Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:19 pm

The forum title does say for Shooters & Collectors but I gather that most of the concern is of ‘Collectors’. But just let me throw out some my Hits & Misses of my thoughts on Shooting. Don’t even begin to think that I am saying that anything that I may say is in any way correct or an only way to look at things – it is not. It is just how I look at just some of the things, that may be different than that of others. This could be just some of those things, and will be in no particular order and some may see obvious ‘errors in my ways’ but if you would please point out any things that you may differ in. I am always...always in a learning mode - have been my whole life.

ACCURACY:

Other than type, I just cannot put any credence into any statement when someone may say that this particular firearm is more accurate that another. By type I mean, say a bolt action versus a lever action, versus a target model, versus a military type, etc.

Accuracy means repeatability from shot-to-shot or day-to-day or whatever.
The ammunition used usually has more to do with accuracy than the firearm.
The more repeatability of the ammunition that a particular firearm likes, the more accurate the firearm will be.
Everything about a firearm and ammunition is a ‘COMPROMISE’.
When accuracy of a particular firearm is discussed quite often the ability of the ‘shooter is’ not considered. How one may handle rough triggers, how he can repeat ‘sight pictures’. and on and on. Some people just think that if a particular firearm can not shoot just ‘any ammo’ accurately, it is not an ‘accurate’ firearm...I see this all of the time. I repeat, when someone says what they may say about accuracy, I can only wonder how they may have come to their conclusions.
I have found...generally, for accuracy find a load way down the velocity list, even for the heavier bullets ‘and’ find the better bullet load for the more heavier bullet of a given caliber. I just haven’t had the best luck using the more faster loads. I know that this conflicts with most.
For example, In the early 60’s I was just getting into serious reloading and lived in Palmdale California. The only real things to shoot besides paper were jackrabbits, coyotes and quail and deer in the mountains. So most all of my shooting and reloading was with jackrabbits and coyotes. And I had read an article where the guy thought that the most ideal caliber for everything was a .30-06 that could be reloaded for anything. So for no other reason than I didn’t know any better, I bought a .30-06 and tried it – bad idea, although once-fired brass and pulled GI bullets cost next to nothing I bought a lot of Sierra Bullets of all different weights. A mile from where I lived was a big 60 or 80 acre spot that I could drive to and the jackrabbits would come out of the brush near sundown, usually 500 to 700 hundred yards away, which was okay...the rabbits that I missed, which was usually, would just move over maybe a few inches. I didn’t have a scope on the rifle. But I hadn’t leaned that faster wasn’t better. I had my little charts with estimated ranges with all of these different bullet weights and powder loadings...but the bottom line was I never really had a good idea just where my bullet would go. An old saying, ”To be aware of the ‘one gun’ man” is so true. I just had not gotten around to learning that yet, about accuracy. But of course this would not be everything in learning reloading.

The last couple of inches of a firearm barrel and the direction that it is pointing and it’s bullet velocity at the time are two of the more important aspects of it’s accuracy.
Really bad ones...when someone ask if someone has a ‘good accurate load’ for some particular rifle - what pure ‘folly’. Should they be allowed to play with guns?
Another one...when someone has a recipe for some bullet lube and someone asks how ‘accurate is it’.
Again some will chase accuracy by changing bullet lube...what a lack of forethought in futility.
When choosing a bullet lube, just choose one and stick to it and vary the powder load for accuracy...and of course all of the other normal things. There is nothing really bad with playing with different bullet lubes if you wish. I am just saying that there may be more important things to deal with for accuracy.

I’ll say this, sure it’s no fun just to shoot one gun and I wouldn’t do it, but for striving for that ultimate accuracy it may be a good idea to shoot just one gun, with your best worked-up load. I had a friend here that did just that. He had a Winchester Model 70 in .308 and used only one factory load. He wasn’t hurting for money so he never got in to reloading. By the way he was in that famous Keystone Reserve Unit that they landed on Omaha Beach to use as cannon fodder and then crawled to Germany – the 28th division. He said that the company quota for line-men was four and most of the time he didn’t know the other guys and their company’s CO by name because they were killed so often. Talk about learn to shoot quick or die... He said that the German’s practice was as the they retreated was to leave some of their’s in hiding to shoot them as they advanced. And as a line-man he was always running a line to the front lines. He said that typically the Germans that were left behind had a priority of Officers, NCO’s and line-men so as to not give away their position as much as possible. Can you imagine how it was to get up in the morning and go to work.

There is no such thing as the best ammo or the best reloading info for accuracy for ‘ANY’ firearm. Just some can be better than others. No ‘best’ has come along yet....with anything. The best ‘so far’, yes.
If it wasn’t for the integrity of the firearm makers and makers of the reloading products, there would be a lot more accidents in reloading.

And surly not last but not least, smooth the bores of any firearm. The bores of any regular sporting or military firearm are purposely make with rough bores in the area of 320 grit to ‘SAVE WEIGHT’ of the firearm, again a compromise.

When it comes to accuracies of .22 rim fires, about the only way is to have good barrels and sights...and then shoot all of the available ammunition on the market and use the one that your rifle ‘likes’ best. These ‘barrel tuners’ may be a way of getting better accuracies out of different ammunition. I have a couple of these ‘barrel tuners’ but I haven’t taken the time to really put them to a good test.
One thing that I have learned is to really clean the bores of the .22’s every so often. I will even go so far as to say, clean the bores every time before any serious shooting.
Another thing, Just by putting a Tang Sight on a rifle will usually noticeable increase accuracy.

I think, I think...the main reason that those Winchester 52’s and Remington 513’s were known for their accuracies was simple that the bores were polished, and they had good peep sights as well. I shot them both right after the war, WWII of course. And I will say that I believe, I believe...that any good regular .22 can have it’s bore lapped and get just as good of accuracy with good target ammo.

LEAD ALLOYS FOR CASTING:

If one has the time or desire for playing with different lead alloys, go for it, I just stick to Wheel Weights....free weights only. They seem to be hard enough for me just the way they are. And there is sure nothing wrong with using the zinc wheel weights for casting, just don’t try to use more than maybe 1 % lead with it. Just be safe and stay away from any lead with casting zinc. It just increases the melting temperatures so high and out of the normal casting range. Remember all of the noise about a little zinc contaminating one’s lead for casting...not so, just a case of repeating bum dope. I think 1 % zinc only increases the melting temperature maybe 100 Degrees F. Now anything over typically 1 % to maybe 99 % sharply increases the melting temperature to way up there. maybe 1500 or so, I forget. Stay out of that range.

SHOTGUNS, OH YES:

Over and Under shotguns are accepted as the most accurate for shooting Trap and Skeet, by some...and I will say that not all, as some are the are the least accurate against a single barrel Shotgun. Simple because of the difficulty of getting both barrels of the Over and Under to shoot at the same point of shot-centering, for soldered barrels. The two single barreled are of course no problem. The better the shot-centering and pattering, the higher the price and of course the better tuning and other nice looking attributes. I have a Winchester 101 Skeet Three Barrel Set, and all six barrels shoot at different measureable point of centering...up to maybe a couple of inches. And I have no idea how to adjust this. Whereby I can adjust any single barrel shotgun to center, just by simple bending the barrel.

In 1975 I was working in the Philippines and there was a Winchester sponsored ‘Winchester World Open Skeet Shoot’ in Yokosuka, Japan and I was just learning how to shoot skeet and had just worked up to B class, and I went. I tied for first place in B class. And the Winchester-Japan spokesman at the shoot noticed that I was shooting his 101’s. I showed him a small quarter inch patch in my stock and he took it and had it worked on that night and had a new stock installed and gave it back to me the next day. He said that he told them to replace it with their best stock – I still have it.

With shotguns – do you realize just how may shooters will ‘not’ adjust the ‘Drop and Cast-Off’ of their stocks, and why, can anyone give a logical reason?

DEER HUNTING:

In some areas as when I was a kid it was the practice of half the group would ‘Drive’ the wooded patch while the other half would ‘Stand’ at the other end of the patch. I did this once and thought that this was just not the most prudent thing to do and I never did it again. Now I would go with my dad or someone else but always stay within sight of each other.
And now-a-days deer hunters will think that it is just properly sporting to set in a blind on a stool and wait until a deer happens by and ‘High-Five’ one another when shooting a deer from ambush. Oh golly how sad I think that this is. I see it all of the time on TV hunting shows where adults do this and teach their kids to do it – I don’t think that this is in any way part of proper hunting. Could it be just me showing my age and not for the better? If it is, just so much not for this better, I say.

Anyway, just some of my thoughts, I still can have some...some can’t I realize.

I think that it would be nice for any opposing view on my thoughts, so please let me know if you bothered to read this.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Smokey
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#2 Post by Smokey » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Once someone picks the rifle up off the bench and shoots from a "field" position, that minute-of-angle rifle may not even stay on the paper.
Under those conditions, most won't see the difference between a tack driver and one that shoots 4 inch groups at 100 yards.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Yes, of course, but why are there so many people that have guns...shoot guns, that don’t understand this? How can something so innately basic be so hard to understand by anyone that is out-and-about on the streets and not locked up in some insane asylum?
And, and....no matter how that rifle will shoot there, later or when every, without finding it's best load, one will know nothing about it's potential accuracy. I think that a lot of people just forget this.

I was living in LA in the late 50’s and a neighbor showed me his new rifle that he had just bought for 500 dollars, and at the time that was a bunch of money for the average rifle buyer.
The accuracy story: A local gun maker was selling his custom .30-06 rifles that he made up and guaranteed to shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards. At that time this was sort of a bench-mark of accuracy. At that time the most expensive high powder rifle I had was a couple of 14.95 7.35 Carcanos that I could shoot 1.5 to 2 inch 100 yard groups with.

Anyway my neighbor said that he couldn’t get his to shoot this 1 MOA so he was going to go over to the maker and talk about this and ask if I would like to go along – well sure.

Both my neighbor and the gun maker were just plain super nice guys. This gun maker told me and showed me how he made up these guns – just a one-man operation in his shop. He had a five or six month waiting list for his. He started out by going up to the Pasadena Gun Store and buying a dozen or two of their 29.95 Springfield O3’s, he got a break on this. He said that that he found out that the two groove shot just as well as the four groove so that didn’t make any difference to him but it did to potential customers so he stayed with the four groove.

He had a favorite gun-stock wood store that he usually paid 175 to 200 per piece and put the same scope on each rifle, a Weaver V8. He worked up the load for each rifle with 150 grain Sierra Bullets and gave 20 rounds of polished once fired GI brass and all of the reloading information with each rifle, along with the 1 MOA guarantee. Now of course the guarantee didn’t mean that anyone could do it, just that the rifle could do it. He had various rifles in the process of make-up. He showed me how he finished his stocks – oh how they all looked so pretty...I still use his method to this day for any of my stock work. And I bought a Weaver V8 Scope. As far as I am concerned these are just as good as any 1000 dollar Leupold today, actually better because of design. They were 40 some $ at the time. When I was buying 5 $ Monscopes. People will just say that these cheap Monoscopes are no good just because they were so cheap. I have at least four and they are so clear. They were made in Japan right after the war. Now I am not saying that ‘all’ models of Monoscopes are good – just that the one’s I have are super clear. I don’t have any of their later variable type, just the fixed power.

Okay, we agreed to meet at Hutton’s Shooting Range in west LA. He was to show my nieghbor that ‘He’ could shoot the 10 shot, 100 yard, 1 inch group. He brought his ammunition that he had made up for this particular rifle. He used maybe 3 for barrel warmers and then did it with his first try. Here is the main point that I like to remember...This wasn’t with a custom made barrel by some some barrel maker – It was just an off-the-rack surplus barrel where at the time one could buy one or a thousand for 29.95. And...My neighbor was so impressed that he ordered another right then for, ‘HIS WIFE’S BIRTHDAY.”....For her birthday, righttttt.
My neightbor showed me accuracy tricks with hand guns that most people don’t even think of and don’t show up in these gun forums.

Hutton said that he was one of the first three contributing editors for the new magazine, “GUNS AND AMMO’’. He had a gun store on Santa Monica Boulevard and I stopped by there and bought my first .30-06, 175 $.

And still today one can find where some will swear that nothing but a custom 400 or 500 dollar barrel is crap. I have read where a typical manufacturing time for a custom rifle barrel may be an hour and 10 or 15 minutes. I bought a Mossberg .410 Pump Shotgun with ventilated rib and rubber butt pad at Walmart a couple of years ago for 169 $. Now how many hours could be spent on making them – what, maybe 3 at the most. I made a 20 gauge shotgun when I was maybe 12...My dad saw it just as I was finishing it and threw it away. Yes, I had used a plain piece of cast iron water pipe as a barrel...but I was going to fire it with a long piece of Kite String. I never worked on it when he was around, but I made a mistake and he caught on.

Some people like to say, “There is no such thing as a stupid question.” Well I say, that the person that thinks this can’t be too sharp. Stupid people will tend to ask stupid questions. And if they can’t recognize a stupid question, well I can’t say much for them. This would be for a different forum.

Here is a shooting story that some may find odd or strange-but true. I was in the Air Force and it was in the spring of 53 and I was ‘ordered’ to shoot people, and if I didn’t I would be found guilty of disobeying an order and sent to Federal Prison. Now that was one heck of place to be in. But if some can’t buy this, I can explain in a PM. I think that one would have to had been in the military to understand this.

Yes....accuracy, can be discussed to no end but mostly just ignored by most...this gun will go boom and that’s it. Proof of this, how many people will bother to adjust the drop and cast-off of their gun, or find the best load that their gun will shoot, or shoot some paper with their shotgun to see where the shot pattern is centered, or shoot at different angles in a gully to see how much their vertical bullet placement will vary – usually not too many. Hasn’t one heard someone say, “Oh, polishing the brass doesn’t help with the shooting accuracy so why do it?

Now if some want to keep their surplus firearm original, that’s a ‘different story’.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 am

Oh heck, it doesn’t sound too bad. Yes, ordered to shoot people...if. Well it was like this...It was May. 1953...The Korean Conflict was going hot and heavy. Have you heard of the ‘Peter Principle’? I attribute a whole lot of this incident to this, ‘Peter Principle.’ To me it was down right ridiculous. I was in the Air Force and setting at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey, for a month awaiting travel to Newfoundland, Canada. They were waiting for enough troops to fill this General transport ship to go to Europe with 4000 Army and 400 Air Force troops, and a bunch of dependents on the USS General Muri.

But during this waiting at Camp Kilmer, I had one day of ‘detail’ and that was it for the whole month. I was told to go to the Base Prison one morning and was given a half hour of instructions and watched a half hour Army Training movie on how to conduct a Prisoner Work Detail. They were surely short of Army MP’s but they were maybe 10 of us that was to take three prisoners each out in the morning and three different ones in the afternoon out for ‘Work Detail’, but here is the bad part. Some where in the upper structure of the Prisoner network some officer had said to take these prisoners out and work them....and the Sergeants just said, ‘Yes Sir’. With no questions. The Training Movie showed a work detail prisoner sneaking around behind the guard and hitting them over the head with their shovel and killing him. The Sergeant giving the orientation said, don’t let this happen to you. Stay far enough away that you will have a chance to shoot them if they try it and keep them in your sight at all times. And...and, if we would let one escape we would be Courts Martialed and sent to Prison...and keep one finger on your loaded carbine safety at all times ready to shoot. Here I am 19 years old, given a .30 Cal Carbine and a couple of extra magazines, and they never ask any of us if we knew how to use the carbine. And in the movie the guard hollered ‘Halt three times’ before he shot at a running prisoner, and the Sergeant said to forget that part, just shoot, these are hardened criminals and don’t let them kill you. Now why in the heck were these guys let out to walk around the base in the first place – just one of those military war-time things. And in that morning’s work detail one of the guys ask me if I would shoot one of the others if he would run into the woods because he was headed to Fort Leavenworth for murder and had nothing to lose. Holy Crap, I just said well yes I would and I knew how to use this carbine and I could empty the magazine into him before he hit the ground. Everyone went back to work and we all got back to the prison safely at noon.
And then I realized why I was on that detail without questioning me about using the carbine. During basic we had a few of hours training with it and I qualified for ‘Marksman’ and actually Sharpshooter but only Marksman was in my record because to qualify for Sharpshooter one had to shoot in certain other shoots....at the time.
And now for the rest of the story...these guys were US Army types that had been convicted of murder and rape in Europe and were headed to US military prisons - what a deal. Oh what a dumb thing, I thought.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#5 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:00 pm

ACCURACY: You are dog-gone right, polished brass will shoot better than the uncleaned brass, probable. One doesn’t have to be an Einstein to figure this out. It is called ‘Pride in workmanship’. Chances are, CHANCES ARE, if one takes the time to do this, they will also take more time in preparing their reloads for better accuracy.

On my very first day in Japan, I came back to my hotel about midnight and there was a work crew making some emergency repair in the street in front of the hotel, with their Jackhammer. They all were wearing the same type of coveralls....and under these they ‘all’ were wearing a white shirt and tie. This is what the US worker doesn’t show much of these days...Pride in Workmanship. Just look at the Japanese school teachers - they show up to work immaculately dressed. This is in general an Asian trait. They wouldn’t think of having their school teachers showing up fat and overweight wearing some sloppy jeans or pants. When I was kid in school the teachers took pride in Workmanship, unlike today. I can see the difference. Why don’t others in power see this and change it. This is what made those 5 $ Monoscopes so good.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#6 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:38 pm

I don’t like to use the word ‘tip’ because it may sound presumptuous to some. But if I was to tell my son maybe how to shoot more accurately with a shotgun I may do this: But I sure wouldn’t need to. He came by one time and we went out back to do some shooting. When he shot my hand guns he just took the gun in hand, turned it over, looked at the other side and shot my hand loads...after a couple of shots, shot for a Bulls eye. And I said, where in the heck did you learn how to shoot that good. And I got a, ‘Oh I don’t know’. First time that he had seen them , except for two, years ago when he was a kid. I asked how many guns do you own and he said 115 handguns and 15 shotguns. He owned and ran a security business after he retired from the Air Force, and at the time he had 275 guards.
Accuracy...where does it come from? He said that one time because of his security business he was asked if he would like to come out to a near-by Army base and shoot in a Base Shoot. Now we can all hear and read about all the Holla Beloo and things that hand gun shooters do to their guns and reloading to shoot better. He said that he never got into reloading but would like to. But...he said that he shot just the guns for the first time that they were using, with just GI ammo. Now here is the best part...we all know about the Army Shooters and their dedicated reputations and, etc. But he said that he just lucked out and out-shot them all, that day. After seeing him shoot that day behind our house, I could see why. Now what do you think, that I think, about all the fuss that some talk about, this lube and that lube, this alloy and that alloy, about accuracy? One can read articles and YouTubes galore about this. I say, just set in your living room and practice returning to the same ‘sight picture’ and ‘dry-fire’ with the dummy practice cartridge and that will go a long way in achieving that evasive accuracy. Just do that with each hand gun you own. Not just a dozen or so times but a thousand times with each gun and then do it again....and then again. Of course inter mix this with normal shooting recoil. Now that does not in any way imply not to ‘fine tune’ the gun.

I bought a spring/air fired hand gun one time with special ammo for practicing in one’s living room. “You can hit a quarter at 25 feet.” What a crock...Yes, after maybe 50 tries- it was worthless.

With the shotgun....I moved to Phoenix in 64 and really went through a lot 12 gauge shotgun shells with not too many dove. I bought a used .410 full choke and taped up the plastic wads 3/4 of the way with scotch tape, and after just a short time was able to really improve my dove shooting. The same with Skeet, I found that just practicing with a super full choke .410, the other gauges were no problem. But I think, I think, one should bend the barrel of a single barreled to center the shot pattern first. I found it impossible to find such a thing as an adjustable choke for a .410, so I can make my own for a buck and a half, for any shotgun.
ACCURACY – it means different things to different people.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#7 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:45 pm

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Vandalee% ... 31BE566C13

For those that have not heard of the Vandalee shot shell wad, it is basically what was made like if one would use Scotch Tape to tape a regular spit-wad so it wouldn’t open and carry the shot column further before opening as normal resulting in a more ‘fuller choke pattern’. I don’t remember if I got the idea from seeing these wads or got the idea from something else, but both work. They may be made still today but definitely not so popular – don’t know why.

I remember an article one time about a Remington Factory Shooter that wanted a more tight shot pattern to practice skeet with so he just used shotgun slugs.

That give me the idea of buying a clay target thrower and using .22’s to practice with....just never got around to that.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#8 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 pm

I just saw on another forum where some guy really bad-mouthed Larry Potterfield for his Gunsmithing videos. I just think that they are very informative, very precise, and very well presented and I try to watch them all. His complaint was that Larry Potterfield sometimes used expensive tooling and jigs not had by the typical gun owner. I just found some of his new ones that I haven’t seen. Now why would any normal person complain about this? I just think that this guy may be a victim of some of the poor school systems that have become so popular these days like here in Colorado. I think that a gene pool is the basis for all this.

I don’t know if some of the bad thing that they are doing here is being done in other states. A few years ago they went to a 4 and a half day school week...this year some districts will be going to a 4 day school week with talks of the 3 day school week as they will save so much more. And get this, some of the school district here will quit teaching students how to write this fall. They say that since they are only teaching with key boards there will be no need for hand writing. Opponents to this are saying that people will have to learn how to sign legal documents and checks, oh no on the checks because they can used credit cards...if some feel it is really necessary for someone to know how to sign their name, their parents can teach them. What a deal, huh?

I have talked to some of the high school students here and a lot of their classes they say are like a ‘play period’. Some high graduates here in Pagosa are not making it into the US military because of the lack of basic skills, now isn’t that bad?

In 1984 I was asked at work to show two brand new Electrical Engineers around the place and show them what their job would be. Neither one knew the multiplication tables. One said that they just used a calculator and didn’t need to. They both had to move on to some other place.

Anyway, this is the way it is now-a-days.

On those Larry Potterfield videos, he must be paying for some good Personal Liability Insurance. In most Gunsmith schools I understand that they are told to do not under normal circumstances tell a customer, or a person, how to do anything to a firearm. They can be held responsible if the person doesn’t do it right or anything can go wrong and a Personal Injury attorney can fight like a Tasmanian Devil and ruin your whole day.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=larry+pot ... =QBRE&sp=4

And: https://abc13.com/education/colorado-sc ... k/3956131/
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#9 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:34 pm

NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#10 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:56 am

FWTW – This is the most accurate hand gun that I have ever shot and in the late 50’s were 70 $ or so. I have never shot one of those ‘Free style’ types. But as far as I am concerned this basic design could be made by any manufacture and I don’t know why they are not. Now these are relatively hard to find at a reasonable price. I bought one of those Ruger Target models and found them super good and always wanted to port the barrel and rig up the fine tuning weights, but that is just another thing that I never got around to. Don’t get me wrong, I have never learned how to shoot a hand gun worth a darn.

But if you ever have a chance to get one, you will surely be surprised with it. And here is another thing that I could never figure out...Why aren’t more military firearms made with ported barrels, especially the fully automatic types?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hi ... &FORM=IGRE
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#11 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:07 pm

With all of the .45 1911’s that may hit the market some may want to try their hand at accurizing them. I did it with my DCM 1911 when they were 19.95. I found that it can be done easily and fairly inexpensive. I don’t want to say too much on how I did it because of the liability issue. But I did it some what by following the NRA GUNSMITHING GUIDE Hand Book - Everyone should have one. I guess they have the necessary Liability Insurance. But I modified it and fine tuned it to suit my fancy. I did it by not buying any new parts and it sure made a difference.

A disclaimer about not being responsible about anything doesn’t mean too much to some aggressive Personal Injury Attorneys.
Last edited by OLDGUNNER on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#12 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Just my opinion - So much useful information...still has the same front cover picture. It would answer so many questions that some may ask and wonder about.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#13 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:03 pm

I don’t know who all in the DOD that this effected, but I was authorized to shoot 42,000 rounds of ‘High Powered’ ammunition per year for practice. Why the odd amount, I don’t know.

The Chief in charge of the Armory at NAS Cubi Point just said, too much bother with the paper work, just check out any firearm I want and shoot all the ammo that I wished. I never even come close to that much.

It looks like for 24 years that could have been 1,008,000 rounds. That to me would have been a lot of shooting – never happened.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#14 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Off topic, This-N-That...I just came back from town doing some shopping and I saw a sign in front of some store at the nearest parking spot to the entrance. “RESERVED PARKING.” I wondered who for.
It reminded me of one time in Phoenix where I stopped at a furniture store and at the closest parking spot at the entrance was a sign, “RESERVED FOR MR. SO-AND SO”. I went in, and asked the lady who came over who was this Mr. so-and-so...Oh he is the owner, he is right there...is that his car outside...yes. The parking lot was empty except for two vehicles, his and mine. I was prepared to buy some furniture. But instead, I told her what I thought of some store owner that would do such a thing. I let it be known in no uncertain terms what I thought of anyone that was so dumb and stupid to do such a thing. He just stood there with his dumb look on his face as I walked out still berating him. And besides, I don’t think much of people referring to themselves as ‘Mr.’ such and such. As far as I was concerned he had more money than sense. He made my day.

One time I saw a parking space with the sign nearest the entrance, “RESERVED FOR VIP’S – THE CUSTOMERS”.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#15 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:20 pm

ACCURACY-----Uniform case neck tension - I believe that induction heating is the thing to come in case annealing...It is so simple compared to the flame method but, BUT...the makers of the devices are going to soak the buyers for all they can get, just because it is new...and....it is more complicated to make the unit. Just not as simple as lighting a propane torch. But actually for the some that know how to make one, it should be cheap as a few dollars with parts from a salvage yard . The makers are going to try to make you believe that their complicated circuitry is required and sell them for hundreds all because of the timing. But there will be some DIY circuits and YouTubes on the web that will just explain that the basic cheap circuits will work just fine. An old ‘fast charging’ 150 amp battery charger that has a burned up switch or a burned out diode or one’s 250 amp arc welder should make one, Or a half dozen transformers from burned up microwave ovens should be enough. Anyway most people don’t anneal the necks of cases because they find it a pain in the rear. But with the induction heater just stick the neck in a coil and hit a switch for a couple of seconds or whatever.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... om-giraud/
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”