Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

IN PASSING & FWTW

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

IN PASSING & FWTW

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri May 11, 2018 5:24 pm

METAL HARDNESS TESTING - -
Scan.BMP.jpg

Some times one may wish to know the hardness of a piece of metal, be it BHN (Brinell Hardness Number) or HRC (Rrockwell C), or any specific scale, and they don’t have access to a testing device. One can be made easily for as low as just some scrap and in the case of HRC, a 10 dollar Chinese Diamond Indenter. I see them advertised for in the 10 to 40 dollar range. The design that I have pictured can give one a ‘relative’ reading, i.e., above or below a given ‘standard’. The standard being a sample of known hardness...the more standards one has the closer they may get to the hardness of their unknown.

There are no given dimensions to this – they can be any size – out of wood or steel. And the economical Chinese Diamond Indenters are not of the ‘Certified’ type. But usually for one’s personal use this should suffice. The idea being hang a weight on the top beam and measure the size of the diameter of the indentation in the unknown as compared to the size of the indentation in a piece of metal of ‘known hardness’. Use a magnifier to view the indentation.

The proper HRC testing device measures the depth of the indentation but for simple purposes the diameter will give the same working measurement. Measuring the depth would be more involved for me. A timing device such as a second hand on a clock is required.

The other half of this tester involves having the samples of known hardness. These can be bought but are relative expensive – can be in the neighborhood of 50 or 60 dollars each. So I would suggest make one’s own ‘Standards’. I will give one way of making these standards in an added posting.

I have made three of the Direct read-out BHN testers and they have all worked fine for me.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: IN PASSING & FWTW

#2 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri May 11, 2018 5:35 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HRC-3-Metal-St ... SwKQpayXCW

Here is just one Diamond HRC Indenter---ones made in the US can be 200 $.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

ffuries
United States of America

#3 Post by ffuries » Fri May 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Amazing how simple the design is, and it's nothing more than basic mechanics. I think we learned stuff like this in 5th or 6th grade science when I was a kid.

Never thought of it being that damn simple, thanks I learned something today!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri May 11, 2018 11:29 pm

DSC_0043.JPG
Brinell Hardness Number Tester -

Here is one that I made years ago. I made it to read-out directly the hardness of lead alloy. The blocks that I have made are to adjust the sample to be tested to the same height as the pivot point of the top beam.

I have made a much simpler one but I can’t find it right now. Although this one I think is pretty simple to use. On the scale the lowest number is ‘5’, the hardness of pure lead and above that is the reading of the sample in increments of BHN harder than that.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#5 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri May 11, 2018 11:59 pm

DSC_0044.JPG
A retake without all of the back-ground clutter.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#6 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat May 12, 2018 11:30 am

https://www.bing.com/search?q=brinell+s ... =QBRE&sp=1

A common hardness scale for ferrous materials is the HRC scale (Rockwell C scale). And I can see where these testers can run from say 500 $ for the Chinese versions upwards toward 100,000 $ for the more sophisticated and precision better ones. These are for the commercial use or for the ones that just want to have a way of testing their own products such as knife makers. I could make one like this but it would involve a lot of trial and error...more than I would care to bother with at this time. Besides, the design that I have pictured will do exactly this for as I say the cost of the Diamond Indenter. The commercial ones use the same principles that I used but just in a more presentable package. Most would not want to pay too much for something built on a piece of 2 X 4. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 89443.html
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#7 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm

DSC_0053-001.JPG
Here is my diamond indenter – made in China, 12.96 delivered. I have not seen a US made one for less than 200 – do I need a 200 $ indenter – heck no. With this and a piece of 2 x 6, I will make a Rockwell C Hardness Tester.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#8 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri May 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Here is another way that can be used to test steel, or any metal for (RELATIVE) hardness. Make an indentation in two specimens and compare the sizes of the two indentations with a magnaviewer . For the harder metals it may be necessary to removed and replaced the spring with a stronger one. Or it may be possible just to stretch the same one. And for the harder metals it will usually be required to keep the point sharp with a sharpening stone or fine diamond file...or whatever you may have. Little testing standards can be made to test for ‘harder than or softer than’.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=au ... &FORM=IGRE
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#9 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri May 25, 2018 9:45 pm

DSC_0055.JPG
These pliers can be used as bullet pullers – works great...I THINK, no mess like with the inertia type and not as expensive as the collet type...just poke up through the press and grab. The same size should be the size for crimping gas-checks as well. I found out that if the hole or holes are drilled with the pliers closed as normal, and then cut the front ends off like pictured, this works out about right to fit the bullet snug.

These Long Nose can be anywhere from 10 to 50 dollars, for good ones, but one should not need the good ones. But don’t despair...they can be had at a big-box store for 1.50 $ – maybe – or the dollar stores. And one should be able to get two sizes in each pair – I do.

Okay, the steel in these should be fairly soft and easy to drill...but the regular slip-jaw pliers I find are forged and very hard...but these can be heated to anneal and there-by easy to drill....I found that out. I would think these to be more economical if one doesn’t have extra long nose – what-ever. I have made various bullet pullers of the years, but I think that these are the best so far that I have made.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#10 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat May 26, 2018 6:09 pm

OLDGUNNER wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:03 pm
Here is another way that can be used to test steel, or any metal for (RELATIVE) hardness.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=au ... &FORM=IGRE
AGAIN – FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH -

I just checked this one and it makes almost a 1/16 diameter hole in a wheel weight. So I won’t mess with this one and just use it for lead alloys. I’ll put a stronger spring in another for steel.
DSC_0057.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”