Hunting with milsurps

Str8pull

Hunting with milsurps

Post by Str8pull »

Maybe I'm posting this in the wrong place as this is just a suggestion but I was thinking maybe there should be a forum on here for hunting with milsurps. Both my wife and I hunt deer with our milsurp rifles and I was thinking other people must do the same. It would be nice to have a place to share pics. and stories of hunting with our precious old rifles. Does anyone else like this idea?
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: Hunting with milsurps

Post by 72 usmc »

Most likely go into the section: Veterans Stories, Range Reports, Hunting Stories

Some place stories into General Topics. Not much talk about hunting, more collectors or target/ competition shooters. Likewise, there is less discussion about scoping or sporting milsurp rifles because there value has increased so much. Not many take a $1000 rifle and drill or convert it for hunting because it devalues a nice relic down to a $200 hunting rifle. It is best to get get a nice new hunting rifle.
Here is a nice general hunting forum https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/

There are many more specific deer hunting, water fowl, or fishing forums.

I am old and we see less and less hunters even for deer in WI. The under 40 group is just not into firearms or hunting. Of course there are regional differences like the Menominee Reservation where it is a family thing. Even gals hunt and bring their guns in a car to the college for the morning hunt or late afternoon hunt. Then more kids actually still hunt in the northern, more forested rural sections of WI. Due to costs, travel expensives, processing & sausage making at the butcher, firearms and ammo, snowmobile & trailer or a boat with trailer if duck hunting; most no longer have spare cash to invest or the place to store equipment. Way too many are city kids that still live with parents. And the old guys with heart problems can not get out, if the walk did not kill us, hauling a deer or reservation bear out off the woods definitely would. :lol: Us old guys are kind of restricted to turkey, squirrel, and rabbits . :doh: :doh:
I do not do boats-water sucks!
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
Str8pull

Post by Str8pull »

I understand.
It's unfortunate that younger people in your area are not getting into hunting. Where I live in rural southern Ontario younger people are still getting into it. You won't find much work going on in towns around here during the rifle season.
I would never scope or sporterize a milsurp for hunting, I use them in full military configuration even with aging eyes as we seldom can see more than 100yrds. in the bush around here. My wife often uses a sported SKS but we still have all its original parts. I also have a few previously sported old rifles that I got so cheap I couldn't resist, that we will also occasionally use. I enjoy taking out several different original old milsurps every year and have retired my 94 Win lever gun from hunting ever since I got into collecting milsurps years ago.
Str8pull

Post by Str8pull »

This year I think I'm going to do a Canadian/Commonwealth themed hunt and use a No.4 MK1* and a No.1 MK III and a No.5 and a sported M10 Ross rifle (only because I can't afford an original) Last year was a Mauser year, I used an R.C. k98 and my Brazilian m954. Thinking about a Russian theme for next year possibly involving a 91/30, M44, and an svt 40 (unless our Canadian communist liberal dictatership government has banned my svt by then) but I'll still use it anyway!!
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

One of my 1950s $125, K98s converted into a nice hunting rifle.
IMG_2896.jpg
IMG_2898.jpg
IMG_2902.jpg
IMG_2903.jpg
IMG_2899.jpg
This was an all matching bring back with new mint barrel that was tapped for a Lyman vintage sight and removal of the Mauser front sight and collar. It still is a tack driver. I removed the bishop fancy stock because it was too short and dropped the action into a vz 24 stock. The Bishop stock sold at $100. So not bad for a $25 hunting rifle. Perfect weight and the option of different peep holes on the sight.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tommy Atkins »

May I present my "Goobermint Model sporter"
Its a No5 Mk that had been messed with that I got a deal on. The stock was butchered internally, the metal refinished & the bayonet lug ground off, so I just went for it & put a new commercial stock on & found a nice Santa Fe 5 round mag & a Leupold 3~9X40 scope in a S&K Insta-Mount for it as well.
Str8pull

Post by Str8pull »

Great looking hunting machines guys. Have you guys been successful taking game with them?
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

A long walk in the forest and the deer will be pulling me back. :lol: :lol:
Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tommy Atkins »

Took "the stupidest deer on the face of the planet' with one.We were walking a cable run in PA a while back. He came out of the trees from the right at about 45'. Then he stopped, just stood there broadside on, looked at me & coughed.
I hit him with a 150 Gr soft-point right at elbow level.
Nothing.
Then he just fell over all stiff legged.
I was amazed as all I saw through the scope was a patch of hair, god knows where exactly. I just opened the other eye & guessed.
Polaris428

Post by Polaris428 »

Honestly, ill probably hunt with a few surplus, once I obtain them. I'll participate in that thread for sure.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”