Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Gun Shows: When Did Our World Go Nuts?

Forum for rifles not listed
HectorFuego
United States of America

Re: Gun Shows: When Did Our World Go Nuts?

#31 Post by HectorFuego » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:24 am

Back in about 2005 AIM Surplus was selling Swiss K-31's for $59.95 delivered to your door. I had just gotten my C&R license and bought one. I put a clamp on scope mount on it and an old 10X scope and shot the best group of my life. At today's prices for K-31's, I kick myself for not buying at least 10 at that price. Could have made a small fortune.

Ah the good old days.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

viking
United States of America

#32 Post by viking » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:06 pm

Saw a sporter for 220 at last gun show i went to.

bobvz
United States of America

#33 Post by bobvz » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:57 pm

The issue as I see it is that there are a number of young folks who are making big 6 figure salaries and a large number of older highly paid execs that are retiring. Some of these folks are being enthralled with milsurps. In no small part due to sites like this that promote shooting and collecting. Spending 4 figures on a rifle is no big deal for them. In one sense it is good that younger collectors are coming into the fold. In another it is jacking prices out of sight. Many of us are retired or near it. We know that the importers paid less than $20 ea. for most of these rifles and we are on fixed incomes. It is maddening that prices are where they are at. In retrospect, if I had taken my 401K in 1990 and bought milsurps I would be living on a private island in the Caribbean now.

Dannyboy53
United States of America

#34 Post by Dannyboy53 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:20 am

Guns shows used to be great fun and had good bargains...not anymore. We quit going to several shows in our AO because they just got stupid with the prices. Actually, we are the reason for it...we pay the inflated prices they demand. I go to one of the local ones to get specific items such as parts, accessories or ammo and nothing else. I have bought Garands for a little less than a C note and an '03-A3 for $120 in years past but those days are long gone!
"If the general government should persist in the measures now threatened, there must be war."
General Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson

indy1919a4
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#35 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:37 am

Dannyboy53, as one moving to Fl, what gun shows are you talking about.. which is better & worst.?????

I am assuming you are wanting your gun shows to have older stuff??? I am not super interested in newer guns and the like..

Have been to the Central Florida gun show a few times..Mostly new guns, a few old..
Have been a few of the Lakeland shows,, Nothing but old, some high prices, but some deals

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#36 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:03 pm

I thought the same thing-mostly poor examples at crazy high prices for common surplus junk, but, and this is a big but, every once in a while you hit the jack pot. This is because it's an estate collection of a former member that died and a family member or fellow friend/club member is selling off the old 1950s collection. I went to this show that I never see anything at fair value or of any interest. Well, I walked in and almost fell over. At the first row there was a table. The entire rack was filled with $300 or $500 surplus rifles- those goofy 8x50 R manlichers, Hamburg 1917 mannicher and two other odd-ball mannlichers with wood covering the lower magazine -some Dutch junk, Mausers mostly at $500, a bring back DOT with a mismatched bolt, a King Leapold Belgium 1935 short rifle in some odd caliber 7.65???. Other mausers I did not look at due to odd calibers- Argentine and ??. Two French rifles-- a 5 shot Berthier and a Berthier carbine in Mas 7.5. Two Mosins, the one I liked was a WZ 48 Polish trainer, 3-4 arisakas and the 1924 Yugo mausers, then the normal US carbines at $700. The cool thing was none of the rifles had import marks, All but two had original stocks with untouched finish. All rifles matched, except the K98 that matched itself, but the bolt was a different # and some had slings. So this old guy died that had all pre 1968 rifles in damn near excellent bring back condition. I grabbed the Long rifle Berthier model 07/15, and the 1892 carbine converted to model 07/15/34 in Mas 7.5 and the Polish moist trainer WZ 48. I had to borrow cash from a friend at the show. All were $300 each for rifles all matching in original unrefinished stocks, no import marks- yep even the trainer had no import mark and had slings. I was way out of any money, and would have liked the 1924 Yugo and K98 mausers- neither had slings , but still all matching. I had no way to get any more cash, so I did not go back on Sunday too see what was left. So instead of getting rid of stuff due to may own health concerns; the firearms at this show were just too nice of specimens to pass up on. It has been almost 9 years since I every found anything of interest at that show, but I would go to shoot the bull with friends. So you never know when lady luck is going to smack you in the face at a gun show.

What was absent from the rack was any Enfields,black powder or US o3s or 1917s and M1s. A few 1870s German long rifles. Heck, on the German rifles even the screws and cleaning rods had matching numbers. I passed on a $500, 1907, matching Gew 98. Just too many rifle, and no more money. No bayonets or ammo for them??? The guy was into odd ball foreign stuff. And what he had was quality, matching stuff, with pristine bores and intact stocks, most with correct slings. Mostly purchased in the 1950-1960s.

Odd, there were not many lookers at the old surplus stuff. French firearms are always had to find at WI shows. I have not seen a Polish Trainer .22 Mosin in some 5 years back when they were $200. I might have over paid, but I liked that it was nice and no import marks. That French carbine was the first 07/15/34 I have seen in about 15 years at a WI show.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

indy1919a4
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#37 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:54 pm

you know 72usmc, Perseverance is many times 9/10s of collecting.. And Each show is different and a "bad" Show can easily chance by someone walking in with a cool item that you want. :)

I find one of the Weird things of gun shows is you may attend shows you never see a type of gun.. then boom next show there are 10 .. Like wise you you notice where have all there x's gone there use to be dozens..

Hey if you do not suit up and play you definitely will not win

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”