Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Mosin values

1891, 91/30, M38, M44, 91/59, P-series, M27, M28, M28-30 and M39
CRomanos
United States of America

Mosin values

#1 Post by CRomanos » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:04 am

A friend of a friend is looking for a 91/30, and about the only member of my collection I'm willing too part with is a 1943 ex-sniper (matching except for a force-matched magazine plate).

From what I'm seeing, these seem to be going for about $250 these days - is that correct/ high/low?

I have another ex- sniper that's 100% matching, so this is surplus for me.

DaleH
United States of America

Re: Mosin values

#2 Post by DaleH » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:35 am

Seems low to me, as here in the Northeast I see nice, but otherwise average, 91/30s at $275 to $315 based on 3 shops I’ve visited recently.

CRomanos
United States of America

#3 Post by CRomanos » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Good to know. The 250 was on GB, and they usually run high, so I didn't entirely trust it.

CRomanos
United States of America

#4 Post by CRomanos » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Actually, on second look some went as high as 399 on GB, so I may be really low at 250

DaleH
United States of America

#5 Post by DaleH » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:55 am

If using G-Broker as a gauge ... I’d only count SOLD items.

CRomanos
United States of America

#6 Post by CRomanos » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:51 pm

I am, believe me. I know they tend to run high

polaris
United States of America

#7 Post by polaris » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 pm

CRomanos wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:27 pm
Actually, on second look some went as high as 399 on GB, so I may be really low at 250
Depends on how good of a friend he is. Sometimes it's good to give a guy a break on a first rifle. Favors tend to come back around.

CRomanos
United States of America

#8 Post by CRomanos » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:57 pm

And I will, just need to know what at the starting point is so I know what constitutes a break

dynachrome
United States of America

#9 Post by dynachrome » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 pm

$250 is a decent price for an ex-sniper in my opinion. I see common beaters going for $275 and I rejected a dog of a 1943 izzy 91/30 that someone had painted gray. $300?????
"When an empire dies, you are left with large monuments in front of which illiterate peasants squat to defecate"

72 usmc
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#10 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:14 pm

An ex sniper (decommissioned sniper) with matching Russian prefix serial numbers, Tula markings with Tula bands, and Tula marked bolt that is a non bent 91/30 bolt -just the normal short one. It should have a sling and tool kit with a Tula marked bayonet- not matching , although a matching number bayonet just ups the price. Does the stock have a wood repair where the scope formally sat- is it a real sniper stock? Add the attribute of the import mark is located on the barrel and not the receiver and a stock that is uniform in color and non flaking -in other words a nice exsniper rearsenal 91/30. You will see high prices; it will be going around $350- 450. Add a bent, original matching bolt and you can add $100+. Add a MO or double date MO, or other odd mark- then add another $100. If you find such a jewel for $250 grab it. If I see an Izzy, I would not even want it. Price is regional specific and determined by certain attributes.

Now a normal Tula ex sniper 91/30 with matching serial numbers- but no Russian prefix, short rearsenal bolt-mixed bolt parts and bands Izzy & Tula, no sling or tool kit and an unmarked odd ball bayonet. The rifle is in a regular 91/30 stock- no wood repair at the scope cut out on the left side. Again a pre 2005 with the import mark on the barrel and a fair stock that has some flaking. Say $250-300.

Now I have seen total Tula dogs, rearsenal exsnipers (decommissioned snipers) with stiff bolts and triggers, the rifle will have a miss matched bolt. The other parts generally exhibit line outs and missmatched numbers and/or mixed parts- both Izzy and some Tula on a flaking normal 91/30 stock. No sling or cleaning rod. Maybe a bayonet, and these have been marked $150-175. Izzy rearsenal ex snipers are always in less demand. Most want that nice Tula sniper mark. I hate line outs , non matching bolts, and Izzy marker"s marks.

I have seen common non sniper, 91/30 Tula or Izzy round receiver matching Mosins, but they are lacking the Russian prefix and they have a stinking huge, post 2005, billboard import mark on the received;these are generally now marked $200 :doh: Back in the day I would not have paid even $79 for such a marked rifle.
So prices be crazy :snooty: , most of us got Mosins at $49-100 by the crate full and /or collected them by type & country or arsenal maker by the year. I favored M44s and had collected 91/30 Tulas by the year. So it is kind of crazy for us old guys to even consider paying $200 for a Mosin.

And if you like 91/30 hex receivers or M91 Mosins best have a thick wallet.

So consider the important factors in price:
matching bolt and a non counter bored barrel
Tula vs Izzy No hex PU snipers they came out 1942, maybe a redone Finn is possible SA marked?
Hex vs Round receiver
Import mark location & size of the import mark
mix of parts manufacturer Tula & Izzy parts on same rifle Russian prefix in the matching serial number
The goodies -cleaning rod, sling, tool kit bayonet
Older brownish or leather sling or a green sling
bayonet serial number matches, real rare
Stock condition and does it have the wood repair by the scope mount is it a real sniper stock?
Flaking stock
short normal decommissioned 91/30 bolt or an original bent bolt
Are all the bolt parts Tula or Izzy and not a mix
Is the bolt operation smooth, likewise the trigger
Stock cartouches still present
no line outs or restamps
bayonet maker's mark present and matches the rifle

Now if it is a kid getting into surplus and you get what you paid , then trade it off to promote collecting
If its a rich guy or he has a good job, sock it to him or at least get far market value depending on the rifles attributes
I got mine marked with peoples names so if the next stroke takes me out, my treasures go to people free that always liked them- mostly my Menominee friends.
As I sell off stuff, I generally trade for books or car repairs. Sometimes it is just better to give stuff or sell at a loss to local kids or relatives to promote historical interest in surplus firearms or target shooting. You can not take it with you.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

CRomanos
United States of America

#11 Post by CRomanos » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:50 am

I offered it up for 300, it's not counterbored, matching straight bolt, force-matched mag floor plate, repaired stock where the scope was originally located, and I'm throwing in 100 rounds of surplus ammo.

I have another ex sniper that's all matching, without the stock repair, both are Izzys, no MO or any other special markings and I'm more than doubling my initial investment. I might have been able to get more but it's someone be who wants to get into Mosins so I'm willing to help encourage his habit.

Plus, it gets me $300 closer to a Garand!

One thing I never understood about the ex snipers is why they didn't leave the original matching bent bolt - why go back to straight?

polaris
United States of America

#12 Post by polaris » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 pm

It's my understanding that sometime after WWII, these rifles were disassembled into parts, then the parts repaired and refinished to spec, and re-assembled, often with ground and re-stamped matching serial numbers in a nightmarish experiment to forever frustrate American collectors sometime in the future. Your sniper bolts likely ended up on another sniper rifle, or a scrap metal pile, or God knows what.

steamer
United States of America

#13 Post by steamer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:55 am

@OP If you and your "friend of a friend" didn't close the deal - they have some at SOG that might be worth considering: http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns/c-r-longguns

echo1
United States of America

#14 Post by echo1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:20 am

That about sets the base for Cincinnati. They are creeping up these days. I've got a couple mismatched M44s I just listed in a local forum for a FTF, with a close to "I don't really want to sell" prices, to feel out the market. PAX

CRomanos
United States of America

#15 Post by CRomanos » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:52 am

polaris wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 pm
It's my understanding that sometime after WWII, these rifles were disassembled into parts, then the parts repaired and refinished to spec, and re-assembled, often with ground and re-stamped matching serial numbers in a nightmarish experiment to forever frustrate American collectors sometime in the future. Your sniper bolts likely ended up on another sniper rifle, or a scrap metal pile, or God knows what.
All be part of Putin's master plan...

Return to “Russian and Finnish Rifles”