Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Low serial numbers, do they add value?

crankshaft45
United States of America

Low serial numbers, do they add value?

#1 Post by crankshaft45 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Was just wondering if a low serial number on a carbine has any effect on value. Back about 40 years ago the wife drug me to a garage sale. There on the wall was a USGI carbine. Always wanted one, so I looked it over. It was in excellent shape, Underwood mfg. The price was a little high for me at that time, but I scraped together the $125.00 asking price. It included several magazines and a little ammo. Showed it to a buddy who was into military firearms and he got excited about the condition saying it was not a shooter, it was a wall hanger! He also said that (at that time) a good carbine was going for $300 to $400. In doing a little research, found it to be a RIA re-conditioned. Of course it is a mix master of parts. Trigger housing S G, re barreled with a 10/44 Underwood. In looking up the serial number, 13500xx found the receiver to be one of the first 100 made by Underwood.

indy1919a4
United States of America

Re: Low serial numbers, do they add value?

#2 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Deep down Collectors are kind of nuts, different things effect people differently.. I think you need to find that underwood collector that this would excite..

To me low numbers work if they are like number 1 - 10.. But as Charles Bronson once said...every man has his jelley spot.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by RWS » Wed May 09, 2018 9:15 am

Just my opinion but I think the RIA refurb, re-barrelling, and mixed parts detract value more than the low S/N adds, not to mention that Underwood is probably second only to Inland in terms of low desirability among collectors due to sheer numbers produced. It does make 'em cheaper to buy though. If it was a Winchester or Rockola it might be different, but you have a specimen you can take to the range and shoot all day without fear of losing value.

M1 Carbine Production
Inland Manufacturing Division, G.M.C...... 2,632,097 43.0%
Winchester Repeating Arms Co................ 828,059 13.5%
Underwood-Elliot-Fisher Co.................. 545,616 8.9%
Saginaw Steering Gear Div., G.M.C........... 517,212 8.5%
National Postal Meter Co.................... 413,017 6.8%
Quality Hardware & Machine Co............... 359,666 5.9%
International Business Machines Corp (IBM).. 346,500 5.7%
Standard Products Co........................ 247,160 4.0%
Rock-Ola Co................................. 228,500 3.7%
---------
Total: 6,221,220

-Bob

indy1919a4
United States of America

#4 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:48 pm

RWS wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:15 am
but you have a specimen you can take to the range and shoot all day without fear of losing value.

-Bob
I really appreciate those production numbers.. I do love how many millions of Carbines were made, yet after the war there always seemed reasons to make more
either from surplus parts to even new parts...

But a serious question... should not all modern weapons, be able to take to the range and shoot with out fear of losing value.. Now of course there are some exceptions.. Firearms purchased as new never issued or never shot..and of course you could drop the weapon and mark it up.. But even if you have a rare rifle
I would like to think it is the exception that you would or should worry about shooting???

I think the original 45 cal luger would fall in that category considering there are no spare parts..

crankshaft45
United States of America

#5 Post by crankshaft45 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:35 am

Even with the low serial number and still excellent condition of the rifle, it is not a safe queen. It gets shot and I just picked up a companion piece, A Ruger New Blackhawk cal. .30 carbine. If it ever gets sold it will be when my family settles my estate, and I don't see that happening.

indy1919a4
United States of America

#6 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:19 am

crankshaft45 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:35 am
Even with the low serial number and still excellent condition of the rifle, it is not a safe queen. It gets shot and I just picked up a companion piece, A Ruger New Blackhawk cal. .30 carbine. If it ever gets sold it will be when my family settles my estate, and I don't see that happening.
God, I have always wanted to shoot a 30 cal carbine pistol.. I disremember when those things where all over the gun magazine covers...So much surplus 30 cal ammo and no one shooting it, it was a magnet to gun manufacturers to make 30 cal pistols..

And hey there is nothing wrong with Safe Queens.. All guns go through states of celibacy between firings..

crankshaft45
United States of America

#7 Post by crankshaft45 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm

I really like the Blackhawk. Once I ordered of some what was pictured as 110gr round nose, but came as 110gr spire point hollow point. Useless for the carbine, but I reduced the load a bit and loaded the O.A.L. to the end of the cylinder of the Blackhawk. They shoot great. One thing about the Blackhawk , if you are shooting regular carbine ammo or my special reloads in it, they are loud!

indy1919a4
United States of America

#8 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Very cool,,, thanks for sharing.. You would not have a handgun in 45-70??? ha ha My other guilty handgun pleasure

Tuna
United States of America

#9 Post by Tuna » Wed May 16, 2018 4:10 pm

If a low serial number carbine has not been rebuilt then yes the low number will add value to it. But if it has been rebuilt then the value is the same as any other rebuilt carbine.

Return to “M1 Carbine”