Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Reloading PSL, deformed cases

bbyrd
United States of America

Reloading PSL, deformed cases

#1 Post by bbyrd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Hey guys I recently picked up a PSL and it is awesome. It shoots pretty decent with surplus light ball (could hit a man at 300m-400m all day), but I tried it last week with some PPU 150gr and MAN DID I LIKE THE RESULTS! Even when the barrel started to get a bit warm, the shots didn't move very much.

Only problem is that the rifle seems to deform the brass near the shoulder quite bad. I was hoping after I full length sized then it would remove it l, but that wasn't the case. I'd love to reload for this rifle to get the same type of accuracy, but I don't want to ruin all my x54r brass doing so. Do you think the cases would be alright to reload as is? Would playing around with a lighter or heavier load eliminate this problem?

I'll attach some photos of the cases. It seems as though the imprint on the case is identical so I'd assume it's fireforming to the chamber.

P.S. the loaded round is a dummy round, no primer or powder and I was able to chamber it easily in another one of my mosins
Attachments
IMG_2105.JPG
IMG_2104.JPG

DaleH
United States of America

Re: Reloading PSL, deformed cases

#2 Post by DaleH » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:12 am

First thought, PSLs are way over-gassed. I drilled out the gas port hole and put drilled set-screws into it. Somewhere else, I believe on the AK Forums there is a tutorial on modifying the angle of the ejector to avoid killing the brass. I'd try the gas port first.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:59 am

I assume the brass was dented when ejected from the rifle. If that is the case you have two options.
1. Reshape the face of the ejector. This will prevent the case spinning so violently out of the action. I've done it on AK's and PSL rifles and it is very easy to do.
2. Shoe-Goo the receiver/top cover where the cases are hitting. This pads the brass and can be peeled off without hurting the action/top cover. I've done this as well and it works!
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#4 Post by Tommy Atkins » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:04 pm

That looks like a chipped die or a chipped chamber to me. (chatter when reaming maybe)?
Can you turn the gas off & eject manually to test?

DaleH
United States of America

#5 Post by DaleH » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:37 pm

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:04 pm
Can you turn the gas off & eject manually to test?
Not on a stock PSL. Even then, the gas piston is affixed to the bolt carrier. It is an "all gas" design, so that's why I advise regulating the gas port as well as the ejector tweak, as RRob mentioned.

Simple google search on AK forums will find it.

There used to be a ton of PSL info here, much I posted too (had the barrel cryo frozen) but lost to the internet winds and/or with pictires lost due to 'PhotoFukit' debacle too. After the cryo, I could hammer multiple mags downrange and the POI never changed; she became a 1-MOA shooter w/ good handloads, plus the gas tuning helped! Strongly recommend you stay w/ light ball (150-grn) loads.

Sold her off when offered twice what I paid for it!

bbyrd
United States of America

#6 Post by bbyrd » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks dale, I had seen posts about the gas regulator but I figured the dents people were talking about were more so the mouth of the case being dented much like an m1 likes to do. I just figured these dents would more like be caused while in the chamber not from ejecting.

Also, I'm assuming these cases with the wrinkles are a no-go for reloading now, correct?

DaleH
United States of America

#7 Post by DaleH » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 pm

bbyrd wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:46 pm
Also, I'm assuming these cases with the wrinkles are a no-go for reloading now, correct?
I really can't get a good perspective if there's any depth or sharp creases to the dent or wrinkles, but if wary - I wouldn't chance it, at least on full power loads. A sharp fewture is a source of stress riser or formation.

FYI, my PSL just LOVED cheap Tula non-corrosive ammo, but would sling them - with force - 4 or 5 benches over & away at the range I go to. After making the custom gas port plug (tried various numbered drill sizes) the same load only threw the cases to the next bench, haha!

I think RRob's trick of the shoegoo is cool too! I like the concept that it will just peel off.

bbyrd
United States of America

#8 Post by bbyrd » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Yeah, it shoots both the Tula/Wolf stuff well, but man the PPU just brought the accuracy into a much more consistent group.

I figured the problem was based around the powder charge since it was in the shoulder and came from in the chamber of the rifle not upon ejection

ammolab
United States of America

#9 Post by ammolab » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:15 pm

There seems to be marks all around the circumference of the shoulder...how can this be happening on ejection? Seems like a scared up chamber issue, as if someone dug out a seperated Case with a jackhammer.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#10 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Or under resizing & they're crushing in the chamber. Looking at the damage closely it looks more like "scraped off & bashed" than "dented in".

ammolab
United States of America

#11 Post by ammolab » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Looks extruded into chamber defect all around the edge of the shoulder...and also the weird cuts/gouge.

Return to “Reloading”