Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Spurs

nrobertb
United States of America

Re: Spurs

#241 Post by nrobertb » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:09 am

When I was talking about rolling stock I did not include the stagecoach, seen in practically every western ever made. The body was suspended on leather straps (buffalo hide perhaps) and was in constant motion. I wonder if people spoke of "coach sickness". The Concord coach was used all over the country. This one operated in Massachusetts.
Attachments
Mass coach.JPG

ffuries
United States of America

#242 Post by ffuries » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 pm

:dance: Woo-hoo the thread lives.........
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

72 usmc
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#243 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:32 pm

Someone must have spurred him on. :lol: :roll: :think:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

nrobertb
United States of America

#244 Post by nrobertb » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:52 pm

"spurred him on" rofl

Here's an interior view of the coach shown above. There isn't much leg room. I assume the leather strap is for the passengers to hold onto as they bounced and swayed over the dirt roads.
Attachments
Coach interior.JPG

ffuries
United States of America

#245 Post by ffuries » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:42 pm

nrobertb wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:52 pm
"spurred him on" rofl

Here's an interior view of the coach shown above. There isn't much leg room. I assume the leather strap is for the passengers to hold onto as they bounced and swayed over the dirt roads.
Now I know where the airlines get their standards for leg room back in the cattle car section.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

nrobertb
United States of America

#246 Post by nrobertb » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:26 pm

The heavy Concord coach was better suited for developed roads. The lighter and cheaper "mud coaches" were actually the ones that pioneered the west.
Attachments
mud coach.jpg

nrobertb
United States of America

#247 Post by nrobertb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:30 pm

Here is a coach somewhere out west. It looks like they are ready for anything, with two armed guards on top. These were usually pulled by four horses. Each one had a single rein, so the driver had two reins in each hand. Note the slightly longer coach body. The small windows on each side of the door are a clue to this.
Attachments
Yellowstone1.jpg

ffuries
United States of America

#248 Post by ffuries » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Gawd it must have been hell on the spine riding on the top of those things!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

nrobertb
United States of America

#249 Post by nrobertb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:26 pm

1913 - In front of one of the big hotels in Yellowstone National Park. A coach packed full of eager tourists, including several kids clustered around the driver. This looks like a mud coach, with a solid roof.
Attachments
Yellowstone.jpg

nrobertb
United States of America

#250 Post by nrobertb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:08 am

This is a modern replica of a type of coach used to show visitors around Yellowstone. If you are in the Roosevelt area you can ride one of these out to a cowboy cookout.
Attachments
Yellow.jpg

nrobertb
United States of America

#251 Post by nrobertb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:38 pm

There have been several large hotels in Yellowstone, most of them long gone now. On my first visit in 1950 one was being demolished.

The most famous is the Old Faithful Inn, a huge log structure built in 1903. There is a free tour which includes a look into one of the original bedrooms. The Inn has survived several earthquakes as well as the major forest fire in the 1980's.

Here is a helpful hint if you ever visit the Old Faithful area: don't follow the signs that say "geyser parking". The lot is huge and you may end up walking a long distance. It is better to park at the Inn, which puts you right in the middle of things.

At the upper left of the interior photo you can see the floor of the platform where musicians used to entertain visitors.
Attachments
Inn2.jpg
Inn.jpg
Last edited by nrobertb on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nrobertb
United States of America

#252 Post by nrobertb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:56 pm

All of the hardware in the Old Faithful Inn was done by an onsite blacksmith named Colpitts, and there is some very neat stuff. The mammoth stone fireplace has openings on all four sides.
Attachments
DSC00451.JPG
DSC00341.JPG

nrobertb
United States of America

#253 Post by nrobertb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:51 pm

Here is a beautiful Concord stagecoach. Notice the heavy leather straps that support the body and act as shock absorbers. There were two leather "boots". one below the driver and another at the rear to hold items needing protection from dust and rain. Heavy luggage could be tied on top.
Attachments
Concord_Stagecoach.JPG

nrobertb
United States of America

#254 Post by nrobertb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:31 am

The first time I visited Yellowstone, in 1950, there were "bear Jams" everywhere, as people stopped to photograph and feed the begging black bears. Later the Park Service instituted a strict "no feeding" policy and closed the garbage dumps. The bears faded into the back country and today about the only time you see one is in the campground where it is attracted by food odors. Problem bears are trapped and relocated but if they don't take the hint and keep coming back they may be shot.

Today the big problem is bison jams. There are bison everywhere, especially in the valley between Madison and Old Faithful. Along the roads traffic slows to a crawl as people photograph the big beasts. You often see lone bulls walking along the roads, ignoring cars and visitors. They can drift through the woods like smoke. One year as we unloaded our car, a woman asked if we had seen the bull bison that walked behind us. We didn't see or hear it.
Attachments
bears.jpg
bison.jpg

Return to “General Off Topic”