Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Guadalcanal captured type 38

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
burban89
United States of America

Guadalcanal captured type 38

#1 Post by burban89 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Hey again everyone. Here's one of my more recent finds that I just love. I bought this from a coworker of my mom's at the VA while we were visiting her a few months ago at her home. Her father brought this home from Guadalcanal along with a few other items that over the years ended up being lost or sold off but I was lucky that this rifle was still around. He didn't scratch his name into the stock but he did scratch into the butt portion when it was captured (8/22/42). I gave her a fair offer for it since it would be a forever piece in my collection. Anyway hope you guys like it as much as I do.
Attachments
image456.jpg
image456.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
image455.jpg
image455.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
image457.jpg
image457.jpg (16.03 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
image454.jpg
image454.jpg (19.35 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
image453.jpg

echo1
United States of America

Re: Guadalcanal captured type 38

#2 Post by echo1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:18 pm

I love it. I HAD one quite similar given to me by my uncle in 1960. He and my pops were in the 1st Filipino Regiment. Last year, he told me he liberated it when they came ashore in New Guinea. I cut mine down, when I was a kid. Now I building a Carbine clone out of it. PAX

retread12345678
United States of America

#3 Post by retread12345678 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:45 pm

Love the captured guns

mauserdad
United States of America

#4 Post by mauserdad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:30 am

Congrats. Nice.
John 3:16 & 17 KJAV
NRA Life Member

72 usmc
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:28 am

It is always best to have some written or photographic provenience with the rifle from the family. Have the former owner write down her story about what her dad told her. Get a picture and as much info on the vet. Do some research and see where he served. Get any remaining personal items you can. Or make copies of any remaining family documents they do not want to part with. Most bring backs have intact mums and slings with matching parts. Some have carved in art/grafitti like yours or have a stamped /engraved brass tag attached. Any provenience that you can obtain will increase its historical value.

DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS STATMENT this is for other readers. You known the rifle is real, but you must always attempt to obtain as much information as possible to document such a treasure. As just a rifle at a gun show... It's just a story lacking prov., you know what they say, buy the rifle, not the story. With documented proof it becomes a historical treasure. Get the vets name, unit, serial number, rank and a letter providing information about that rifle. Please consider getting more documentation ---copies or the original items like orders, letters, uniforms, photos of the vet. Have the seller tell the story in a letter she dates and signs. When searching out WW II bring backs think PROVENIENCE and DOCUMENTATION. The rifle then becomes a historical treasure, not just a rifle. That is one fine example, now please search out & document that treasure. You can find out service & military records for the vet under a FOLD3 search, but you have to be a member see https://www.fold3.com/?xid=2052&slid=&p ... 5Bfold3%5D
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”