Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Help with ID'ing target sight!

Irons78
Canada

Help with ID'ing target sight!

#1 Post by Irons78 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi all - I bought a No1 Mk3 and the seller threw in this target sight for free....I have no idea if its for a No1 or maybe a No4 (see stampings)?. If anyone could enlighten me as to what rifle this sight is for and any other info, much appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_3369.JPG
IMG_3368.JPG
IMG_3367.JPG
IMG_3366.JPG
IMG_3365.JPG

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Re: Help with ID'ing target sight!

#2 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:19 am

Central was an Aussie maker so I believe its for a No1MkIII (SMLE).
IIRC there's a part missing where it attaches via a bracket similar to this which bolts to the safety screw & trigger guard(?) screw fittings?

Techsupport
Australia

#3 Post by Techsupport » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:12 am

Tommy has nailed the sight.... It was the most popular range sight ever in Aus for the No1 rifle. The mount plate/ side plate for it is a little different to the one in his pics... The correct one has a row of grooves along the outside face toward the top with several screw holes to attach the sight to depending on your desired eye relief.
Not home ATM, can add pics of the plate after if nobody else gets one up before I get back.

The sight is in very good condition too, congrats. It would pull a good price here in Aus.

Techsupport
Australia

#4 Post by Techsupport » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:13 am

Here's some pics of the side plate... (apology for the size, they are old pics...)
Note, the side plate mounts on the dumbell (safety) spring hole with the standard screw, but will also require a slightly longer rear trigger guard screw to fit. The safety spring action is done by a small coil spring between the inside of the side plate and the safety itself.
There are a couple of slightly different types of Central side plates, but any should do. There is also a special spring loaded lockscrew for mounting the sight on the plate, the lever making it quick release and installs back to zero.
2006_0504e-bits0002.JPG

2006_0504e-bits0003.JPG
2006_0504e-bits0005.JPG

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#5 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:51 pm

Any idea of a source for those longer screws nowadays? Is someone custom making or anything?
I seem to be in the market for one as well because Karma came quickly this weekend!
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1034

Techsupport
Australia

#6 Post by Techsupport » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 am

I seem to recall a bloke in the US by the name of Scott Stonehill(?) who was making a few of the old favourite screws a while back. A quick Google has found he was at a place called Evans Obsolete Screws...
These parts are hard to come by in Aus, so the best bet in the US might be someone like Scott. The actual screw diameter and thread angle and pitch are available... Once again, if not posted before I get home, I'll stick the sizes up later.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#7 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:50 am

Thanks, somewhere I have a listing of all the L-E screw specs, I'll see if I can find it.

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”