Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Fitting a new Garand stock

Stormrider51
United States of America

Fitting a new Garand stock

#1 Post by Stormrider51 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:20 pm

I received an M1 Garand from the CMP yesterday. I had ordered a "Service Grade" and was very happy with the rifle I received. It's a H&R with a 1954 SA barrel. It's stocked with new CMP wood. Bore looks good. I decided to field strip it and lube the appropriate spots. That's when the trouble started. I nearly gave myself a hernia trying to get the trigger guard to release. I've done this many times before with other M1's using finger pressure only. This time I had to resort to putting a rod inside the guard and pulling with both hands. Once it released I had to pull hard to fully open the guard to remove the trigger group. Next came removing the action from the stock. That thing was in there TIGHT! I held the rear sights in one hand with the rifle upside down and slapped upward on the comb of the stock with the other hand. It took repeated slaps and I now have a bruised palm. Okay, it was clear that the stock needed some fitting. I took a sanding block to the inside of the stock where rub marks revealed the tight places. The action will now go back into the stock with only moderate coaxing. The trigger group goes into place easily as well. But the trigger guard will not close to lock everything together. It goes so far but fails to lock completely closed. Remember that it took a lot of force to get it to open. My thinking is that I need to inlet the trigger group a little deeper. The only thing that worries me is that an armorer at CMP managed to get the thing assembled in the first place. Is there something I'm missing? Do you have any suggestions?
Regards,
John

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

Re: Fitting a new Garand stock

#2 Post by Ghoulardi » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:54 am

go on YOUTUBE there are tutorials on fitting new commercial stocks on a M1
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Stormrider51
United States of America

Re: Fitting a new Garand stock

#3 Post by Stormrider51 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:27 pm