?

As well, most don’t realize that the FAA just teaches one to barely fly...just barely. They act as if the new pilot is to go out and really take the time to teach themselves how to do better at it. But most don’t. They will usually just get their license and never look back...at training. There are such things as finishing schools but few bother. I saw where JFK Junior was taking something like this but was flying in bad weather before he had enough of the teachens. It can take only seconds to get into a bad situation. And there is no such a thing as enough training – there is always room for some more. Quite a few years ago it was decided that spin recovery was not really required for a pilot to learn. But ask a pilot right as he is spinning out of control at take – off if he wished that he knew how to get out of his spin? My guess is that JFK Junior was possible/probable spinning out of control as he went down. Look at the pros and cons on this training. https://www.bing.com/search?q=is%20it%2 ... 645B71F3E8
Can grown adults really have discussions like this – you had better believe they can. And somewhere every day people die because they don’t know how to recover from a spin quick enough. I say...keep practicing until one can recover from a spin in less than 50 feet. And in doing this they will learn how to recognize the beginning of spin. In the military, US, they use to teach every student how to spin one half times, one time, and by the half times all the way up to maybe ten times...I don’t know what they do today. In my Aeronca Champ I taught myself how to taxi on one main wheel only and just the tail wheel only, for a short distance. Was that required, heck no. I have a neighbor that has an RV-6 and he is up there quite often and just practices around here because of some 25 or so square miles of relative flat land and I can notice that he is practicing something all of time. A buddy of his killed himself because he didn’t get out of a spin quick enough as they were practicing together.

I took some more time at looking at this 97 $ Simulator above. I smell a rat...they give no telephone number for checking anything first....They say that they have already answered any possible questions that one may have. They imply that they will allow contact from one by telephone or internet, AFTER one has purchased the Simulator. I think that this may be called not passing the smell test. But I am sure that there are some good ones out there.

https://studentpilotnews.com/2015/03/23 ... -training/
Last edited by OLDGUNNER on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#176 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:24 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ERCO_Ercoupe

This was a plane with only two controls, the yoke and throttle, no rudder peddles. Sears and Roebuck sold them. I saw in the article about it being landed with the pilot holding his hands in the air. I am wondering just when he took his hands off...and put them back on.

Management must have really been bad. I realize that WW2 interupted but could have resummed after. What a slick simple good looking airplane. Why isn't someone making something similar now-a-days? Rudder peddles can always be added.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#177 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:24 pm

A very strange thing happens among plane owners. They will buy planes, they will buy airplane kits, based on fuel consumption and fuel efficiencies, usually in GPH, Gallons Per Hour, without realizing that in most cases where someone just does the typical occasional flying, the fuel costs are the least of all the other total costs...such as insurance, hanger and tie-down fees, required periodic maintenance and all of the general up-keep of a plane. Now with most commercial flying the fuel costs may be the more important – that is a different story.

But one will be surprised how this fuel in GPH will sway them in a plane purchase. An example in 1964, my Aeronca Champ would burn say 4 GPH, and AV gas was 25 cent per gallon. This would be about 1 dollar per 85 miles. Now an Aeronca Champ is not what one would call a fuel efficient plane. If I had keep it waxed and polished and hangered which I never did, I might have gotten 90 miles - big deal, save a few cents on mileage.

At the time I was working with a Lockheed F-104 German Pilot Training Program at Luke AFB near Phoenix, AZ. The German Air force had bought 1099 F-104’s, and then, and then found out that they couldn't train their pilot’s to fly them. They had lost over a hundred planes and pilots very quickly. First of all the F –104’s were hard to fly and then on top of that they had all of that bad weather that was common for Germany.

So, our Air Force said that for 175,000 dollars each, they would train a pilot from scratch, one’s that did not have an any pilot training at all, to fly these F-104’s. So, Germany bought another 99 aircraft and sent them to Luke AFB. Since I had been involved with the building of these 99 aircraft at the Lockheed plant in California, I went with the program, for the next year and a half.

The F-104 at its most efficient airspeed as I remember was about 225 to 275 knots, depending how configured and with the JP-4 at 6 cents per gallon, Air Force cost, and this plane got 8 miles per gallon, the same as a 1948 four hole Buick. My 57 Chevy Nomad was getting about 20 MPG. That big J-79 engine in that plane could get that good of mileage, about 31 MPG, if my math is correct, and at 6 cents per gallon.

Another thing, it was said, by some, that the F-104 had the glide angle of a rock – it was about 4 to 1 with minimum fuel. Guess what the glide angle of my Aeronca Champ was...4 to 1 with two people.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#178 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:07 pm

I saw one where the landing was just over 10 feet https://www.mostwatchedtoday.com/alaska ... mpetition/

I don’t know but I would guess that it may be lowered to 8 feet with a couple hundred more horse power – maybe take more.

It looks like the Take-Off distance for this guy may be about the same as for his Landing. Usually a guy will use more for his take-off than his landing.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#179 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:20 pm

This looks like less than 20 feet to me...but one can get the idea that the more power one is using, the slower they can land. https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaskan- ... way-video/
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#180 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:29 pm

OPINIONS - Just keep in mind that all things that I may say are just my opinions and shall not be construed as tips or advice. Remember...I don't know nothing for sure. But I have fun doing. And if one doesn't do, they will know less.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”