Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Late war M44 correct finish

1891, 91/30, M38, M44, 91/59, P-series, M27, M28, M28-30 and M39
CRomanos
United States of America

Late war M44 correct finish

#1 Post by CRomanos » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:20 am

Several years ago I bought a pair of what Centerfire called "battlefield pickup" M44s with 1945 dates. I'm finally getting around to cleaning them up and once I got all the cosmolene out of the stocks I found wood and nothing but - not a trace of shellac anywhere. So I'm wondering, what was the correct original treatment for these rifles, and what would be a proper modern version?

BLO? Possibly sent to the front entirely unfinished?

I was thinking I might use some Tom's 1/3 mix, but eager to hear other suggestions. Certainly open to leaving them unfinished, too, if that's correct for the rifle.

swede
United States of America

Re: Late war M44 correct finish

#2 Post by swede » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:33 am

I had a stock in similar shape that I had to make my own stain and then used blo topped with tom's 1/3 mix. It came out great.

CRomanos
United States of America

#3 Post by CRomanos » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:13 am

I'm thinking that the late war models would not have had that involved a finish. Found an article on mosinnagant.net that implied that they stopped using shellac to speed up production, but doesn't say what they went to, if anything

Aladinbama
United States of America

#4 Post by Aladinbama » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:35 pm

Should be done with t by now, but the correct finish for nearly all pre-war and war time Russian rifles was shellac. It's possible yours could have been restocked, but ...... reworks were nearly all shellacked

Return to “Russian and Finnish Rifles”