Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

New T94

Geokop
United States of America

New T94

#1 Post by Geokop » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi Everyone,
I picked up this all-matching T94 Nambu with one matching mag a couple of months ago. Also, it's holster is numbered to match the pistol, and it has the Japanese vet's name written inside the lid, "Makoto Tanabe."
I was able to add a correct, original lanyard, an original shoulder strap for the holster, a blued T94 cleaning rod, and an unopened, original box of 8mm Nambu ammo. All That is needed now is a second, spare nickel magazine.
This wasn't the only addition to my collection this past year, but it was the major one.
Happy belated New Year to everyone.
Attachments
DSCN3999.JPG
DSCN3998.JPG
DSCN3997.JPG
DSCN3996.JPG

indy1919a4
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: New T94

#2 Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:41 pm

Nice looking pistols and holster.. How does that pistol fit in your hand??

Geokop
United States of America

#3 Post by Geokop » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:44 am

Hi indy1919a4,
It's a small pistol, but it fits comfortably in my hand. If it were much smaller, though, it wouldn't. It's easy to quickly point and aim, though the sights aren't that great.
These pistols were popular with officers, airmen, tank crews, and anyone who worked in tight quarters. It definitely isn't a bulky rig.

indy1919a4
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by indy1919a4 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:56 am

I have always wanted to get in to the Japanese Pistols.. But always so many shiny things out there get in the way... Any Idea what year yours was made??

Geokop
United States of America

#5 Post by Geokop » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:30 am

It is 16.1 dated, January of 1941.

burban89
United States of America

#6 Post by burban89 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Nice find! I have one just like yours (one matching magazine with original holster) that one of my great uncles brought home from Burma but I have yet to find any ammo to test out how it functions.

revjen45
United States of America

#7 Post by revjen45 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:06 am

Right up there with the Gyrojet as one of the ugliest guns ever made, but what beautiful acquisition.

Geokop
United States of America

#8 Post by Geokop » Sun May 13, 2018 2:09 pm

burban89, I've been away from here for a while and just now saw your kind comment. A few months ago I found a second correct nickel mag. After an extensive search one became available, so the rig is complete. I'm glad you have one with a connection to your family, which makes it extra special. I hear ammo is expensive for these; I personally won't fire mine as it's all clean and intact, and I don't want to risk a broken firing pin or other mishap. I also have read these are a royal pain to disassemble, so I'm not going to mess with it. I don't know if the T94 jams as much as the T14, possibly due to modern under-powered ammo, the shape of the bullet (vintage Japanese ammo appears to have bullets that are more rounded on top than modern-day ones; I don't know if that affects feeding) or from the fact that bullets in the T14 were fed at a really odd angle from the magazine.

revjen45, I agree this isn't an attractive pistol; perhaps part of it's "charm" among those who collect them. There was an all-matching (with two matching mags.) 1944-dated T14, with it's rope lanyard and holster up for auction at the same time as this one, that had caught my eye first. Both were offered by the same broker, "Jack the Dog." The T94 was pursued instead because of it also having it's matching and named holster, in spite of the fact it's design wasn't as pretty, and because T94's just aren't as common, period. A good friend of mine sold me the lanyard, box of ammo, shoulder strap for the holster, and cleaning rod as a package deal to help complete this rig. As mention above, I've since found a second nickel T94 mag. to finish things off.

Return to “Japanese Pistols”