Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Remington model 700

Hippycrowe
United States of America

Remington model 700

#1 Post by Hippycrowe » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:19 pm

I bought a model 700 off my daughters boyfriend for $300 and it surprised me on how accurate it is it is a VTR in 223 with a Leopold 3-9 scope. It has a really nice trigger. I have not had very good luck with Remington in the past couple years.
Attachments
20170930_170425.jpg

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Remington model 700

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:17 am

A nice looking rifle. One heck of a deal. Did it come with the fly swatter?
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

#3 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:53 am

Very cool set-up. Could you post info about, the barrel length,( looks to be about 21" ), the twist rate, and what bullet weight gave the best accuracy. Thanks.
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#4 Post by Hippycrowe » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:51 am

There is a nest of yellow jackets we have been killing them lol Mom got stung 2 times 75 is little old to get stung.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by RWS » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:49 am

Hippycrowe: When you said your 700 had a really nice trigger it set off a little alarm bell in my head.

If your 700 has the "X-Mark Pro" trigger you should know that it has been recalled by Remington. It was put on rifles manufactured between 2006 and 2014. Some of these rifles will fire when the safety is flicked off, without any finger on the trigger, and this has caused several deaths and injuries. Some of the rifles work just fine, some work fine in warm weather but malfunction below 30 degrees F, and some malfunction erratically and unpredictably. The cold weather thing is especially vexing because the rifles often won't malfunction in warm weather.

60 minutes did a segment on the problem. I checked mine and it fired in cold weather when the safety is disengaged without ever touching the trigger about 50% of the time. Remington fixed mine but the downside is that the trigger was now not nearly as nice as before. I traded mine in for an old Remington Model 8. I think that X-Mark Pro trigger was just too light to be safe.

The consequences of the trigger problem is great enough that every 700 owner ought to at least check their trigger, especially in the winter, and try it several times to see if a problem exists.

No axe to grind here; just passing info along. The recall is real.
https://xmprecall.remington.com/

-Bob

spentprimer
United States of America

#6 Post by spentprimer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:46 am

My nephew has a synthetic stock variant of the M-700 with a heavy barrel chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum with a custom made muzzle brake on the end and a rather expensive Vortex variable power scope with the best reticle I have ever seen. In my old age body parts are not what they once were and after neck surgery I am finding high recoil has become a problem for me. About this time last year I had the opportunity to shoot this rifle. Frankly, my expectations were not very high. The recoil is virtually nonexistent! To explain the accuracy I can only say it shoots holes inside holes. I wish I had a need and the money to get one just like it. As a guy that has a couple precision rifles that shoot pretty good, this Remington really has amazed me.
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok - Matthew Quigley

Return to “General Firearms Topics”