Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Cast Bullets in 6.5 Arisaka???

BigMau
United States of America

Cast Bullets in 6.5 Arisaka???

#1 Post by BigMau » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:03 am

Anyone cast and reload bullets in 6.5 Arisaka? I have a T-38 rifle with a MINT bore and would like to reload and get some more "range time" with this rifle.

BigMau
United States of America

Re: Cast Bullets in 6.5 Arisaka???

#2 Post by BigMau » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:56 am

No one here casts and reloads for 6.5 Arisaka?? How about 6.5 Carcano?? I'm thinking they could use the same cast bullet???

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:20 am

You need to allow us to answer your post.We have lives other than SRF 24 hours a day.
I load and shoot 6.5 Carcano,Dutch, Jap, Greek,Swede and Grendel with cast bullets.
The first thing you need to do is slug your bore. Do not think it is .264 until you do so. The variations of the Jap bores can go from .262 to .267 depending when and who made the rifle ( series types seem to very on bore sizes)
You want a long bodied bullet from 140 to 160 grains. Gas checked and lubed ( or Powder coated)
A decent load for either bullet is 9-12 grains of Unique depending on you bore size. There are many powders that will work,but my best results shot-to-shot was with Unique.
Remember you want to go two thousands larger than you bore size.
Many of the molds drop bullets .266.
With the 6.5 cartridges other than the Swede with it's larger case capacity, you can use their loads for cast bullets as they are so close together.
I seat to match a FMJ loading.
If you find that you do have the larger bore Jap, LEE can make you a bullet sizer where you can size down a .270 Winchester cast bullet to your Jap bore size.Several of the members do that.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

BigMau
United States of America

#4 Post by BigMau » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:55 pm

Rapidrob..

Thank you for the basic info. needed to get started casting and loading this rifle round. Sorry about above post... just trying to get info.

les1234
United States of America

#5 Post by les1234 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:20 pm

The only cast bullet I have for 6.5 is the Lee/Mid South 160gr "cruise missile". With it's large flat nose, it won't feed from the magazine in my Arisaka. Actually, it will feed from one side, but not the other, I think the left side jams. I'm thinking something more like a round nose, or "semi pointed" might work better. Because of the feeding problems, I haven't ever got around to working on accuracy with it.

BigMau
United States of America

#6 Post by BigMau » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:36 pm

les1234 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:20 pm
The only cast bullet I have for 6.5 is the Lee/Mid South 160gr "cruise missile". With it's large flat nose, it won't feed from the magazine in my Arisaka. Actually, it will feed from one side, but not the other, I think the left side jams. I'm thinking something more like a round nose, or "semi pointed" might work better. Because of the feeding problems, I haven't ever got around to working on accuracy with it.

I was kinda thinking the same thing?? Round nose bullets might be the best around the 140-160 gr weight??

BigMau
United States of America

#7 Post by BigMau » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Just slugged my bore with a fishing sinker. I got a reading of .266"dia. The rifle is a T-38 infantry rifle mfg. at the Nagoya Arsenal / 28th series.

BigMau
United States of America

#8 Post by BigMau » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Lots of good advise!! Do you crimp your cast bullets with a Lee crimp die?? Can you use the Lee Carcano crmp die??

Return to “Bullet Casting”