Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Something fishy in K98s

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: Something fishy in K98s

#31 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Classic rifle photo shot of import mark on the RC batch: Classic 2nd batch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eEwJK116GA
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 7.55.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 7.55.49 AM.png (98.29 KiB) Viewed 1015 times

That is an R-Guns import mark on that one batch. So if you have one of these check for a grind, buffed or a too smooth a mark/surface on the left side of the sight base if your rifle is lacking an import mark. Here is an example of a somewhat newer R -Guns K98 import mark.

a5e3ujut.jpg
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#32 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:36 pm

see my added comment about the " MITCHCLASSIC" a replica/facsimile K98 rifle. And a caution to the uninformed, you are not getting a bring back, rather you are getting a humped K98 that has been transformed into a fake replica K98 with no historical value or collector value remaining. They look more German then a Mitchell mauser, but most likely do not have as perfect a barrel as a "select" condition Mitchell mauser. For a shooter I'd want a Mitchell , for a reenactor's rifle I'd want a Mitchclassic, for a collector or shooter I'd want an intact RC with an almost new barrel, a Yugo capture with a replacement new Yugo barrel, or for the best value-- better yet an actual bring back, German, all matching except bolt K98k (too good to shoot). :mrgreen: For less expensive K98s see this overview: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1911

Quote added as edit 15 April 2018
adde by edit 15 Ap 2018
An observation: in 2016 Classic was selling actual unmodified RCs with the typical RC attributes.These had an R -Guns import mark on the left side under the rear sight base- this was a very small mark. Some time in 2017 the Mitchell like modified RC's,( that I will call the "Mitchclassics)," began to show up. These are actually better than a Mitchell Mauser because all the RC traits are removed. On a "Mitchclassic" :lol: , they( we do not know who) removed quite expertly some specific attributes that Mitchell left in place- mostly all RC traits are gone . This entailed not leaving an X that Mitchell turned into an asterisk, leaving the stock a nice dark color, removing the stock's RC stamped serial number, and removing the R-Guns tiny import- other than that they have restamped numbers that match and added fake cartouches like a Mitchell, but do not have that new look like a Mitchell Mauser K98k. They ( Mitchclassic's) are perfect for a reenactor that wants a Replica K98k. They no longer have to buy a Mitchell and age the stock, deal with the deeply stamped stock serial #, and polish off the Mitchell import mark on the barrel. Who ever rebuilds these K98s has hit the right market because Classic is selling them like hot cakes.
Prices are sky high, but I think reenactors love these new replica/facsimile K98ks " Mitchclassic" rifles. No one knows who is actually doing the rebuilding.
But the work is really good. It is difficult to tell from photos where the markings have been removed. The re blue over the work matches. No grind marks appear visible. And the stock cartouches are the same as the Polish FAKE reproduction eBay stamps. I would like to actually see one of these rifles in person for an inspection.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#33 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:07 am

Anyone have one of these to report on?
We need close ups of all sides of the barrel and the left base of the rear sight. Close up micro views of all the restamped numbers to get a good view of the font and stampings. Mainly depth, width, spacing, and font type.

noddaz
United States of America

#34 Post by noddaz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:14 pm

So the question is, who has a stash of Mauser rifles that can be cleaned up and passed as K98s? The rifles have to come from somewhere.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#35 Post by 72 usmc » Sat May 05, 2018 9:57 am

Maybe some old SAMCO stash? They had piles of all sorts of stuff.
http://www.stamplerauctions.com/auction ... -firearms/
Attachments
IMG_1134_large-1.jpg

Return to “German Rifles”