http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:07 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Just won this in an online auction. I like good clean up rifles like this to save and bring back. The auction house didn't put too much info on arsenal or series number, but you can see it's a Nagoya on the receiver. 8th series perhaps? Lots of surface rust and some a bit deeper, but I'm hoping I can save it. Stock looks un messed with in my opinion and still has some writing in paint on the butt stock. Supposedly the mum is still intact but it's hard to see in the photos. I know a lot of times people will claim intact mums if even the tiniest part still shows.

The sling appears to be one of the "quick detach" varieties. Hopefully the metal on that will clean up a bit too. I figured those are a bit hard to find and it looks like it was on this rifle for some time. It was one of the other reasons I decided to try and pick it up.

Any thoughts, besides that I'm crazy for picking this up? Haha! I paid $290, but it'll be a bit more than that after shipping and buyers fees. I like cleaning up these "closet find" Japanese rifles this past year.

Help contribute to my Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant website!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:43 pm 

Sling is worth more than the gun...

Dale

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Those are fun to clean up, since the finish is supposed to be pretty bad to begin with! I'll bet it cleans up nicely--please post some "after" pics...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:12 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Odd all I see are ? in boxes, no photos #-o

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Finally cleaned up my 8th series Nagoya Type 99 I bought at an auction in Florida last month. It could still use a bit more work, but the active rust is pretty much all taken care of. It took putting the bolt in an electrolysis tank to finally get it apart. I use a brass brush to finish it off and now it works perfectly. Only downside is some of the bluing was lost to the rust on the bolt, but everything else came out fine. The wire bale sling also came out perfect minus some rust damage on the sling itself.

The rifle is all matching and looks great with the patina it has built up. Let me hear your thoughts everyone!

Help contribute to my Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant website!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:43 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Oh she looks really nice. You did good. And Dale would know, the along is very valuable. The people her are the best group I have been. With and they know their stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:53 pm 

Nice gun, and the sling is not common...You have the sling backwards, the single strap end with the stitched on tag goes on the barrel band and double to the lower swivel, other than that minor detail, you have done well with this one.

Dale

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

That's an awesome example that I would gladly have in my collection!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:50 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Wow I think that's great work on the clean up.