Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Marlin Model 19 Shotgun

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Marlin Model 19 Shotgun

#1 Post by vonalt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:00 pm

Not really a military shotgun that I am aware of but still an interesting obscure model that was made at the turn of the last century. The model 19 was only made for 2 year, 1906-07. This one came from a former SAS shooter. As I understand it, the shotgun was made in two versions. One was strictly black powder and the other for modern smokeless powders. The furniture will be stained to match original condition. Still a pretty neat collector.
Marlin model 19  1904 A.jpg
Marlin 19 1904 B.jpg
Marlin 19 1904 c.jpg
Marlin 19 1904 D.jpg

Polock
United States of America

Re: Marlin Model 19 Shotgun

#2 Post by Polock » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Neat gun! Do u think the engraving is original from Marlin??
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Please be VERY careful shooting this shotgun. There are many here in Albuquerque gun shops with warning tags "Not safe to shoot, for collectors only" If you have an early gun,it is possible for you to have a false battery condition. It looks to be locked and it is not. You fire the gun and the bolt flies back into your face.
You can call Ron Peterson's Firearms about the safety of these shotguns. He and his employees are very knowledgeable about these shotguns.
Phone: 505-255-8695
​Email: rpguns@att.net
http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... php?t=1871
http://www.marlinforum.com/articles/mar ... mp-the-mod
http://marauder.homestead.com/files/marlin98s.htm
I would hate to read you or any member was injured firing this shotgun that fails the safety test listed in the above link.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

#4 Post by vonalt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:02 am

Rob, I read the same warning on line. The gun was inspected by one gun smith and it was used by a SASS shooter before it was purchased. Its going to be a wall hanger here.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:51 am

Cool. They are very nice shotguns. I was handling just yesterday several 19's as they were the top-of-the-line engraved. There was a full rack off them,all marked not safe to shoot. As per Ron's gunsmith as they failed the test.
I'm a big shotgun guy and have "a few" in my collection as my wife and I are avid Trap and Sporting Clays shooters.
I've always liked the old pump shotguns and would have bought a couple of the Marlins had they been deemed a safer design. But if that was the case they would be very collectible and expensive today.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Polock
United States of America

#6 Post by Polock » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Some good info here---tho I do recall a post on some (Marlin??) forum that walked u thru the test to see if the gun was operating safely the way it was originally.
Not to say if one passed the test it would be a good idea to shoot, but one wonders if the gun would be safe with light dove/quail loads.
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

#7 Post by vonalt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:03 pm

Some of the Marlins were marked black powder only. I would definitely heed what the gun was labeled for. PLus there was a Marlin service alert a while back on all Marlin exposed hammer shotguns, bottom line was don't shoot them.

HectorFuego
United States of America

#8 Post by HectorFuego » Tue May 22, 2018 8:38 pm

I have a Marlin 1898 shotgun which was the first generation of the exposed hammer pump guns. My grandfather hunted the fields and woods of north central Kansas with it when he was 10 years old. That would have been in 1903. It needed some restoration when it came into my possession in 1985. It sat in my gun safe for about 20 years and I felt it should either be repaired and fired or de-milled. I chose the repair. Once it was shootable (BP 2-1/2" shells only) I made sure my dad and my son both shot it. Counting me that would be 5 generations firing the same shotgun. It's a great piece of family history, but for safety sake it's essential that the shooter makes sure it's locked into battery before pulling the trigger.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

Return to “Military Shotguns”