Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Survival Situation

Smokey
United States of America

Survival Situation

#1 Post by Smokey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:59 am

This topic has probably been discussed many times, but thought it was worth revisiting.
What do folks think of the M1 for a really bad situation? This would following an EMP attack, foreign invasion, civil uprising etc.

I've found it to be limited in capacity, but faster to reload than a lot of detachable magazine types, and faster than a lot of charger clip (stripper clip) designs.
Some minor tuning makes one in good condition surprisingly accurate. Gas plugs can be changed to use commercial ammo. The .30-06 is adequate for most game on the continent. Reloads at greatly reduced power work for small game. It's heavy, but carries well "ready to use" in both hands. It's certainly rugged and reliable.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

les1234
United States of America

Re: Survival Situation

#2 Post by les1234 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:27 pm

It's a great rifle, but....heavy, ammo is heavy, and it's dependent on a ready supply of clips. In the military, that wasn't a problem, they just supplied ammo on clips from the factory.

rob
United States of America

#3 Post by rob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:53 am

The M1 is my favorite rifle but in that situation I would go to my AK. It is lighter more compact and can take 30rd mags or 75rd drums

Smokey
United States of America

#4 Post by Smokey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:57 am

There are locations where the Garand is the only one permitted of all the other rifles mentioned.
That's why I raised the topic.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

echo1
United States of America

#5 Post by echo1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Smokey wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:57 am
There are locations where the Garand is the only one permitted of all the other rifles mentioned.
That's why I raised the topic.
Would it matter what's permitted in such an occurrence? Pretty vague scenario. Hunker down holding the fort, or on the move? Solo or with your crew? PAX

M14man
United States of America

#6 Post by M14man » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:48 pm

good point echo...hell with the law when all hell breaks out!

Smokey
United States of America

#7 Post by Smokey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:23 am

Well, you start out with what you have at the time. If an M1 is the best you've got, then that's what you'll have to use.
Might be difficult to comprehend existing in a repressive state.

echo1
United States of America

#8 Post by echo1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 am

M14man wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:48 pm
good point echo...hell with the law when all hell breaks out!
There would still be RULE OF LAW, and you'd need to be cautiously courteous, in a savage manner, but mag capacity would be the last thing on my mind. With these types of hypothetical questions, for me there's only one kind of scenario, epic fail, Biblical. Foreign invasion??? That's where you get to witness what a global thermonuclear exchange looks like in person. Anything short of that will only be temporary. But.......I think something is gravely amiss in these troubled times, and it'll come from left field. PAX

Petros600
Greece

#9 Post by Petros600 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:36 pm

Too heavy, it’s ar15 for me!!

Smokey
United States of America

#10 Post by Smokey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:24 pm

I won't argue the weight. I carry one regularly so I got used it.
I've been bothered by bear and moose here, and wild Russian boar are starting to spread into the area from further north.
The 223 might be adequate for all the above, but I'm a lot more comfortable with the power of the .30-06.
If I could, a .308 in an AR-15 type platform might be ideal.
Still the weight of a Garand is between the hands, carrying it ready to use; so it's not too bad.
A really muzzle-heavy rifle would be a lot more tiring, even a pound lighter.

CRomanos
United States of America

#11 Post by CRomanos » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:56 pm

In an SHTF situation, it's AK47 (or some decent variant) all the way as a first choice, but if that's restricted, I would consider something like a sub-rifle in 9mm (KT Sub-2000), or maybe a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30 if you needed a punchier round. Lighter than an M1 with better capacity.

echo1 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 am
... But.......I think something is gravely amiss in these troubled times, and it'll come from left field. PAX
Not so sure about that - it wasn't lefties stirring sh*t up in Charlottsville. The latest Florida school shooter and Dylan Roof both had ties to the alt-right. Antifa is a great bugaboo for conservatives, but isn't nearly as prevalent, and primarily (though not exclusively) a reaction to the tiki-torch wielders.

Just sayin'

Smokey
United States of America

#12 Post by Smokey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:41 am

What prompted my question is the democrat-controlled areas; where anything that uses a detachable-box magazine is banned and prohibited from private ownership. In some places it appears even the SKS types are restricted. Those folks will start out in a SHTF situation with what they have at the time.
For those who live in freer locations; be thankful and appreciate your freedom.

redeagle
United States of America

#13 Post by redeagle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:16 am

I love the M1. Any weapon in a shtf scenario is better than none. It's not what I would pick in advance.
My interests are sport shooting but zombie prep is a fun topic. Even in restricted states there are many options that will serve.
If its defense, a shotgun/pistol combo is tough to beat in the home.

Smokey
United States of America

#14 Post by Smokey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:43 am

A shotgun with buckshot or slugs is probably one of the deadliest firearms at close range. For SHTF, a trio of shotgun, rifle and handgun would answer practically anything. Maybe add a 22 rifle.

reivertom
United States of America

#15 Post by reivertom » Thu May 17, 2018 9:59 pm

I has already proven itself in the ultimate survival situation.

Return to “M1 Garand”