http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I would like to present my Carcano carbine, model M91/24. I know that is in not good condition but it is an attic find. Nevertheless there is an interesting story behind.
15 years ago I desperately searched for one nice wood for M95 short rifle. I got an info about one hunter which transformed one M95 carbine into hunting rifle. I visited him and kindly ask for the wood. I asked him for the price and he told me quite high prize- around 150 $. I didn't have so much money but i told him, that I will bring money next day. When I came next day, I gave money. After that he sad: wait a little bit. He come back with one German M16 helmet and this small carbine. Probably he was little embarrassed because of the asked price.
I was very happy and i had one week hard work to turn back the little carbine in life again. It is all original and his grand pa brought this Carcano from the ww2.

Originally it was long rifle M91, produced in 1917. TERNI refurbish long rifles from 1925 till 1929. They kept long rear sight. It is very handy and light.

Italian M33 helmet, Italian ww2 combat pack and camouflage M29 tent are also from my village!

Attachments:
Carcano M91 24.jpg
Carcano M91 24.jpg [ 356.75 KiB | Viewed 2538 times ]
M91 24.jpg
M91 24.jpg [ 364.92 KiB | Viewed 2538 times ]
M91 24 sight.jpg
M91 24 sight.jpg [ 91.08 KiB | Viewed 2538 times ]
M91 24 bolt.jpg
M91 24 bolt.jpg [ 126.16 KiB | Viewed 2538 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:43 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

A genuine historical artifact! :thumb: I like it! Ren

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Wow great find, I love the pictures with all the equipment, makes an awesome grouping.

Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:26 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

:o :thumb: Those are the kind of finds I like. Lucky dog.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:45 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Thanks for all comments. I've already said that we (Slovenians) have in Western part of Slovenia a quite strange habbit :mrgreen: (for EUROPE). And this is that every man should have at least one rifle (and pistol). Just in case or that you have some possibility to hunt deers. So every house has some secret places with old weapons and you should be very careful when you have some reconstruction works.
You never know, what is behind the walls or in the barn or attic.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:37 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Merry Christmas.

Have you fired it, or do you ever plan to?

The Italian pack looks a lot like the more recent Serbian packs that are for sale surplus here recently.

Thanks for the pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:59 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Great find! That's some neat equipment there. Thanks for posting.

CDFingers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:12 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

M67 wrote:
Italian M33 helmet, Italian ww2 combat pack and camouflage M29 tent are also from my village!

You live in such an interesting part of the world. I have been fascinated with the history of that area ever since seeing a multi-colored map showing the languages and cultural borders within the Austro-Hungarian empire before its break-up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

junkbug wrote:
Merry Christmas. Have you fired it, or do you ever plan to? The Italian pack looks a lot like the more recent Serbian packs that are for sale surplus here recently. Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks for asking! No, I would not dare shooting with this carbine. I have others for such an experiment. It deservedly retired and ended its shooting military career.
Combat pack is really similar to Yugoslav army combat pack. I have some of them. And I still keep my from our 10 days war during 1991. This Italian one is a little bit bigger.

SE Pennsylvania wrote:
You live in such an interesting part of the world. I have been fascinated with the history of that area ever since seeing a multi-colored map showing the languages and cultural borders within the Austro-Hungarian empire before its break-up..

And yes, this western part of Slovenia is very, very interesting from historical point of view. If you check my posts you will see many different types off military equipment, uniforms, weapons, bayonets..etc.
Please, take a look!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

M67 wrote:
And this is that every man should have at least one rifle (and pistol). Just in case or that you have some possibility to hunt deers. So every house has some secret places with old weapons and you should be very careful when you have some reconstruction works.
You never know, what is behind the walls or in the barn or attic.

Wonderful Find, Many thanks for sharing.. Just a couple questions.. Why are the old weapons put in Secret places?? And not just displayed..

Why do you feel you do not want to shoot it, Does it look damaged or rusted in spots, ???

Many thanks again..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:57 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Because it was illegal! In Yugoslavia period it was aloud just hunting rifles. Military rifles were prohibited.

The old carbine has 100 hundred years, some parts are rusted and wood is not sound.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:20 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

M67 wrote:
Because it was illegal! In Yugoslavia period it was aloud just hunting rifles. Military rifles were prohibited.

The old carbine has 100 hundred years, some parts are rusted and wood is not sound.

Thanks again or your response, would love to see some close ups of some of the rougher parts... Do you plan to break the gun down and clean it.??? Does the bolt cycle, or is it froze up??

And one more question, and I am trying to to ask real dumb questions, but why would that rifle not be considered a hunting rifle?? Again talking generalities over here a bolt action rifle could be considered a hunting rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:51 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Illegal weapons were:
firstly because all the military equipment and weapons was owned by the state (State property),
secondly, because it is not possible to prove the origin of weapons.

Military weapons can not be used for hunting purposes in Slovenia without the relevant entry/registred in the proper weapons license which requires an internationally recognized CIP.

In the later period, after the collapse of Yugoslavia in the country of Slovenia held three of abolition of weapons of unknown origin. And I then reported this gun and executed the registration process so that I have received the proper weapons license for collection.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Many thanks m67 for taking the time to explain the rules & laws..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

This is not the 1st story I have heard from your part of the world, I need to move. :mrgreen: