Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#76 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:27 pm

https://www.bing.com/search?q=tellurium ... DA6F674184
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cr ... &FORM=IGRE

Myth Busting – Most people believe that gold is a metal that doesn’t combine with other elements – why do they believe this...it is because that this is the story most often heard. People are funny this way. We all see it all of the time. Some people will read something and then ‘know’ it to be true. I like to believe that I am broken from this. My premise on this is: “No one knows but an almost infinitesimal amount about anything.” This is why in some states that ‘so called expert witnesses are not allowed to testify in courts of law’. In my opinion, the other states just have not come around to their senses yet.

An almost infinitesimal amount is a very, very small amount, in other words for every little thing that a person may know about something, there are vast amounts, an almost infinite amount of things about this something that they ‘don’t' know. I think it would be great, just great if more would think this way. And I say, ‘No one knows anything for sure.” I have seen one word in the English language that means this but I have forgotten it and I can’t find it again. I well remember an example of this. We all have been in a class where someone will want to voice their opposing opinion with the instructor. And I always thought, darn, here I am paying my money to attend a class and have some one take up time arguing with the instructor. At the very first class one time I had an instructor tell this story....The college dean was giving the graduating class his graduation speech, he said, “You have all learned a large amount of facts during the past four years here, but we know that half may be true and the other half is not true. The trouble is we don’t know which is which.” And during that class no one, not one, interrupted the class with their opinion. The class was called ‘Quantum Mechanics’, with a text book by Linus Pauling. It was all theory, no facts. I don’t know to this day if any of the theory on this has been moved out the theory area into the ‘fact’ area, I doubt it. But I am aware of some of the experimenting and studies in this area.
The majority of Chemistry today is theory. We just have a good idea, a little bit of idea, just how things ‘result’, not why and how they result. I just had four semesters of college chemistry, and of course I know that this doesn’t do more than just help one understand some basics of chemistry but it comes in handy. A side note, this instructor said that he was one of the three guys that was working for DuPont during the late thirties that developed Teflon.

Back to this Telluride...Some will call Tellurium a metal and some will call it a ‘semi-metal’, but it doesn’t make any difference. The metal Tellurium will combine with just about any other element and the compounds are referred to as a ‘Telluride’, a Telluride compound. The town of Telluride, Colorado was named for its gold and silver Telluride mining. And it just so happens that Tellurium is one of the few other elements that gold will combine with, forming a compound. And it just so happens that Colorado is one of the few areas in the US that this ‘compound’ is so concentrated enough to warrant its mining. Now Gold Telluride is almost every where, just not usually enough to bother with its mining. This is the way with most elements. There is one big exception to this, that I know of, all of these mountains between here and Telluride, Colorado are plum full of Silver and Gold Telluride, but the lack of roads and politics keeps it somewhat obscure. There is one local story of some guy that went into this area and just carried out some of this Gold Telluride in a few trips and then some guy killed him, for his gold. Gold Telluride can be very concentrated. I have read, just read of some ores being as concentrated with as much as 40 % gold. One guy told me and I have no reason not to believe him, that he brought out a sample of this one time that assayed at over 48 ounces of gold per ton of this stuff. One may think how could a person just pass this off with no concern....He just had so much money that he just didn’t want to bother with it. As I say, right here between here and Telluride, Colorado, there are lots of Gold and Silver Tellurides and I can see new mines starting quite often and all that I can see are close to a road.

Like Uranium, as this is accepted as one of the most widely dispersed metals. We have uranium here under our house, and Radium. There are certain areas of the US that are higher in Radium that converts to Radon Gas. Radon Gas is not good for one’s well being and the state distributes test kits for testing for this gas. They gave me two test kits. One for the ‘crawl-space’ and one for the living area. They both detected and gave the percentages and the acceptable levels. Our’s were well below any danger level, but still here. Another thing, a good scintillator will detect uranium almost any where around here and most of the western areas. During the 40’s there was one of the concentrators of the ‘Yellowcake’ during the first atomic bomb making in near-by Durango. The ore was from mines just across the boarder in Utah and Arizona. https://durangoherald.com/articles/1991 ... dly-legacy
Yellowcake is the first stage of concentrating for uranium. If one accepts this, https://www.bing.com/search?q=Radium%20 ... F53B5FB668, and I do, every grain of sand and every speck of soil contains some Uranium, and some Radium, and gives off Radon Gas. I have an old style Geiger Counter. It is a design that was sold during the late 40’s and early 50’s that was to be used after an A Bomb attack to tell one when it was safe enough to come out of their ‘bomb shelter’.

This picture is of a piece of Gold Telluride from the mines around Cripple Creek, Colorado. This mining area is considered the largest gold mining area of Colorado and known mostly for its Gold Telluride. There are natural plain gold and other hard-rock gold mining in the area also.

Does anyone know what this thing is that I put beside the Telluride sample for size comparison? It is a Gastropod Operculum. They are found around here as a fossil left over from the days when this area was a sea bed. This one is more new. I picked it up on the beach of an island in the Philippines. I guess they should be found along our gulf coast areas also. http://www.nansaidh.us/operc/index1.html
DSC_0032.JPG
Anywho...
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#77 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi – Here is another bit of ‘Myth Busting’. The story that it was not possible to have a computer destroy itself is a myth. Yesterday I was watching on TV a long program about ‘Life in North Korea’. Sure it was slanted towards the negatives. But one point caught my attention, how easy it was for them to hack into Sony Pictures in LA and destroy their computers in retaliation for them to say that they were coming out with an exposé, about their current leader. My computer, this computer is hacked every day and probable most others have this problem with all of the unwanted advertisements and garbage. I understand that the Microsoft 10 program has some kind of resistance to this but I don’t know. I will assume that it is not too affective. A local high school kid here said that one of the first things that they learned in their extra curricular “Computer Club’ was how to hack. I just checked with BING and they show dozens of ways to hack a system. I gather that basically most all involve changing administrators and then changing the passwords. I have never tried it.

But to the ‘Myth’ part about a computer not being able to destroy itself...In the TV program it was pointed out that the Sony Computers were, “Fried”. This I think is a true part...it is done with a ‘loop’ line or two of programming code. The computers are actually fried from over heating. The self-cooling design is enough for ‘normal’ use, but if a line of ‘Loop’ code is installed, a chip can be put into a non-ending loop where the chip is just put into this loop and with constant working it just overheats and burns open. There can be ‘anti looping’ circuits built in but then there can be ‘anti-anti looping designs’, and so forth.

Just trivial trivia – but in 1958-60 I worked for Magnavox Research labs with my small part in building this computer, the ‘Sage Computer’, it is still known as the biggest computer ever built. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-Auto ... nvironment
This article says there were 24 of these computers...actually there were 20 pairs and 4 central computers. There were 20 pairs, with one in standby in case one would go down and 4 central computers. http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/20th/sage.html
And the 40 weighed 250 ton each. That is a lot of ‘stuff’. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sa ... &FORM=IGRE
We were having people making printed circuit boards in their garages and we would go around LA and pick these up, bring them in and solder on the components. This was at the very start of printed circuit board design.

The main reason that I was hired by Magnavox was that when I was in the Air Force in the spring of 1955 I volunteered to go to the Artic area to work with the building of the DEW LINE,
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=de ... &FORM=IGRE which was to feed the information to this Sage Computer. (Which these sites went on to be). At the time these sites consisted of two Canadians, one tent and one 55 gallon old fed stove. The idea was to drop at each site a D4 Cat from a C-119 plane so they could smooth out a runway so they could start flying in the material for the radar sites. I was one of two radio and navigation maintenance guys for the planes doing all of the dropping and flying stuff out of Frobisher Bay on Baffin Island to these sites...with all kinds of wild stories. With little or no radio navigation and right near the north magnetic pole, the compasses were useless and this left many planes lost and running out of fuel scattered all over the ice. They could usually land okay but couldn’t take off because of the snow. They were just lost and went down when the ice melted later on in the spring. Visualize this- there were a bunch of contract operators like Tiger Airlines flying C-46’s and they flew with one pilot and no co-pilot, one got lost and ran out of fuel and when found one of our planes was to drop him a hand pump and a fifty five drum of fuel . He had landed on a small stretch of ice and our C-47 pilot didn’t want to chance not being able to take off so he flew down close to the ice and they pushed out a drum of fuel but each time the drums busted open. So they just dropped a drum in a snow bank a quarter of mile away and that pilot had to man-handle that fuel back to the plane and fly back home. And that was a lucky day for the pilot at ‘White-Rock’. Other wise he would have to wait for a snow-cat to come out to pick him up, and that could take a day or more. Look at the area on the map – that was a lot of space with no neighbors.

At Frobisher Bay we lived in a wooden shack built in 1942 with one oil burning stove and my bunk was say 30 feet from the stove where I slept in my Goose-Down Mummy Bag.

Here is a 20 minute long story of the project...it was a six year part of my working days. At my next job my boss had been a radar maintenance guy at one of these Dew Line Sites, which I had been at.
http://www.almadenairforcestation.com/sage.html

Oh well, as the world turns....
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#78 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:14 pm

DSC_0035.JPG
Here is a neat little gun. Some may call it not much of a gun, but I think it is a neat little gun. No it is not something that one would want to take in to battle.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#79 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:01 pm

DSC_0008.JPG
This was my Jack Rabbit gun when I lived in the Mojave desert.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#80 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:03 pm

I have a feeling that Brewers Rice may work better than ground corn cob for a brass cleaning media and cheaper. Also what would be wrong with ground oyster shells for those living near the gulf areas. Both could be cleaned easily and reused.

I just found out that one doesn't have to live near the gulf for ground oyster shell - 9.99 for 50 pounds at our local Tractor Supply. I just have to see if it is small enough.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#81 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Just some Hit-n-Miss info for what it’s worth. Nothing that I say should be interpreted as to fact or ‘only’ or as ‘always’ – it is just what I do and think.
This photo is of a couple of Allen wrenches and a Philips screw driver insert ground off flat and with edges sharpened to rework flash holes in brass. I have epoxied some leather around the wrench pieces just for centering in the cases.
All Allen Wrenches and screw driver inserts are not created equal. Some are harder than others.
I have found all Allen Wrenches are too soft to hold much of an edge, some more so than others. But I have found that I can cut, or file, some tooling edges on an Allen Wrench and then harden them and the edge will last longer. I can take a cup of ice water with ice and add enough regular table salt so that it all doesn’t dissolve, and heat the tool with a regular propane torch to as red as I can get it and then plunge it in the ice water. If I use a Mapp Gas torch I can make it harder...I can get it hotter. One thing about using an Allen Wrench is that it may last a life time. It can usually be resharped many times. And if one happens to have access to some mercury. this will work better than water. Just cool the mercury as cold as one can get it, above its freezing point. And for regular brass cases one can rework the inside flash-hole of maybe 100 brass cases before resharpening.
I have some Case Hardening Compound and have found this to work better than salt water sometimes. And I happened to have all kinds of sharpening stones and Dremel tools.
I can test and compare the hardness of metals with a fine file.
Another thing, Carbide tools can get pricey but these cheap imported Masonry Carbide bits can be sharpened, to even drill good steel. They just have to be sharpened with a fine stone, or diamond file, and this can take some finesse. And for sure, all Carbides are not created equal. There are all kinds and types and grades of Carbides. C2 grade is a common grade and just because these imported C2 Carbide tools are so called, it doesn’t mean a thing....they haven’t raised their hand and sworn them to be C2, if that would help. But anyway I buy them and use them – I find them hard enough for me. I don’t do any professional work, or any kind of gunsmithing for anyone, except for me.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#82 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:09 pm

DSC_0037.JPG
Oh my gosh, I forgot to include the photo....
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#83 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Scan-001.BMP.jpg
I was just watching on TV about TET 68 in Vietnam and it brought back some memories. Were any of you guys there? This was me a couple of nights before TET 68 started and the bottom photo was about the second night. At midnight the first night of TET the front lines were just about 50 yards to my right and the fighting lasted to about 8 am the next day. I spent the night in the bunker and luckily there were enough Marines there. I was a non combatant civilian advisor, on paper. The bottom picture was just after a rocket hit the small arms dump a couple of days after TET started and our work area was just across a 20 foot dirt road from it. The ammo cooked off for a couple of days and our work area was surrounded with sand bags, but the brass from the ammo would fall on our sheet metal roof. One of the rockets hit the ground 15 feet from a coworker and it just stuck in the ground. But his luck ran out later, when his plane went down. I had a room mate for a while that was a Navy Ensign and he was the OIC of a 12 man marine forward observer team and he and 6 others of them were killed by a VC Mortar later. This was on the Marine side of DaNang Air Base

Just like the old song that went...”It was a hot time in the old town to night.”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#84 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Okay, the Mauser K98 is known for its...what...its smooth operation. Any of that is all made possible by its bolt finish and some of the inside of the receiver ‘finish’.
The main component of ‘smoothness’ is the compromise in the strength of the firing pin spring, period. It doesn’t make any difference if it cocks on opening or cocks on closing. The other day I really took a good look at one. My conclusion was, and is, that it is the most illogical bolt that I think I’ve seen, ‘for a military firearm’.
I realize that I may have 98 percent of the owners and users against me in this respect....but when I gave that a good looking over I saw a bolt that had so much milling work that it may have cost half, or more, of the finished cost of the rifle. I don’t think that that is logical, not one bit logical. I think that the Germans got carried away with ‘Prestige’. When they came out with that K98 they really impressed the world, and kept that basically same bolt until when, 1945. A plain bolt design like a simple .22 type one will find on a repeater .22 would have worked at much, much less cost. Mr. Carcano came out with his about the same time frame. As far as I am concerned his lacked just one thing, not being able to close on a chambered round. I think he just wanted to save that last little bit in cost.
When one takes a couple of turns from a firing pin spring some Lock Time will be lost, sure, but it will run smoother.

When I retired here in 95, I took a machining class at a VOTEC school. Of course I am no machinist but I can sure appreciate all of that machining on that K98 bolt. Those bolts took skilled and experienced machinists. I would have taken all of the machining classes, and more but the drive is just too darn far.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#85 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Just my observations – Someone mentioned that the membership of the forum is so low...and participation is less. I just counted the membership with ‘Zero’ postings and got 534, or close to, with what looks like 1022 total. Now why is this so low? I can offer my two cents worth. But, but...I am sure that the owner of the site will not agree, and of course it is his railroad and I shan’t disagree with that.

The first reason that I can think of is that the zero posters are ‘afraid’ to say something for fear that they may say something that may offend or disagree with a moderator and those reasons can just come out of the blue. Don’t get me wrong here. Disagreements can get out of hand, oh yes, just because with some civility is not in their vocabulary. I am referring to the ones with no personal disagreement, just where a moderator may think that it may offend some one that happens to be reading this forum.

Next, for some reason most may think that there is a rule that each posting has to be as short as possible. Think about it, will a ten-word, one sentence posting usually be all that interesting? It can be yes, but usually??? Now others will have reasons for this, no matter – not even worth mentioning, ?? – no matter.

As one may notice brevity is not something that I may be a fan of. If a person feels that they should not make any mistakes, they can’t say much...and is not saying much all that interesting?

Enough of that----I just saw where someone mentioned that the Mosin Nagants were selling out at over 300 dollars. I understand free enterprise and all of that, “You pays your money, you takes your choice.” But I just recently bought one at BIG FIVE for an even 100 dollars, with all of the accessories, even the bayonet. It was one of the ‘refurbished’ ones, yes, dated 1943, but to me looked really nice as if it wasn’t used, except for the stock, which was okay, it was just cheaply refinished. I am in the process of stripping that and refinishing. Boy do they have heavy riflings. When they call your information in to whoever when one buys one, is there a limit to how many one can buy? If not, it looks like to me that one could build up their MAD money by shopping at BIG FIVE and selling at the gun shows. For 62 years I have noticed that the surplus gun prices have been hard to beat at BIG FIVE....and so, so much easier than dealing with mail order...especially after 1968. Again, my three cents worth.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#86 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:33 pm

DSC_0038.JPG

Just like I was saying, “You pays your money, you takes your choice.” This ‘may’ be as good as the one I bought from BIG FIVE, for $100 - Same year, maybe same batch. Some may see them for 349.00 and think they should grab them....and some do. Notice how truthful they wanted to be, (used).

Right here in river city...ten years ago someone bought up some ‘nothing special’ land that has been vacate for what, 4.5 billion years and made a big 20 by 15 foot sign, “THE FUTURE HOME OF HAMPTON HILTON MOTEL”. I smelled a rat, but the guy had it replated into smaller lots, sold them all and rode off into that sunset with a fist full of money. I just thought how easy it is to Flim-Flam the Flim-Flamable. And really there are no laws against such a deal when done right. That sign was there for maybe two years before it was torn down. One time I was in northern India and a 12 year old daughter of a coworker ask me how she could tell just what these local stones were worth. And I said, "Well it's like this, there are worth to you, just what you are willing to pay for them." Her dad, just a short while later, married a multi millionaire and quit his job. Her dad understood what I had told her.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#87 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Finnish M-N M28-57.jpg
I think that my Mosin may look cool with a stock like this - remember I have only 100 invested in mine. I have a bent bolt and rear sights to add. Work up a good load with good bullets, why not? Just would have to find the time.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#88 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Mosin Nagant bolt polishing ---

I find most if not a lot of YouTubes can be other than useful – miss-leading, with no merit and even wrong. But here is one that I would say ‘can’ be useful to probable everyone here. I say useful not on just the Mosin bolt but in general each and every bolt out there. I know that there are people that do firmly believe that ‘no’ firearm shall be fixed or altered in any way after it comes from its factory and that is their prerogative. But I have been doing this to bolts ever since I don’t know when. I have polishing grits up to as fine as 50,000 diamond and find myself buying the 3 M polishing paper at Wal-Mart quite often.

I make my own felt polishing fobs by epoxying them on nails and such. These are some that I have made. I like the way that this guy mentions often that not to try to polish the tooling mark away, just polish the sharp tops of them. So I think that this guy is completely, 100 % correct with his video. Well heck...I can’t find it again so..........I can only suggest just look at a bunch of them, they will hit most of the points....Mosin Nagant bolt polishing...and, I think that most don’t bother with this anyway. And I am going to cut one turn off of my firing pin spring of the Mosin to start with. It looks like that I can buy all of the replacements that I wish for 5 $. I will replace the bolt handle with a nice looking bent one, not just with the real bent bolt.
DSC_0039.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#89 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
When I was in Russia one time, They gave us a tour of a Merchant Marine Academy - and had a couple of the guys stand for photos.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#90 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:59 pm

LEE MENTING - Every time I do it I get an egg-shell shape cavity, that is to say, the bullet across the gate is larger in diameter than the other direction by at least one thousandth, and usually more like one and a half. I assume the reason is that the grit builds up in the joint of the mold. But..........I can’t figure out a cure.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”