Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Would this be a good price?

Hammy
United States of America

Would this be a good price?

#1 Post by Hammy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:56 pm

I was at a lgs (local gun shop) this afternoon and I was looking at some rifles he had on display for sale. One caught my eye, and from what I could make out it is a 1938 or 1939 dated K. Kale Turkish Mauser. The way he had it on display made it difficult to give it a good once-over, but the sale tag showed it's been on the shelf since 2011, and the price is $317. Good price? I can't afford it now, I had just left the tire shop after getting 4 new tires on my truck. If you guys think it's a good price, I will go back and see if he does lay-a-way. Thanks for any replies. Jim....
U.S. Marine Corps 1975-1979
Combat Engineer

Hammerdown
United States of America

Re: Would this be a good price?

#2 Post by Hammerdown » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:10 pm

The price is high for what they go for around my area $150--200.
Captain Obvious, you have never failed me!

SmokinTurkey
United States of America

#3 Post by SmokinTurkey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:22 am

I agree the price is high. $200 max for me

burban89
United States of America

#4 Post by burban89 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Yeah that price is way too high. No wonder it's been there since 2011. In my area you'd be lucky to get even $150 for it as here the few collectors around don't want Turk mausers and most of them end up either becoming sporters or become parts guns for other more desirable pieces. The last one I saw for sale that actually sold was last year when a guy I knew bought one for under $100 just for the stock and planned to make a little truck gun from what was left over.
Last edited by burban89 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AMraider
United States of America

#5 Post by AMraider » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:28 pm

$200-250 is the range in my area.

viking
United States of America

#6 Post by viking » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:12 pm

i agree with hammerdowns price.

porkchop
United States of America

#7 Post by porkchop » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:51 am

They don't really bring more than $250 in my area, $200 is pretty much about the going rate even for "nice ones". Maybe if it is an exceptional example with beautiful wood and metal I might consider $300 but I have never seen such a Turkish mauser. The Turkish mausers just don't tend to bring the money or demand. I think they are an excellent bang for the buck. If you shop around some more or consider private sales you should easily find one for under $200

Hammy
United States of America

#8 Post by Hammy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks for the input, fellas. I thought it was a bit on the high side, but just wanted to confirm. I doubt he will come down to $250, he's got the reputation of "That's what I'm asking because that's what it's worth". Never hurts to try, though. I do recall it had a cleaning rod with a brass tip on it. I'll keep you posted.
Combat Engineer

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#9 Post by FamilyFirearms » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:55 am

I have a nice K Kale m1938 in stock with nice bore, nice stock &a bluing for $200.

Urbanwolf
United States of America

#10 Post by Urbanwolf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:28 pm

Yes. I have to agree with the others. Seems high.
While all I've bought from them is ammo I've heard a lot of good reviews from the guys here about family firearms & finishes rifles. If you have a c&r id really consider talking to them.

72 usmc
United States of America

#11 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:56 am

I would get one from Todd. If no C & R find a transfer dealer in your area. His stuff was always top grade. Here in WI it can be 25-50 bucks for the transfer. Most of the local hardware stores that sell guns do a transfer. In Il, who knows with all there anti gun rules. Move to WI and you have the huge Fond du lac gun show. Lots of surplus rifles. Going rate in WI is 175-250. Dogs with poor bores are around 125-150. Missing the cleaning rod and may not headspace. A gun shop in West bend Wi has some average ones at 145 with the rods. Worn bores. Your typical Fleet & Farm $65 Turk back in 2004. A nice condition Turk with a nice bore and matching bolt is a hard find.
Semper Fi
Contact Todd and he can send you some photos, I got my best stuff from him. In Todd we Trust. Give him a call, but have full battery power, he is a talker. If he says its nice, its a better specimen than you will find at a show for top buck. I would ask if he has a nice RC k98 if you want a mauser. He ships stuff wrapped real good. He also under rates his guns, I always think what I get from him is better than he indicated. Heck, he sold me stuff he should have kept, the problem is the pistols I got are so mint, I do not dare shoot them.
I spent a good amount of time in Modoc and Chester Il, back in 1980 lots of the local HW stores were dealers in firearms for transfers. Got to love the Modoc Inn bar.
He also has a nice marked Turk bayonet for itthat he listed for sale-- call today he is going to a show and may sell the stuff soon. Call is free DO IT, a tip from a fellow jar head 72-79

Our shop phone number is open from 10am to 7pm eastern time Mon-Sat for phone or fax (we must be here to receive a fax). Please respect these hours.
Todds #
1-513-524-9517
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#12 Post by FamilyFirearms » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:29 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:56 am
I would get one from Todd. If no C & R find a transfer dealer in your area. His stuff was always top grade. Here in WI it can be 25-50 bucks for the transfer. Most of the local hardware stores that sell guns do a transfer. In Il, who knows with all there anti gun rules. Move to WI and you have the huge Fond du lac gun show. Lots of surplus rifles. Going rate in WI is 175-250. Dogs with poor bores are around 125-150. Missing the cleaning rod and may not headspace. A gun shop in West bend Wi has some average ones at 145 with the rods. Worn bores. Your typical Fleet & Farm $65 Turk back in 2004. A nice condition Turk with a nice bore and matching bolt is a hard find.
Semper Fi
Contact Todd and he can send you some photos, I got my best stuff from him. In Todd we Trust. Give him a call, but have full battery power, he is a talker. If he says its nice, its a better specimen than you will find at a show for top buck. I would ask if he has a nice RC k98 if you want a mauser. He ships stuff wrapped real good. He also under rates his guns, I always think what I get from him is better than he indicated. Heck, he sold me stuff he should have kept, the problem is the pistols I got are so mint, I do not dare shoot them.
I spent a good amount of time in Modoc and Chester Il, back in 1980 lots of the local HW stores were dealers in firearms for transfers. Got to love the Modoc Inn bar.
He also has a nice marked Turk bayonet for itthat he listed for sale-- call today he is going to a show and may sell the stuff soon. Call is free DO IT, a tip from a fellow jar head 72-79

Our shop phone number is open from 10am to 7pm eastern time Mon-Sat for phone or fax (we must be here to receive a fax). Please respect these hours.
Todds #
1-513-524-9517
Thank you for the glowing review, feel a tear coming out! Yes I do have 6 or so K98's,YUGO 24/47 and M48 near unissued, 98/22, Turk, VZ24, Argentine and a beautiful Israeli Mauser with the nicest bore I have ever seen on any gun new or C&R. Also K31's, several Enfields and other guns and handguns. We just bought a nice collection of surplus, ammo, bayonets and accessories. We just got set up at a show this weekend and took pics of most of the stuff there.

We now have a Facebook page and you can see everything there and follow me (dangerous thought right?) there as well as here!

https://www.facebook.com/familyfirearmsandfinishes

Hammy
United States of America

#13 Post by Hammy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:36 pm

Just a quick update to the original post. I've been in the shop three times, and the lowest he's willing to go is $285, plus tax, title, license, destination fee, etc. So I guess I'll have to start the old "picking up aluminum cans for cash" gig again, and contact Todd. I don't have FaceBook (and probably never will) but I do have his number (thanks 72USMC semper fi) and I have an FFL lined up, so hopefully in the near future I will have a new posting. Jimi....
Combat Engineer

apachedawg
United States of America

#14 Post by apachedawg » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:50 pm

Just my opinion but $285 is stil too high.

Return to “Turkish Rifles”