Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#256 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:48 am

https://www.bing.com/search?q=homing+pi ... sp=1&ghc=1

https://www.bing.com/search?q=homing%20 ... AF73C03F38

Flubber huh – Yes, I have done my share of glass tube bending...only in school though, not with work. One time I made a still and made some Mead then distilled it. It tasted like a good Scotch-can be done by anyone slicker than the dickens. One time I had over a couple of dozen or so gallon milk bottles going with party balloons on top for air-locks. Just put a small pin hole in the balloon and it works perfectly as an air-lock.

A bird brain story...Mentioning my grandson that works at Vandenberg AFB reminded me of his first wife. His first assignment was at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas and he married a local girl. His father-in-law was a real estate salesman and bird runner. His bird running almost got him killed so he quite that. While working for a Homing Pigeon gambling out fit, his part time bird running involved taking these Homing Pigeons out away from Vegas to various places involving many miles and turning them loose and big money was wagered on which Pigeon would get back to its cage in Vegas first. Working with Inertial Navigation we were familiar with the theory of the Homing Pigeon. The theory was that the Homing Pigeon had an innate built-in Inertial Navigation system in its brain. And its system allowed it to back-track after its trip off to yonder. As far as I know this is how it worked. I have seen pictures of the Pigeons being released and circling to get its bearings and then taking off and backtracking its way to its home cage. The theory is that the pigeon keeps track of its trip using the Magnetic lines of force of the earth as a reference to program its built-in system. Now since the pigeons can’t talk much, but very little, we just have to accept this theory. A guy with the last name of Singleton I believe recognized how this could have worked and designed the present day Inertial Navigation Systems this way. Can one imagine this bird having this little bitty system in their brain and knowing how to use it. The process is really simple, it uses accelerometers to keep track of its path as it is taken. With the second intragal of acceleration being distance.

Okay, as for his life threatening...There would be two guys taking these pigeons out into the field. Well, as gambling has a way of involving into ‘Fixing ‘ the game, the guy that was going with him got involved with a ‘fixer’. He would put a strong magnet next to certain pigeon’s head before releasing them that would garble or erase its internal programing and the pigeon couldn’t find its way back. The trick leaked out and death has a way of treating cheaters in Las Vegas...apparently he blamed the other guy but who knows. Anyway he got away with his life, as far as I know.

I had an ex sailor as a coworker one time that was a radio operator on some big sea planes and he said that some of the planes had pigeon cages in them to carry Homing Pigeons so if the plane happened to go down at sea, a note could be attached to a pigeon leg to tell the home office where there were.

This isn't fiction but for real.

Why do I keep getting kicked off the forum and having to reregister?

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#257 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:17 pm

Do any of you recall the Bat Mission program of the Army Air Corps during WW2 where they would put little phosphorus bombs on the backs of drafted bats and were to drop them on the towns of Japan to set fires to the buildings? And a bat during the program accidently flew up into an Air Corps hanger and set it on fire.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#258 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:25 pm

DSC_0006-001.JPG
Have you seen a tree without leaves? Normally that is.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#259 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:13 pm

What a concealed carry!
Attachments
Scan.BMP.jpg

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#260 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:47 pm

The pigeon guided bombs that were more accurate than humans...

https://gizmodo.com/the-pigeon-guided-m ... 1477007090;

And the Tic-Tac-Toe playing chickens...they cheat of course.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=chicken+t ... =QBRE&sp=4

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#261 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:58 pm

This is almost a sure thing to see or take some photos of the bears if one is in bear territory. Make a little fire and fry four slices of bacon up wind from the bear county.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#262 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:06 pm

RAMBLING – HUNTING

While in the Air Force in Newfoundland (53-55) a buddy and I went seal hunting one time north of St.Johns. At the time seal pelts were 35 $. He checked out two M1 carbines and an unopened wooden box of ammo. We didn’t see any seal on land but a few on ice bergs drifting by. After finished our case of beer we proceeded to shoot ice bergs, sea gulls and things. He suggested that we try swimming in that cold water. After the beer it sounded feasible...We striped down to our skivvies and dove in...It’s a wonder we didn’t die. We didn’t spend more than two seconds in that water.

St. Johns had three sealing trawlers and one by the name of, Terra Nova. I heard on the radio one day that the Terra Nova was coming in with 10,000 pelts. The crew would kill the seals with a base ball bat...cut off the flippers and skin them out, leave the meat on the ice for the critters. The town was happily waiting for the flippers. They would have flipper soup, flipper pie, dried flippers, flipper jerky. Every restaurant in town would have flipper soup and flipper pie..
.https://www.bing.com/search?q=pictures% ... 33E7A22318

https://www.macleans.ca/society/life/th ... -st-johns/

I just read that now they have to use a special club with a metal tip to kill them more humanly.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Se ... 129&ch=565

At the time my future father–in-law and family lived in a little town of English Harbour East that had no road to at the time. He would shoot moose for the whole town with his Winchester Model 1886 in 45-70. He would make multiple trips with a team of horses and wagon and give every one in town moose meat. Years later my daughter visited them after they built a road to the town. My wife said that her mother raised sheep, sheared them, and she and her sisters would card the wool and make the yarn and her mother would knit socks and sweaters for the family.

https://modernfarmer.com/2014/11/seal-m ... big-thing/

A story that my father-in-law told me. Doing WW2 he was in the Canadian Merchant Marines on an ammunition ship out of Nova Scotia and his ship was hit by a German torpedo. The ship blew up and he was among the few survivors in the water but the other ships in the convoy could not stop to pick them up. They just threw some water and food over board and kept on going. All of the others that were with him in the water died of exposure in that North Atlantic water and he was the only one that survived and was picked up by the next convoy 10 days later. He said that he floated all of the time on a wooden pallet - Some rough days at work.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#263 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:48 pm

RAMBLING

Here is the way I made my loads for my dad's trap doors when I was kid, the one on the left. In the late 40's where I lived there was no such thing as 45-70 ammo. I knew nothing about reloading...had no manuals or anything to show me what to do. 410 shells were 1 $ a box. I took out the wads, cut some of the hull off to fit in the chamber. I made a mold to make the bullets and taped them on with Scotch Tape. The bullets that I made didn't have the lube grooves so as I said, I just used Scotch on the bullet first. The brass part was too small so I built that up with Scotch Tape, then trimed some off one side so to catch the ejector. I didn't know anything about proper powder charges so just added powder from 20 gauge shot gun shells. But they worked just fine.

The one on the middle is a 45-70 and the one on the right is a 40-82.

I bought some 45-70 brass from Rapidrob to make my 40-82 ammo. I have a Marlin model 95 in 40-82. 45-90 brass would have been a little better maybe but they would be expensive.
Attachments
DSC_0011.JPG

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#264 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:27 pm

DSC_0007-001.JPG
This ad was in the local newspaper the other day - I though it was funny...'We are a happy bunch'. The whole state has gone pot crazy. The other day the power's to be in Denver made it unlawful for an employer to give a pot test for hiring except for emergency first responders and one other job. All other workers can smoke pot except in public places.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#265 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:24 am

DSC_0058.JPG
I found these to work somewhat. The small one is suppose to let different brands of .22's shoot better in the same rifle with the larger one for the larger bores. I found they work better, more quickly, if I wraped a piece of 1/8 inch wire solder around them.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#266 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:00 am

102_0121-002.JPG
Here is my 200 yard range behind our house. I took the picture from our deck. I don't climb back and forth, I just shoot at the dirt bank. I have a 100 yard range to the left of this. Our property goes back to the San Jaun National Forest so I have a 1,878,646 acre back yard to use. And in 24 years I have seen only a little itty bitty of it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sa ... &FORM=VDRE

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#267 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am

DSC_0065.JPG
These are some .300 bullets I made for the 7.35 Carcano from a 19 dollar LEE .22 cal 'seconds' bullet mold and painted them with some Rustoleum Appliance Paint.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#268 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:21 am

DSC_0061-001.JPG
Here is another .299 pair that I made for the 7.35 Carcano from a LEE .22 cal mold.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#269 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:31 am

Posting photos - I have norticed that quite a few have said that they have trouble posting photos.....so why can't we have some kind of dedicated 'Back and forth' dialogue spot with the detailed information rather than just tell someone to do such-n-such in one sentence that does'nt help much? I know that quite often it may be caused by one little step that is being overlooked, and peaple have different photo programs, etc.

I keep getting kicked off the forum and have to register about every other time, I don't know why.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#270 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:33 pm

DSC_0028.JPG
This is how I make my different bullet molds. This is my second from last step. This is the cutter 'to -be' that I made on my lathe, but a lathe is not required. It can all be done on a regular Drill Press. I made this cutter from tool steel. This step involves finalizing the diameter of the bullet that I wish. It is a cross-vice mounted on one of my drill presses with a file in the cross vice. A cross-vice is a 'poor-mans' mill. I have a lathe/mill, but it is easier just to use this. Also I find it easier to make molds with no lube grooves. This way I can eliminate this step and just drill a hole and finalize the nose shape. What I will do after this is grind or mill 60% or so away on one side of this cutter, Then put it inside of the small hole of the basic hole that I have drilled into the mold blank. The basic small hole will have the diamitter of the bottom of the lube groove. I will say this, the LEE aluminum molds are the only way that I will go with these. I am just not in to steel molds.

There are all kinds of Youtubes on how to do this. But I have not seen one that does it my way that I would find much more simpler and not require a lathe.

I find that if I want a custom precision bullet sizer I will buy a LEE bullet lube/Sizer a litte smaller than my bulllet that I wish and lap to that size. For example I bought a LEE .264 lube/sizer and lapped it out to .300 for the 7.35 Carcano.

As Daniel Lija told me one time that one does'nt have to worry about any lube when one buys one of his barrels after his lapping. His will not lead-up with no lube he guarantees.
Last edited by OLDGUNNER1 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”