Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Interesting Gun Failures

wjh
United States of America

Re: Interesting Gun Failures

#31 Post by wjh » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:14 pm

72 usmc,

I've got some of these, but I haven't loaded any yet.
http://gardnerscache.com/6_5mm_170_fp_g_c.html

The older Lee die set had .264 and .268 expanders. You might find a used set. The new die set only has the .264, but they will make a .268 expander for an extra $10. You can check it out on their site.

slowbob2
United States of America

#32 Post by slowbob2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:13 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:58 pm
Thanks I will try those and the recommended formula with my IMR 3031. I stumbled onto this interesting info. while looking for/at Carcano reloading info. see lower link.

I can not hit a target with any of my 5 Carcanos with Prvi ammo. Not sure if it's all :text-bs: but an interesting read. :roll: But a Carcano would be the last rifle anyone in there right mind would use from what I see shooting one and trying to hit a target on paper at 75 yards. I got better luck just throwing the Prvi factory cartridge at the target. Maybe all Carcano calvary carbines are garbage as far as shooters. The thin pig sticker bayonet is not too robust either? They do look nice.
Makes one think...
Kennedy & the Carcano :shock: very, very, very, long winded you need an hour or two :lol:
https://deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/ar ... 13292.html
Carcano's are way down the list for accuracy for my military rifles , but they are sure usable . My best shooters will 3 to 4 inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards , one of the best being a Cav carbine . I read some of the above link , again more bad info . The guy was guessing ? , what size what bullets were , I have examples of all of them so I just measured mine . The military bullet was NOT .268 , nor was the WCC bullet [ it is .263 ] . He also does not know Carcano bore sizes changed over the 50 years and different models of rifles . He also does not understand the LAND size was more important than the groove size .

CGSteve
United States of America

#33 Post by CGSteve » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:41 pm

72 usmc, those were my thoughts exactly about the rifle after posting my experiences of shooting mine (the thread is a few below yours). I know they were never as popular as other milsurps, but it should not be this complicated to enjoy a surplus rifle. I am not set up to reload. Like you initially, I just want to purchase factory ammo that won't flop out of the barrel or be dangerous to shoot! Only thing I can think of is maybe good surplus ammo was more available at the time of the JFK assassination?

slowbob2
United States of America

#34 Post by slowbob2 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:29 am

Surplus ammo had nothing to do with JFK . Winchester made ammo [ with the .263 bullet ] was found at the site .

Return to “Italian Rifles”