Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Interarms Mark X .458 Win Mag Tang

Johnm1
United States of America

Interarms Mark X .458 Win Mag Tang

#1 Post by Johnm1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:28 pm

IMG_0978.JPG
NOTE: I am having a heck of a time uploading pictures. This is the forth attempt to post this topic. For some reason I lock up when I try to add a second picture to the thread. this has happened on two different devices. I suspect it is user error, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm going to post the text and one picture in this post and hopefully it will be easier to post pictures in a reply.

Bought this Interarms Mark X in .458 Win Mag for $300 OTD. It has some issues with a little bit of rust and the stock is cracked at the tang. I need this like a hole in the head, but it was $300. I can deal with the rust. But the tang crack has me worried. If I'm wrong I could end up with a barreled receiver powered by a .458 Win Mag in my face. But I will post additional pictures that show the actual crack and how the Mark X handles recoil.

In general I wouldn't mind getting a micro-fit stock and doing the minor fitting required to fit the .458 barrel. But I don't think the micro-fit stock will come with the stock bolt. From the pictures that follow I think that the actual location of the stock bolt is required to be very precise. And although I have some woodworking skills, I don't think I can drill a stock bolt and get it within 1/32" (or closer). So, I'd prefer to salvage this stock.

The basic question will be if the crack at the tang is superficial or structural. More to follow.

Johnm1
United States of America

Re: Interarms Mark X .458 Win Mag Tang

#2 Post by Johnm1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:36 pm

I'm gong to try to post two pictures in this reply:

Here is a photo of the offending crack. The bedding is atrocious and I believe it to be factory. Maybe not. Someone has tried to repair the crack in the tang by adding two stock pins and epoxying the crack. A true repair, in my mind, would require removing the stock pins and repairing the tang crack properly. I have no idea how to remove the stock pins other
The attachment IMG_0986.JPG is no longer available
than drilling them out. And, they were not installed square to the centerline of the stock.

IMG_0986.JPG

Johnm1
United States of America

#3 Post by Johnm1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Well, it looks like I'll have to do this one picture at a time.

Here is a picture of the stock pins.
Attachments
IMG_0980.JPG

Johnm1
United States of America

#4 Post by Johnm1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Here is a photo of the barreled receiver alongside the stock. In my mind, the recoil is handled by the two recoil lugs. one just in front of the magazine well that uses the stock bolt, and the lug that is attached to the barrel just behind the rear sight.

My real question is if the tang crack wasn't a result of poor fitting at the tang, not enough relief, or possibly from firing with the stock screws loose. I have the skills to relieve the tang a bit more and cosmetically cover up the crack IF the recoil is really being addressed by the two recoil lugs. If I'm wrong it will mean many hours at the dentist and plastic surgeon.
Attachments
IMG_0981.JPG

Johnm1
United States of America

#5 Post by Johnm1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 pm

This last picture shows how poorly the rifle was bed. Drunken monkeys come to mind. As best I can tell, there isn't any cracking forward of the tang crack.
Attachments
IMG_0984.JPG

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”