Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SHOOTING RANGE

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

SHOOTING RANGE

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:50 am

I have lived here for 23 years and it seems that no one has been able to convince the local Forestry people to let some permanent targets and shooting benches be set up in a million plus acres of US forest land. We can set up some targets and have some portable little shooting benches but they can’t be left overnight. I bought one of the shooting benches but it is so flimsy that I only used it once. It is said that some have written to the Department of Interior but to no avail – They will still leave it up the local offices. Other clubs and so forth have no trouble with this around the country. The Forestry has posters and signs around, “This is your land to use.”

Okay, I will write to DC and see what they may say.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

timbo1955
Russia

Re: SHOOTING RANGE

#2 Post by timbo1955 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Every single month I go out to a Forrest service " target range" and haul out a pickup load of trash , and Im going to buy a small trailer to keep up , thats probably why , if not there , its else were including BLM , its a shame but its a sign of the time , doing this since 1974 , and Im losing

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#3 Post by Ghoulardi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:06 pm

OLDGUNNER wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:50 am
I bought one of the shooting benches but it is so flimsy that I only used it once.
it's been my experience that most things that are made of plastic and spindly legs are not worth looking at, let alone pull out money buy, and all these commercial portable shooting table fit that criteria; cheap made Chinese junk with a hefty price tag

if you want something that is sturdy, you are going to have to build it yourself. there are all sorts of folks on YOUTUBE that made some really sturdy portable shooting bench.
Okay, I will write to DC and see what they may say.
with the time you waste writing them, then waiting and waiting for a response, if that ever comes. in a few hours you can make your own sturdy portable bench and be using it the next day

here is one example it looks great and not that hard to make.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij0R5vuT1Wk
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:31 am

DSC01052-001.JPG
DSC01052-001.JPG (9.35 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Well....I figured that I have to talk to the local Forestry people first before writing anyone. I talked to ‘the man’....He is a nice guy, he knows his job, has been working for the US Forestry all of his working life. Nope, I will not complain to anyone in Washington. He said that if a ‘Club’ would want to do this fine. That way there would be someone responsible for the upkeep. I understand and agree completely. Pagosa is about 2,500 population and 6 thousand plus in the county, and not enough to make up a club. Every once in while I will see where someone has come out to do some shooting and leave a visible mess. We are completely surrounded by the National Forest on old ‘Land-Grant’ property. We live off of a Forest Service Road three miles in to the forest. We have to make sure that all of the windows are closed every night because of all the friendly bears that want to come in. My wife is a good cook and the bears know it. Every once in a while a bear will stick their nose up to an open kitchen window. I have often thought of just frying a pan of bacon outside to see what kind of action I’d get but then I don’t know just how long they might hang around.

Here is a guy that look like he wants to be friendly, but...I just don't know if he got up on the wrong side of the bed or not.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#5 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:14 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
This was my Buddy - he would come when I called him....when he was nearby and could hear me.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”