Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Who else sent the PW to CMP for a 1911?

OldGrouchyGuy
United States of America

Who else sent the PW to CMP for a 1911?

#1 Post by OldGrouchyGuy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:20 pm

Today was the deadline for the packets to be postmarked. I sent mine to CMP the first day (Sept 4th) you could. My Dad carried one of those in the European theater in WWII and he passed away last year so I really wanted to get one.

I had thought that it would be hundreds of thousands of people sending those in but I read on the CMP forum as of last week it was only 17,000 so I may stand a chance of getting one this year or next year.

Did any other SRF people send in a packet?
NRA Lifetime member, CHL, C&R - Known to be extremely Grouchy and may be armed. Do not attempt to apprehend and instead notify local authorities.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Who else sent the PW to CMP for a 1911?

#2 Post by RWS » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 am

No, but it was because I already have several WW1 & WW2 1911 & 1911a1 pistols in better condition than what I think the service grade pistols will be. People are grousing that $1,050 for the service grade is too much but I'm firmly convinced that nobody is likely to lose any money on a genuine USGI 1911a1 at that price.

IMHO, the best candidates for the CMP pistols are collectors who have yet to acquire their first 1911. Good placeholders until a better specimen can be obtained and all that. Others may differ in their opinions.

-Bob

Stew15948
United States of America

#3 Post by Stew15948 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:58 pm

I didn’t, just not a pistol guy

OldGrouchyGuy
United States of America

#4 Post by OldGrouchyGuy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:52 pm

RWS wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 am
No, but it was because I already have several WW1 & WW2 1911 & 1911a1 pistols in better condition than what I think the service grade pistols will be. People are grousing that $1,050 for the service grade is too much but I'm firmly convinced that nobody is likely to lose any money on a genuine USGI 1911a1 at that price.

IMHO, the best candidates for the CMP pistols are collectors who have yet to acquire their first 1911. Good placeholders until a better specimen can be obtained and all that. Others may differ in their opinions.

-Bob
My thoughts exactly . I have a systema 45, a Ballester Molina, a NIB rock island knock off but I didn't have a US "gummit" 45. I think the service grades are going to be mixmasters but I least I will have 1 if I make it through the lottery. Also I think the CMP is a good program to support with them teaching marksmanship to youth. IMO We can ever have enough of that kind of thing.
NRA Lifetime member, CHL, C&R - Known to be extremely Grouchy and may be armed. Do not attempt to apprehend and instead notify local authorities.

Ernest T
United States of America

#5 Post by Ernest T » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:14 pm

I put my packet into the lottery. Nice to hear that there were just over 17000 versus some predictions of up to 100,000. According to the rules, just about everyone that put in an accepted packet will get a chance to buy one either this year or the next 2 years assuming the CMP is able to get another batch each year.

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#6 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:08 pm

It was a money problem with me. I think the amount of paperwork was excessive but I thrive on paperwork. Plus I have an 01 ffl.
And then I saw a piece on American Rifleman TV the pistols were the best of the lot. Grade A.
The army had taken great care of the pistols. Many were upgraded over time and sorted by cobditiin A,B, C etc. A being best.
The cmp was asked which grade they wanted to start with. CMP. not knowing how bad the worst grades were and not wanting to risk loosing the better grades should a new congress change the laws back, cmp opted for the best.
If you can find the clip on Youtube I recommend it if you are a masochist who likes to obsess over missed opurtunities... :D
Money aside my mom would have freaked if I bought another pistol. It was hell just buying my most recent rifle. "You have enough rifles you don't shoot. Why do you need another?"
Blistering...
:D
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

OldGrouchyGuy
United States of America

#7 Post by OldGrouchyGuy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Charles, thanks for the info on condition. I had wanted a service grade so it sounds like is likely. I'm waiting on pins and needles to see if I filled out everything correctly and get assigned a lottery number. I hope I will get one this year. They will be mixmasters (like most garands) but it is what my Dad who passed away last year carried in WWII so I really want one.

I still can't get over the fact that more people did not send in the PW.

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#8 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:03 am

I think it was more about the price. People figure they were already paid for decades ago. And it shouldn't cost a grand to sort clean and ship a pistol.
I kinda agree. Maybe 800? I don't know . not my call.
But the video looked darn good.
Management

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#9 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:38 pm

I mentioned American Rifleman TV did a show on the cmp. 45s. It repeats next Wednesday October 24 @8:30 pm est. It will air twice more times that night.
And again on Thursday afternoon @3:30 pm.
On the outdoor channel.
Channel 606 on Directv.
Management

OldGrouchyGuy
United States of America

#10 Post by OldGrouchyGuy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks Charles for the update on the American Rifleman show. Unfortunately I cut cable and all paid TV services years ago. Maybe I can find it on the internet.

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#11 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:34 am

Try the NRA home page. I searched Youtube but it want listed. Then I read the recent American Rifleman magazine.
I suggest you show IP at a friends house with beer or a pizza and watch it together.
You are welcome here. I can record it again.
And i don't drink . and I like pepperoni pizza. :)
Management

Return to “US Pistols”