Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Rust.

Forum for rifles not listed
Reverend Mauser
United States of America

Re: Rust.

#16 Post by Reverend Mauser » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:52 pm

Soak it in vinegar?
I don't think you'd want to use this. I've seen it suggested by many people that vinegar is useful for stripping off bluing to prepare for a new bluing job.

I've always had good success with WD-40 and similar, with a little 0000 steel wool.

Smokey
United States of America

#17 Post by Smokey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:00 am

WD-40 is notorious for killing primers. Police officers have lost their lives as a result when their service arms didn't fire from using the stuff.
Absolutely no way should it be used on a magazine. Use a good gun oil and one of the metal cleaning pads some have recommended.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

noddaz
United States of America

#18 Post by noddaz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. I elected to go with some light machine oil and steel wool. Then wiped it down and put it away. After all, it is just a common, generic magazine. Thank you all again.

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#19 Post by Reverend Mauser » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:43 pm

Something to perhaps experiment with: I recently toured a museum that featured the recovery of a sunken steamboat and they had numerous artifacts they had been cleaning to remove corrosion. One of the handiest items was a pencil eraser in a dremel tool--it made a copper late look like new. (Ferrous metals were then dunked in tannic acid as a rust inhibitor. It gives a blackish color to the metal, very antique looking).

I have seen an old-timer's advice to simply take a pencil and mark over a little rust spot and then erase. He swore by it.

I'm not suggesting you should throw all caution to the wind and attack a Grand with a dremel tool, but maybe hitting a discreet spot might show you some possibilities.

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”