Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Any Friends In Germany?

A place to Trade, Swap brass and components for reloading
Praetorian
United States of America

Any Friends In Germany?

#1 Post by Praetorian » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:38 pm

I've been searching for brass for two hard to find calibers and am having no luck in the States. Starline, QC, etc, all list them but do not regularly stock them. The only manufacturer I can find that seems to produce both calibers is Horneber in Germany. I've enquired both with Horneber and their retailer about having some sent over but have gotten no response of any kind. I can only assume there is a translation problem of some kind (I sent my messages in German via Google Translate). Are there any members here in Germany or the greater EU who would be willing to help me out? I need someone who can order the cases from Horneber's retailer and then reship them here to me in the US. If any generous board member can do this please let me know and we'll discuss exactly what I need and how arrange full prepayment.
Thanks in advance.

vandle
Australia

Re: Any Friends In Germany?

#2 Post by vandle » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:49 am

What calibres are you after just out of curiosity?
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

polaris
United States of America

#3 Post by polaris » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:14 pm

I do have friends who are Swiss Nationals and well versed in getting such things into the country through proper channels. Also curious which calibers.

Praetorian
United States of America

#4 Post by Praetorian » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking for .318 Westley Richards and 6.5X53R Dutch. I had a line on the .318 from a retailer in Australia but passed on it for another source that then didn't pan out. It's been quite a chase. Horneber seems to be the way to go if I can find a way to have them shipped over.

Polaris, would you be willing to enquire with your Swiss connection on my behalf?

Stef242
Belgium

#5 Post by Stef242 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:51 am

I live in Belgium but out of experience I know not every german seller is willing to send ammunition components to other EU-countries, let alone the US.
Second problem in Belgium is that it is forbidden for belgian civilians to ship ammunition components; it's only allowed if you're a company. Last couple of years belgian state does a lot more monitoring of shipped parcels: I personally know someone who had a lot of trouble after sending a bunch of fired brass......tricky stuff especially if you own any guns around here.......every reason is good for withdrawing your gun license :(

Woody_be
Belgium

#6 Post by Woody_be » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:00 am

Haha i send him the exact same message but privately stef .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Stef242
Belgium

#7 Post by Stef242 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:03 am

:-) , allright!

Praetorian
United States of America

#8 Post by Praetorian » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:41 am

Well that's a little disheartening. I'm certainly not looking to ask anyone to do anything that could get them in trouble. My hope is that small quantities for personal use would be exempt from import/export regulations (or at least fly under the radar). I'm sure it varies from country to country though. Thanks for the info and I'll put my hopes with Polaris's Swiss friends. Anybody with other countries/ideas please chime in.

slowbob2
United States of America

#9 Post by slowbob2 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Are you looking to make ammo for shooting , or you just want 6.5 mm Dutch head stamped cases ?

Praetorian
United States of America

#10 Post by Praetorian » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:35 pm

Both really. I'm looking to load shootin ammo but want to avoid forming cases if I can. I guess that would be a last resort but I'm not quite there yet.

polaris
United States of America

#11 Post by polaris » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Found the .318 in AU. It ain't cheap, but neither would be acquiring it and shipping from Switzerland if that is even possible. http://www.northernshooterssupplies.com ... 318wrb.htm

They also have the 6.5 Dutch http://www.northernshooterssupplies.com ... /6553b.htm

My Swiss friend said exporting ammunition or components outside of official Swiss Club use is "problematic." He didn't want to touch it.

It does sound like both of these cartridges are relatively easy to form from common brass. .303 Brit and .30-06, .338-06 or .35 Whelen. That might be a better option, especially if you plan to continue shooting them going forward. They are not going to get any less obsolete.

RE 6.5 Dutch...I do have access to 6.5 MS dies and some fired .303 brass, as well as the .308 die necessary for the first step. I may attempt an experiment and see how they spec out if I'm bored enough, but no guarantees. Once serious spring weather hits, I'm pretty busy with my day job.

Praetorian
United States of America

#12 Post by Praetorian » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:56 am

Thanks all for the info and suggestions but it sounds like getting brass from the continent is not a viable option. I'm glad I explored the idea but I think I'll shelf these projects and wait for one of the US manufactures to do a run of each of them. I may experiment with forming shells someday but that's a little more involved that I want to get right now. I've got plenty of other rabbit holes to go down. Thanks in particular to Polaris for reaching out to his Swiss friend.

Return to “Brass and Component Trader”