Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Found a 98/22.

shoggoth80
United States of America

Found a 98/22.

#1 Post by shoggoth80 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:49 pm

So I took a buddy shopping today for his first milsurps. He has an interest in Czech weapons. Found him a Cz52 pistol (and showed him how to tear it down, and reassemble), and a sanitized (captured?) Vz24. Strong lands, decent grooves, lots of character.

I found one for myself while out. A 98/22. All numbered parts match. Bolt unnumbered. Bore looked good. A little grey, but clean, and lots if rifling left. Finish wear and dings in the wood. No cracks. I put it on layaway. I didn't notice any Turk marks. Small import marks on the barrel end. This fills a rifle want in my collection, so I'm stoked to have found it.

Is there an efficient way to place the date of manufacture? It doesn't have a year on the receiver ring. I think I saw the E-22 stamp on receiver side. I haven't seen a 98/22 in many years, and the last I saw got snatched before I could buy it. It'll be a few weeks before I get to bring it home, so pics will have to wait unfortunately.

It was a good day hunting.

wjh
United States of America

Re: Found a 98/22.

#2 Post by wjh » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:58 pm

I've got one 98/22, lovely rifle. They also have a very cool history.
It should be a good shooter.

Keiths
United States of America

#3 Post by Keiths » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:27 pm

I bought three of them years ago and tried to sell one without any luck. I've started wondering if there is something wrong with them or I haven't found the right buyers. I like the rifles a lot. I bought them to sporterize, but they were too nice to do that in my opinion. Still like them.
Last edited by Keiths on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shoggoth80
United States of America

#4 Post by shoggoth80 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:22 am

So I brought it home. Turkish rear sight. One thing I didn't notice is the rear sight was marked in Arabic. Lol. In my excitement, I missed that part. No matter. It is still the first I've seen in a long time. Now mine. It has curved Zbrojovka crest, and V Czech army acceptance mark. Guessing later sold to Turkey.

Rubbed some oil into the wood, on the metal. Gotta give the bore a once over. It's getting later here though. I can scrub in the morning. A serial prefix, 4 digit serial. Gonna have to look this up (looks to be earlier series based on Gunboards serial data. Possibly 1922?). Only crescent I can see is on the rear sight. Handguard is on there pretty tight. Might need to warm it. Wouldn't be surprised to find old cosmo lol. Lots of scuffs, and dings in the wood. No cracks. Looks like old walnut. I've owned Enfields with rougher wood. Nosecap, rear band, and bolt have imperial markings on them. Floorplate is Czech with (Z) marking. Capture screws still present.

I have the sling swivel. I need a cross pin. In Turkish fashion, it had a nail serving that purpose. Lol. By the polished witness spot on the mount, it had been there some time. Just a little too hack for my tastes though. All in all, seems solid, with a fair amount of finish wear, and tons of character. I'm good with mechanically sound, and functionally fine, with signs of use in surplus guns.

Some quick pics... Because we all like them.
20170916_004947-1.jpg
20170916_005050.jpg
20170916_005109_Burst01.jpg
20170916_005431-1.jpg

steamer
United States of America

#5 Post by steamer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:47 pm

Nice rifle - I have always wanted to pick up decent a BRNO 98/22 - good find. :mrgreen: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Keiths
United States of America

#6 Post by Keiths » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:01 pm

I've got to get the Mauser book. So much to learn.

shoggoth80
United States of America

#7 Post by shoggoth80 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Hardcover. Great for reference, though I've heard there's a few errors. It's been great so far. Makes me want to "catch em all." Lol.

Keiths
United States of America

#8 Post by Keiths » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:44 pm

That would a dangerous thing for my wallet.

72 usmc
United States of America

#9 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:12 am

An excellent shooter and looks like a great bore. Most do headspace, but only a few actually still have their matching bolts. Like yours some are unmarked, some are Gew marked bolts, and some are Turk marked with a number- a very few will actually match. I have found some that fail a FIELD gauge. So I would test it with a 8mm FIELD gauge. 70 % pass. If they are out of specs, the bolt just drops down all the way on a gauge- like its not even in the rifle. Borrow one from someone at a gun show or the range if you do not own a 8mm field gauge. It is an easy fix to switch bolts and lap it in if its out of headspace. Those Turked mausers suffer from switched, miss matched bolts. A few are found not to headspace. If the bolt actually matches the receiver number they most always pass. You will be surprised how accurate they shoot. Remember those were $79 rifles and Dunhams, Fleet & Farm and gun shows had tons of them back in the day. The trick was to find a great bore like yours has, good wood, and one with a matching bolt. Or to find a nice parts rifle with a nice Imperial marked Gew 98 bolt to strip off and save then sell the receiver to a builder, or a great stock to have as a spare. F & F always had about 15-20 per store in their Century boxes. And most have the import mark on the barrel, not a stinking billboard on the receiver. They make great shooters so it is not hard to believe these are $200-250 at shows today. I saw one for $300. Who would have know, I should have got a dozen when they were $79 :lol: :lol: :doh:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
United States of America

#10 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:36 pm

shoggoth80, :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: great photo of the inside of a barrel, you are Mr. photography ;) Fantastic shot. It really shows what great rifling should look like on the old boys.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

shoggoth80
United States of America

#11 Post by shoggoth80 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:39 pm

It looks better now that I cleaned it :)
Bore shots are always hard. White paper in the clip slot, decent overhead lighting, and turn off the flash on the camera... That's what works for me.

shoggoth80
United States of America

#12 Post by shoggoth80 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Speaking of cleaning. Always clean your used purchases. Lol. Just because it looks passable doesn't mean it's clean. Patches, from rumpled solvent soaked ones (homebrew solvent), dry, oiled (couple), dry.
FB_IMG_1506033812246.jpg

Return to “Czech Rifles”