Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

OFF TOPIC TRIVIA - HUH?

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

OFF TOPIC TRIVIA - HUH?

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:27 pm

This could be thee most important ‘Off topic’ message one could ever have read – I spent over two years while in the Air Force stationed at St. Johns, Newfoundland, 53-55. I say ‘Could be’ because this could be only if one could visit the place and understand why I may say this. Canadians will have heard this but if they had visited Newfoundland they would have very well not chose to move here to the states. Because...I think as well as many that, Newfoundland is possible and probable the most pleasant place on earth to live. Now that is saying a lot, but I have a stack of Passports as proof of some travel. The people are, as could be said, “Are hard-wired, to be so nice and the rest of the world could not believe if they have not been there.” I can say that I do not recall an anger word spoken there while I lived there. I am sure there were, but I just don’t recall any – a pretty profound statement to make for sure, but I will make it.
After I retired, my wife and I drove there, well a ferry from Nova Scotia, but they wanted a minimum of 40 thousand to immigrate there, depending on one’s age. This was because of their free medical and health care policies. We would have not paid ‘our share of taxes’ so we would have had to pay to make up for this. I just read that they have eliminated this policy because they were not getting the immigration that they felt necessary...and now it is just a few hundred, but the present Canadians are complaining that they are having to pay for this medical care for the immigrants – I can see where this is correct but, as it has been said, ‘Life isn’t fair.” But here I am 84 so I wish not to just up and move there. But if I were 64, I would be a happy Newfy, because it is just so super nice to live there. It is that the people are just so warm and friendly. In the videos below it tells about the Sept 11th and planes landing at Gander Air Port and the people did not just think of the wind-fall of the business that they could have had – not one bit, they opened their business doors and said, “Come on in take what you may need.” That is the way the Newfoundlanders think. Where else in the world would that have been done? Now If one would think about it, and realize that with everyone there thinking this way, how could this not be a super nice place to live. I know, I lived there. I am sure that all Canadians have heard this, they all can’t move there.
But this does not go for the Labrador connection...I have been there too but it was for an Arctic Survival School before going on to Baffin Island and I saw 15 feet of snow with little tunnels in the snow to get from a roadway to a building....looking like not the most safest thing to walk in.

Now don’t somebody just jump in here and say that I am some kind of political activist. Hey, look at that last video first – it will set the theme for the rest.

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/abo ... nd-culture

http://soundsfromtheedge.fm/

http://d3b9ncnrpp3k50.cloudfront.net/co ... _johns.jpg

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ne ... ORM=HDRSC3 And click on Videos – a bunch of short videos.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=%2 ... ORM=VDQVAP

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Ne ... ORM=VRDGAR With doing the Newfy Stomp. I find that I have to click twice on this link when opening to get music in synch. I remember my first Newfy Stomp with a girl taking me – I had so much fun that I could hardly stand it, after the Screech, the national drink.
Last edited by OLDGUNNER on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

Re: OFF TOPIC TRIVIA - HUH?

#2 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:55 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ivR2J8jj3E

THE GREATEST---Of course this is easy to say...but as I said, there are others out there that say the same thing. But wouldn’t it be something if this was really true? And of course you will not believe me...this is just your loss...what can I say. One has to admit, ‘The greatest place on earth’ has to mean something.

In the spring of 53 I asked for and was transferred to Pepperrell AFB, in Newfoundland on the shores of Quidi Vidi.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpwdyjYLfdA

Okay, just one more, if you may like a nice video...like the last words...”I say if some wise men knew what this were, I do believe...”
I do believe that this still holds true.

I know – way off topic, but it is nice trivia. It is after dark and you can’t do much shooting anyway.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:00 am

DSC_0030.JPG
I DON’T KNOW....
If the powers to be meant that the ‘FUN AND TRIVIA’ section was to mean an open ‘FUN AND TRIVIA’ category, OR... just ‘FUN AND TRIVIA’ about ‘SURPLUS RIFLES’. It’s their railroad.

Let me tell a Foxy story...a few weeks ago a nice looking Red Fox came around. I talked nice to it...it would listen but wouldn’t come closer than say 50 feet – it was very leery, as it should be. And for the next few days it would come back once a day just to say HI. My wife didn’t like this because she said it was just after her cat - maybe so. So she waved her arms and hollered and chased it away. Well, the fox felt unwelcome and didn’t come back. Until just this morning...it came back and I went out to talk to it and then came in to grab the camera. It must have thought I was being unfriendly because it walked off. I just got this picture.

Polock
United States of America

#5 Post by Polock » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:13 pm

I have no doubt that your experiences are true--However---Canada has draconian gunlaws--no 2nd amendment, etc.
While I miss the south, I will be buried here in Arizona; God's country for gun owners, shooters and hunters.
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#6 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:57 pm

Well, about the draconian part – for me, not so much. And I moved from California to Phoenix in 1964 and I didn’t notice any great difference but that has sure changed...and yes Arizona does have a minimum of gun laws. I am wondering if you may be inter mixing Arizona gun laws and US federal gun laws. The big 1968 changes to the federal gun laws were mainly in the interstate transportation of firearms mainly brought about by the knee-jerk reaction after Oswald buying an Italian Carcano from Klein’s Gun Store in Chicago. Yes, the ATF did institute some new regulations and they may have disrupted you there in Arizona.
I would say a couple of the biggest apparent gun laws in Arizona are the ‘Open Carry’ and the ‘Concealed Carry’ with minimum restrictions. When I lived there they wouldn’t even typically issue a concealed carry permit. I realize that now they are issued, if one wishes as ‘Must Issue’, for those that wish to carry concealed in reciprocity states. They were not required and still not.
When I first moved here to Colorado it was up to the County Sheriff to issue or not a concealed permit. Since then Colorado has become a ‘Must Issue’ state. I don’t know the number of concealed permits here now but one must assume that anyone might have one...and in Denver alone there are probable averaging two or three homicides per day. The TV stations don’t even bother to mention the ones across the state.

But to the Canadian gun laws – The ‘OLD’ Canada was very liberal. Guns were more common place than a House Dog. And then after ‘some’, US ‘states’ became more restrictive they felt pressured by the US to be more ‘restrictive’ but different, yes. They wanted it to be known that their Canada was a safe place to visit. They didn’t have to do that because Canada was adequately safe already – I think.

We have our federal guns laws and our state gun laws, and in Canada they have each as well. Only they have provincial gun laws. But as we have few Federal laws they have few Federal laws. Just like here most are Provincial gun laws. As far as I can see, these can be summed up very easy. We have our restrictive regulations such as a special permit for automatic firearms and sound suppressors and not being able to ship some firearms through the mail. With them, they are mainly ‘Prohibited’, ‘Restrictive’ and I forget a third category. Okay, you may call their ‘Prohibitive’ regulations draconian. The main ones being Automatic firearms, Sound suppressors, AR-15 type, Bull–Pup, and short barreled hand guns, and what may be called a big one, registration. Prohibitive being one can’t even get a permit for, they are ‘outlawed’ completely --- normally.

But a big thing in Canada, the people are realizing that their government over reacted and are now over-turning a lot of the Provincial gun laws that were just going along with the federal regulations.

I took an over-seas job in 1966 and didn’t come back until I retired in 1994...we bought an RV Motor Home and toured for a year just to look over what I had missed and find a place to retire. I had pretty well covered Canada but had never been to Alaska. When I went into Canada I declared the Model 94, 30-30 and had no problem and while we were in Alaska we would go in and out of Canada with no problems. I guess you may have had problems with Canada and firearms.

As you may know it is common for most states to have the ‘Open carry’ laws but it is common for most cities to have Ordnances against this. I didn’t know until just recently that Denver has no Ordinances against Open Carry. Some cities here have Ordinances against carrying a handgun tucked in their belt or just carrying in hand. In other words must be in a holster.

But the part about Newfoundland...Newfoundland does not in the most part resemble the rest of Canada. I think it was the second night there late at night, that I noticed a grocery store with a small light on and the door ajar next door to where this girl lived. She said that they never lock the door...they leave it open in case someone needs something when they are not there, and one can just go in get it and write on a pad and pay later. This just ‘has to tell’ just what it is like in Newfoundland. And crime was just not heard of. The ‘only one’ that I really remember in two and half years, I committed – I was doing 35 in a 25 zone....very true. Not even running a stop light - In a town of 75,000 not one traffic stop light. Now they do have lots a cars and traffic lights.

But people don’t know what they don’t know.....and, ‘You pays your money and takes your choice,”

https://www.denverpost.com/2012/12/13/n ... kyrockets/ Can one imagine what it would be like if New York City was like Arizona?
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#7 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 am

http://www.insideprison.com/newfoundlan ... prison.asp

With a population of 520,462 of both Labrador and Newfoundland,with 92 % of that for Newfoundland only...and with 147 inmates. Yes I see where some have been shipped off to the mainland, but for less than a two year sentence, here they are.

This is about the population of New Orleans or Denver. And look at some Maricopa County Arizona specs. Does this say something or not?
4 jails in Maricopa County with total of 9001 beds and over crowded...with one main jail, 4th Ave jail, processing 7,400 – 8,800 per month.

This should give one an idea of what I meant about the crime rate of Newfoundland. I have lived in both places...mmmm...would I trade off my right to own an automatic firearm to live where locked doors were just not thought of – I never locked my car. And...I lived for over two years and never behind a locked door. I know, I know, one can have an automatic firearm here in the US, but I personally have never had any great desire to own one. But I did own two in Vietnam, an M3 .45 and an M2 .30 cal Carbine. Draconian???? I have to say that I just never thought of it that way.

The root of the word ‘Draconian’.....http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~emiller/vlad.html

And don’t someone call this political activism –
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”